Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

New column

Comments

• In the June 4/11 issue: The Most Obnoxious TV Commerical.  Ever. 

Subtitle:  And the winner is...ShoeDini!

The article discusses annoying TV commericals in general, then the ShoeDini one.

The now 6 week old Big Audio Dynamite column remains offline.  For unknown reasons, there have been no columns between then and now.

Also in the current issue, 2 SK characters--in their movie versions--are listed among The 100 Greatest Characters of the Last 20 Years:  Red (The Shawshank Redemption) at #48 and Annie Wilkes (Misery) at #52.
  • Page 34 of the latest issue: Pop of King article titled "Get Me Bruce Willis" where suggests that Bruce Willis (of Armageddon fame) should be the one to fix the BP Oil Spill.
  • Apparently great minds do think alike:  Damon Lindelof (Lost) has come up with a Bruce Willis fixes the spill "treatment" at Esquire.com.
  • Yeah, he posted this tweet a day or two ago: "Apparently, I just psychically plagiarized my idol, Stephen King. Yet, I am mortified that we both think Bruce Willis is our only hope. "
  • Saw that - good chuckle.
  • "Get Me Bruce Willis" is now online as How "Armageddon" Anticipated the BP Crisis.  No sign of the two earlier ones.
  • About time.  It's only been 2 months since the earlier one appeared in print.  Apparently the gap was only noticed a few days ago.
  • The new issue's (7/9-16/10) cover says we'll be getting "Stephen King's Summer Reading List".
  • Slideshow presentation of the latest column. I don't think it contains the complete text of the print version, though, which talks also about reading statistics.
  • Yes, it's missing the first and last paragraphs.
  • The complete version of "Stephen King's Must Reads"--without pictures--is now available.
  • The 7/30 issue has a new column, which, according to the cover, is "on fame, rehab & movie snacks".
  • According to Bob Ireland on the Dark Tower message board, this is a "greatest hits" column, with no new material from King:

As part of their 20th Anniversary in publishing, EW appears to be celebrating one of their proudest moments, snagging "Uncle Stevie" for the newly developed Pop of King column. This article partially reproduces highlights from some of their favorite columns. In my view this is technically not a new Stephen King Pop of King Column (nothing new written by Stephen King, but I did include it in the Pop of King count anyways); the column title as stated on page #1 of this thread is The Wit and Wisdom of Stephen King.There's a great illustration (by John Euland) of King reading an Elmore Leonard novel, with a box of Junior Mints hanging out of his coat jacket, King holding a skewer of said Junior Mints, a turntable, stereo stand and pile of albums with an AC/DC album on top, a box of theatre popcorn spilling in his chair, a Harry Potter novel propped against a chair, a Jaws poster on the wall behind him, Hurley and John Lock statuettes (maybe bobbleheads) sitting on the bookshelf and a Metallica Album cover hanging on the wall. Looks like a Terminator 3 framed oil painting on the wall too! On page 1 of the thread I have highlighted titles in blue if they were partially reproduced here in this issue.

At the end of the 6 page article there is a small blurb that says "For a complete guide to every column, best-of list, and pop culture musings from Stephen King visit ew.com/king." Enjoy surfing!!!
  • It must be Reprint Week in SK land.  Not only did we get the "new" EW column, I just saw that The Writer republished an article from SK in their new issue that originally appeared in October 1980--something to do with using imagery in writing.
  • It's called "Imagery and the Third Eye"
  • #1114 8/6/2010 Rush To Judgement
  • The latest column is not yet online, but the new issue (8/13) is here, and SK appears in it on page 14, in a "First Look" picture of his Sons of Anarchy role.

I'd actually typed most of the caption here before I bothered to look for the picture at EW.com  ::), but eventually I got smart and here it is.

The promised picture of the motorcycle does not appear online or in the magazine.

And the episode being on September 21--how's that for coincidence?
  • September 3, 2010 issue: My 2010 Hits and Misses

Also a full-page ad: "Access Stephen King's archives" at ew.com/king
  • That ad, which is on page 47, refers to SK as "world-renowned author"  :) and "EW columninst" [sic].  :-?
  • Stephen King's Hits and Misses--long overdue partially due to this site's issues but mostly because of EW's.  (It's still not visible at ew.com/king.)  Thanks to David Finniss who found it.

Also there's a new column in the 10/1 issue, whose name I forget right now, that's about SK's issues with writing about pop music.
  • It's called "Higher and Higher"
  • "Higher and Higher", under the web name of "Stephen King on pop music" (really, what's with changing perfectly good names to things this boring?), is now available.

It can't (currently) be found at ew.com/king, which makes me wonder why they set up such a page and then don't keep it up.
  • In the 10/22-29 double issue:  "Harry Who?"--not Potter, but Nilsson.  SK looks at the newly released documentary on the '70s musician, called Who is Harry Nilsson?