Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

August '04

Comments

• Bev_Vincent wrote: Next time I'm passing through Pearson, I'll do an impromptu signing at the airport!

My first galley appearance on eBay. Someone got in and nuked the auction before it completed.

Bev, just remember you have to give me 4 hours "impromptu" notice to get there! :)

Would this auction have been done by someone who receives ARCs regularly? I wouldn't think it would be a favoured practice?

Lin
  • I'll do my best on giving you notice!

The auctioneer seems to have been a bookseller. This practice is frowned upon by publishers and authors. Someone seems to have intervened and had the auction terminated: technically they are illegal because galleys are "on loan" and not given to reviewers.

Scribner is aggressively pursuing auctions of DT7 galleys. They've all been stopped so far and anyone they've been able to identify is blacklisted from receiving future galleys.

The seller relisted the auction today with a Buy It Now option of $299! I e-mailed him and asked him to stop the auction, and he did immediately.
  • It's like nothing is respected anymore :-/

I would have been honoured to have an ARC/Galley of the RttDT book, and would never ever dream of selling it. I am glad all parties involved are stopping things like this happening.

It's a stain on all new publications everywhere.
  • By the way: Two months from today until the Road to the Dark Tower is published!
  • Bev_Vincent wrote: By the way: Two months from today until the Road to the Dark Tower is published!

We're waiting eagerly, Bev. :D
  • If Pearson is in TO., I'll require 4 hours notice also, thank you kindly ;). I can't wait for your book too, but my feelings are divided on it. When I finally get your book, that means it's the end of Roland and his gang and that makes me sad. I have enjoyed this series so much I'll be very sad to say goodbye to it.
  • But you can say goodbye to it over and over and over - right! I'm listening to Wizard & Glass right now on my commute and having a grand time of it! ;D
  • By the way: Two months from today until the Road to the Dark Tower is published!

:o :o :o :o :oIt's the quiet before the plunge!

Almost done listening to The Drawing of the Three - Wastelands up next!
  • Yes, and I will too...say goodbye over and over...but still, not quite the same as waiting eagerly for a new adventure to start. After the last one comes out, I'll re-read from the first one and get my fix that way.
  • With the ending of a series, no matter that the series' is ended, it is a new oppurtunity to see the books with new eyes and to start picking favourite moments and quotes :)

Each time I come across the ending of a saga, I always feel that I wish it had never ended and then it's off to start on something new. So there is always a new saga waiting for us.

• Yes the ending of The Dark Tower series :( and the resumption of the Thomas Covenant series ;D.

That worked out quite nicely!
  • Kay, we'll each leave at the same time and have a party when we get to the airport! :) Party at Pearson! Bev, you best make sure you at least have a bit of a layover! 8)

Dukky, hello dahling, you're very right -- what if it NEVER ended, I think at some point you want to find out how it ends so that you can discuss everything openly and debate theories and such. My nightmare when SK was involved in his awful accident is that he wouldn't realize his vision of completing the series, and of course in turn, neither would we. :( *breathes sigh of relief*

Lin
  • Lin242 wrote:

Dukky, hello dahling, you're very right -- what if it NEVER ended, I think at some point you want to find out how it ends so that you can discuss everything openly and debate theories and such.  My nightmare when SK was involved in his awful accident is that he wouldn't realize his vision of completing the series, and of course in turn, neither would we. :(  *breathes sigh of relief*

Lin

Hiya, Lin, matey :)

Yes, agree entirely, Lin. Even though the series will end in September, I prefer the closure and the knowing what will happen, rather than leaving thing's to FATE which could have other plans. it will be sad to see the DT series end, but also really fun to see how this fantastic series plays out :)

Then all the talking and debating and the fun stuff starts :)
  • I KNOW I replied to this yesterday, but don't know where it disappeared to! :o
  • Kay, don't you hate when that happens?? :)  The worst is when you type out a whole long post then hit reset instead of post...  :o

Lin :)

By the way, WHERE are Ratty and Jazzy?? Are they on holidays do you think?
  • Last I knew, they were in Malta.

Yes! I hate it bigbig!! I don't even remember what I typed for sure other that I thought it would be a plan to meet at TO if Bev ever gets there for a book signing. Did you see in the reading thread that story about Maine? In the old one. Check it out. And what are you doing online on a Saturday morning???? :o Lin's getting addicted!! ;D
  • Lin's getting addicted!! ;D

She will be hitting 2000 in no time at this rate :)
  • And what are you doing online on a Saturday morning? Lin's getting addicted!!

What do you mean... "getting"! ;) To be honest, I cannot stay off of Brandon's new computer and he has been working since 8:00 a.m. and is staying at his girlfriend's house tonight. I take advantage where I can. ;) Kay, I'll check out the story and thanks for the info about Ratty and Jazz. I get kind of worried when I don't see people for awhile. :)

Lin
  • So, Bev, don't you think you should have a signing in the south? Like say in Chattanooga Tennessee or Atlanta?

You know you want to ;D
  • If money and time weren't an object, I'd be going coast to coast. I wish I could be like Jacqueline Susann, the author of the Valley of the Dolls, and just load up the old Cadillac with a carful of books and wander from town to town!
  • Road Trip! 8)
  • Bev, I just watched a made-for-tv movie about Jacqueline Susann last year, very interesting, and those scenes were in the movie of her loading up her Caddy! I had read Valley of the Dolls before. Her husband was somewhat long-suffering, poor man.

Lin :)
  • I saw a theatrical film based on her starring Bette Midler, too, that depicted pretty much the same thing.
  • Bev, :), I think it's the same movie, I didn't even think of it as being a theatrical release first! ::)

Lin
  • A new record for my Amazon sales rank: 2,581!