Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

New column

Comments

• My Summer Reading in August 5, 2011 issue. Devils in Exile by Chuck Hogan. It's the best damned Clint Eastwood movie that never got made in the rootin' tootin' Magnum shootin' 1970s.
  • is this another summer reading list or just a comment in a larger article by someone else?
  • It's a boxed sidebar in the Books section of the magazine, page 78. There's a picture of King wearing a black t-shirt with a movie-style rating box for something R-rated. Takes up less than 1/4 of the page. The full text:

My Summer Reading

by Stephen King

I'm reading Devils in Exile, by Chuck Hogan. It's a terrific Boston-based crime thriller about Iraq vets who decide to torch the city's drug trade. They grab the money when the big deals go down and trash the drugs. You read this and think, "It's the best damned Clint Eastwood movie that never got made in the rootin' tootin' Magnum shootin' 1970s." Immensely satisfying for the action-minded.

Hogan, by the way, is the author of Prince of Thieves, which was the basis for the Ben Affleck film The Town.
  • Sounds like one I'm going to have to read!

John
  • Hogan is very good -- I read this one last year and enjoyed it a lot, as I did with his earlier novel.
  • "My 2011 Pop Culture Favorites" -- issue #1184 dated 12/9
  • The pop culture favorites item consists of a list of 20 items from all media, a different format from the year-end columns of the past.  Also it's on 3 pages (28-30, I think) instead of 1.

Today I learned that SK will be in the next issue (12/16) as well.  The cover says he'll be writing about the cast of the AMC show The Killing.
  • That will be interesting to read. Thought The Killing took a lot of early viewer good will and flushed it down the toilet by the time the final episode of the season aired.

Also would love to read his thoughts on the recent season finale of Sons Of Anarchy. It really wimped out this season. Enough to cross the show off my viewing list. :(
  • Really? I though SoA had a very strong season, and the finale (except for the slow final 10 minutes) did an excellent job of turning everything upside down.

The Danish version of The Killing ruined the US version for me -- it was so much better.
  • If you mean the first 10 minutes swept away everything that happened over the entire season = turned everything upside down then yes it did a marvellous job.

Jax gets to president but he is a puppet.  Clay gets to walk away from everything he has done; killed Jax's father, Opie's wife, Opie's father, trying to kill Tara, and beating up Gemma: because the Irish will only deal with him and the CIA wants the deal done.

All false drama because there is no payoff.

The initial attraction of the show for me was the 'brotherhood' aspect of a motorcycle gang. That has been totally ruined.

Hit the road SAMCRO!  You are done Charming me.   :)
  • Here is the My Top 20 of 2011 article as a slideshow
  • Lou_Sytsma wrote: If you mean the first 10 minutes swept away everything that happened over the entire season = turned everything upside down then yes it did a marvellous job.

Jax gets to president but he is a puppet.  Clay gets to walk away from everything he has done; killed Jax's father, Opie's wife, Opie's father, trying to kill Tara, and beating up Gemma: because the Irish will only deal with him and the CIA wants the deal done.

All false drama because there is no payoff.

The initial attraction of the show for me was the 'brotherhood' aspect of a motorcycle gang. That has been totally ruined.

Hit the road SAMCRO!  You are done Charming me.   :)

Yes, I mean all of those things. The appealing aspect of the show to me is that it gets us to root for some very, very, very bad people. To a man they are murderers. And yet we want them to prevail against the authorities. However, every now and then they should get some comeuppance for their evil ways, and this season they did. Not the false tension of last season with Jax's son, but true consequences.

Clay isn't walked away. You might as well kill me, he told Jax when Jax stripped him of his presidency. Clay has lost everything, and he's going to be forced to sit there and take it all without being able to explain or defend himself.
  • Bev_Vincent wrote:

The appealing aspect of the show to me is that it gets us to root for some very, very, very bad people. To a man they are murderers. And yet we want them to prevail against the authorities. 

Agreed and that was predicated on the brotherhood aspect of the gang + honour amongst thieves.  Totally lost now.

However, every now and then they should get some comeuppance for their evil ways, and this season they did. Not the false tension of last season with Jax's son, but true consequences.

Clay isn't walked away. You might as well kill me, he told Jax when Jax stripped him of his presidency. Clay has lost everything, and he's going to be forced to sit there and take it all without being able to explain or defend himself.

If a non-lead character other than Clay had done the same things they would either be dead or in jail.  Clay's 'punishment' hardly fits his extensive list of crimes.

If a show is not prepared to deliver on a season long arc of character assassination then they should not go there in the first place.

Plus character-wise it is impossible for me to buy that Jax and/or Opie would not have killed Clay regardless of the CIA.

Lastly, now that the show has carried us through a season long arc only to undo it all the end, how are viewers to trust any new storylines going forward? 

For me, it was all sound and fury, signifying nothing.

Stephen King talks about telling a story honestly.  This one left me feeling cheated.

Glad you enjoyed it though.  And I'm sure the show will do fine without me.
  • From the 12/16/11 issue:

On page 56:  SK on The Killing.

Quote:

Like others, I was dismayed by The Killing’s decline from event television to plain old series television.  But even if the destination sucked, the journey was still a pleasure.  Ms. [Mireille] Enos was stunningly good as the job-obsessed Linden, and the prickly camaraderie that developed between her and Holder was a joy to watch.  Better yet, in The Killing we had a series that showed the true consequences of murder for those left behind.  I ended up not caring a whole lot about who killed Rosie Larsen, but I cared a great deal about her grieving family.

I added the word in brackets; otherwise that's the full item.

Also, one of EW’s Entertainers of the Year, George R. R. Martin, says his Entertainer of the Year is SK (page 61); in an online poll for favorite author, SK places third, behind Suzanne Collins and Martin (page 62); and even though most reviews for Bag of Bones have been not so good (as reported by Bev in another thread), EW gives it a B+ (page 72).
  • From the 2/24/12 issue, page 81:

Stephen King... What I'm Reading Now

I'm reading George R. R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire series--deep into the second volume.  I never thought I'd get into another long fantasy, especially one featuring knights of old and ladies bold, and I'd never read Martin before, but he's a born storyteller with a one-in-a-million imagination.  When I'm not reading about Westeros, I'm thinking about it, even dreaming about it.  The HBO series is terrific--I especially loved Sean Bean as Eddard Stark--but the books are even better.
  • SK has written a review that appears in the DVD section of the new EW (8/31). I can't remember the name of the film but I know I'd never heard of it before.
  • The film is called Entrance. I haven't heard of it, either.
  • Two new columns in the Best and Worst of 2012 issue (12/28/12-1/4/13): the ten best books and TV shows. The latter is especially quirky this year: number 10 is The X-Files.
  • And many of the shows are foreign. I like it.
  • There's a three page interview with King in the newest issue of EW about Doctor Sleep. "6 Books We Can't Wait For -- Stephen King on His Shining Sequel"
  • The next issue of EW (6/21) will have SK's "Under the Dome set diary" in it.
  • Dome night tonight! 8-)
  • There's an appreciation of Elmore Leonard by SK in the new (8/30) issue of EW on page 19 (I think).
  • Leonard’s character-driven prose earned him a host of eminent admirers, from Walker Percy (“He’s as good as the blurbs say: ‘The greatest crime writer of our time, perhaps ever’”) to Stephen King, who said Leonard wrote “the kind of book that if you get up to see if there are any chocolate chip cookies left, you take it with you so you won’t miss anything.”