Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

Billy Summers (August 3, 2021)

Comments

• Because it is Patreon who get content first, will they make it available later for the riff raff??
    I'm not sure -- everyone runs their Patreons differently
    I hope so. I’d like to hear your thoughts on Billy. 

GNTLGNTNotaroMarshacatspideyman
  • Okay i’m stalling.  Must. Read. Billy. 
    GNTLGNTNotaroMarshacatspideyman
  • ....CD is moving at it's usual backwards snail's pace getting it to me.....
    NotaroHedda Gablerdoyoulove19Marshacat
  • edited August 2021

big spoilers— don’t read. Don’t quote this post because it will automatically  open it and you will see the spoiler. 

Aw to the hell no.   Does he die? Did alice make up this fairytale? Crappppp.   I wanted him to walk into the sunset a free man.  It’s  gonna take me hours to read 21 pages to learn what i fear i already know. 😔

GNTLGNTdoyoulove19MarshaNotarocatspideyman
  • 503.  It is taking everything in me to keep moving. 
  • Done. 

I cried too. 

big spoilers— don’t read. Don’t quote this post because it will automatically  open it and you will see the spoiler. 

Aw to the hell no.   Does he die? Did alice make up this fairytale? Crappppp.   I wanted him to walk into the sunset a free man.  It’s  gonna take me hours to read 21 pages to learn what i fear i already know. 😔

I had the exact same reaction. But what a wonderfully written book!
    GNTLGNTKurbenHedda GablerMarshaNotarocatspideyman

I had the exact same reaction. But what a wonderfully written book!
    Yes. It was a good story . 
    GNTLGNTMarshaNotarodoyoulove19catspideyman
  • Just finished it. I stopped at 299 last night, picked it up this morning and read the rest in one sitting. 

There will be spoilers...

It was a slow starter for me. I was liking the story but not loving the story. Up to the morning of the assassination and then I started to LOVE the story. I did not expect to end up loving Billy, I wasn't even sure at first if I was supposed to like him, let alone love him...but dammit, I did end up loving him.  So the ending hit me right where it hurts. I wanted a happy ending. Killing your darlings doesn't ALWAYS have to happen, does it??? But, I was also glad it wasn't Alice. I think, that after everything she'd already been through, that would have broken my heart AND pissed me off. As it is, it broke my heart. 

Loved the references to the Overlook and the weird picture of the hedge animals in the summerhouse. To quote another book..."the ground is sour." But also, not. It was also a place for hope and new beginnings, at least for Bucky and Alice. 

Only one minor thing, about cornfields in Nebraska in November...most would be harvested by then, so there wouldn't be walls of corn. And if, (because it does happen from time to time,) there was still corn in the fields, it wouldn't "rustle" anymore. Green, rustling corn plants have turned brown and brittle.  The sound they make in the wind in the fall is more a "rattle." Just a small thing. 

It was a really great story. Going to stick with me a while. 

Now I can go back and watch and read the interviews. I try to wait until I'm done reading. 🙂

MarshaNotarospideymanGNTLGNTHedda Gablerdoyoulove19
  • My only quibble was where he got Alpha-Bits cereal. That was always my favorite, then they changed the formula and ruined it, then they stopped making it altogether. It was only available at Target for a while. Now it's history.
    catMarshaNotarospideymanGNTLGNTHedda Gablerdoyoulove19
  • This is one book I really loved. Had the same reaction as Marsha, Hedda, Doyou, and cat. 
    catKurbenMarshaNotaro
  • Great book, great writing and great story!! Both of them. Loved this one.
    catMarshaNotarospideymanHedda Gabler
  • My only quibble was where he got Alpha-Bits cereal. That was always my favorite, then they changed the formula and ruined it, then they stopped making it altogether. It was only available at Target for a while. Now it's history.
    ....they ruined my childhood cereal favorites through systematic destruction of the brands or the formulas....healthy?!....piffle!!!....I wanted it so sugared up I could run around the house without ever leaving my chair.....
    BevVincentKurbenNotaroMarshaHedda Gablercatdoyoulove19
  • Finished it last night. Really enjoyed it. Not much better than getting lost in a 500+ page King novel.
    Loved all the references to the Overlook and Sidewinder. Hemingford Home, as well. For the potential adaptation, King has already mentioned Jake Gyllenhaal as his choice to play Billy. That works for me. Did anyone else picture Sam Elliott as Bucky. He's a perfect fit.

GNTLGNTcatdoyoulove19Hedda GablerNotaroMarsha
  • ...nice shot of you, but who's the motley looking fool next to ya?....
    Hedda GablercatNotaroMarshaKurbenFlakeNoir
  • ...sooooo, my dumb self is 4 chapters in and enjoying the ensemble cast.....
    MarshaHedda GablerFlakeNoircat
  • .....one minor quibble thus far...

...Billy is supposed to be at the top of the game as his "craftwork" is concerned, so why doesn't he have electronic snoopers that alert him when Nick's crew is dipping in on him?...doesn't really matter, just curious....

catMarsha
  • edited August 2021
    GNTLGNT said:
    .....one minor quibble thus far...

...Billy is supposed to be at the top of the game as his "craftwork" is concerned, so why doesn't he have electronic snoopers that alert him when Nick's crew is dipping in on him?...doesn't really matter, just curious....

My quibble and this  might be a spoiler you wait for till after you are done

Billy didn’t test the guns? He’s a professional. He would’ve tested the guns. 

GNTLGNTcatMarsha
  • ...sounds good....thank you!.....
    Marsha
  • GNTLGNT said:
    .....one minor quibble thus far...

Do you mean on the computer, as he was writing? 

He didn't want them to pick up on the fact that his "dumb self" wasn't his true self. 

Hedda GablerMarshaGNTLGNT