Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

The Dark Tower Spoiler Avoider Thread

edited June 2004 in Dark Tower
Okay, having been burned by my own curiosity with a couple of "Song of Susannah" spoilers, I'm starting this thread to help those of us who wish to remain pure and virginal in all matters related to the final Dark Tower book. I don't plan to read a single review, a single snippet, a single sentence of any excerpt of DTVII until I have the book in my hands. This may be the last chance to enter a King book with no idea of what's about to happen, and I for one want to preserve that experience.

So, consider this a place where like-minded individuals can come for support. We'll help each other avoid those reviews, turn away from those excerpts, and ignore those speculations. It won't be easy (especially when the ARCs start circulating), but it can be done.

I put this thread in the DTVII discussion folder not as a way to court temptation, but to be one last holdout in the very place all those temptations will sprout up.

It's just three months away, guys and girls! Let's enjoy it the way our favorite author intended!

Blu

Comments

• I am going to try and do the exact same thing.

I am not sure I can pull it off, though.

:-/
  • You should be safe until at least July -- I don't expect the ARCs to be out before then.

Oh, by the way, Roland has a sex change operation and Susannah and Jake elope.

Oops! :o
  • OMG Bev, so the name of The Gunslinger will be Rolanda??? ;D And Eddy will be called "Eddy lonely heart"? ;D

By the way Blu has written a very clever thread and I'll give you my support too.
  • Hey guys ... here's what I've been doing. When you open the topic, it shows the various threads - and "new" is by the ones that have new posts. Up at the top there's a place where you can click to 'mark all posts read'.

That way, when you're on the main page - it's less distracting or tempting when the posts don't show up as unread.

Does that make sense? :)
  • I'm with you Blu! With SoS I had pretty well stumbled across all the big surprises before reading the book.

I don't want this to happen with DT7.

Count me in!
  • I think King is likely to make stronger efforts to protect the ending of the series, especially given the way spoilers for DT6 emerged. He told me that he has kept some of these secrets for nearly 30 years and would like to keep them until the book comes out...or as close to then as possible.
  • Wow - imagine sitting on this stuff for 30 years...I can imagine he is going to be very interested in how his "Constant Readers" react to his most ambitious work...

I'm sure you're right about him amping up the protection, Bev...it's just too easy these days to know going in what's going to happen with a book or a movie...I think we've all, in a lot of ways, traded the thrill of discovery for the thrill of hunting out spoilers ahead of time...I'm going to try and reverse that, not only for DTVII, but for other things as well...

Blu
  • Hi Bev!! I'm SO glad to be here!

I guess living under a rock has it's advantages...I wasn't exposed to any SoS spoilers, so it was all news to me. I'll try to achieve the same thing with VI too. At least it's not long away. *whew*
  • Welcome aboard, ukebec! Take a look around and join in the general pandemonium that is the road to the Dark Tower. :o
  • Good idea here Blu. I tend to ignore most threads that talk about the books, before I've read them I have no clue about SoS...I never caught any of the spoilers, so I guess I'm lucky. I think I musta shared that rock with Ukebec. ;)

btw...Hi ukebec!! and good to see you here!
  • Bev_Vincent wrote: Welcome aboard, ukebec! Take a look around and join in the general pandemonium that is the road to the Dark Tower.  :o

ukebec, welcome aboard and enjoy the ride :)

I always thought this place was quite well ordered actually, lol

And I too am going to avoid any mention of DT7, and I won't even look at the back page either. I want this to be the greatest set of surprises to read in any book written by King. :)

Just hope I have the willpower :-/

• I am definitely on this bandwagon - no spoilers, nope, nada, zilch, the big goose egg!

Who'd a thunk we'd have a support group like this here. A thread to NOT talk about a King book - ina King book thread! Genius Blu, pure genius!

;D
  • I don't know about "genius..."

More like "pure desperation." I figure if I start a thread like this, then I'm OBLIGATED to stay away from spoilers. We'll see if it works...

Blu
  • "Pure Desperation" - sounds like a condensed version of a King novel! ;D
  • Count me in Blu. :) I want to approach DTVII with no preconceived notions (i.e. KEEP ME AWAY FROM THE SPOILERS I BEG). ;)

I'll be in when I need a fix. Thanks.

Lin :)
  • I've been avoiding the spoiler threads - so I forgot this one was here! :P ;D

Ah well - almost done with SoS and then maybe I can read that thread and the ensuing posts. I'm still just a wee bit mystified with the way the book is going, but I don't want to read posts or share my thoughts until I finish it.

:-X
  • Ah, it's good to see such a strong support group moving into place...just don't abandon me once the reviews start coming out!

Blu
  • Blu, am sure everyone will be behind this 100% matey :)

This is probably the greatest work of fiction we may see in our lifetimes, and seeing such an entwined series finish in September, I am sure everyone (or at least a lot of us) have no intention of knowing anything about what happens in the final volume.

And...since we can find any topic relating to DT7 anywhere on the web when the ARCS are released, maybe we could ask Bev that no reviews or anything that contains spoilers for DT7 appear here? (Kinda a no temptation kind of thing)

This might be difficult to do, I can understand, and if it comes to it, we can just not read them ::)
  • Add me to the list. I spoiled myself rotten for SOS. Although it didn't ruin the book for me, I don't want to know anything before that wonderful day in September when all is revealed. So here I sit.
  • just don't abandon me once the reviews start coming out!

We Must Stand Together!
  • It has been my experience that spoilers, at least in connection to DT, have little negative effect. For every question answered (or "Spoiled"), three more seem to pop up! Perhaps 7 will be different, with "answers all around", but I suspect there will be more questions that can never be answered (where IS Gilead? Texas? who invented liquid soap? and why?)

Tom
  • I absolutely agree, Tom (and welcome to the board, by the way). For me, the only entries in the Dark Tower series where I've even been exposed to spoilers have been "Wolves" and "Susannah."  I didn't discover the series until the third book, and by the time "Wizard and Glass" rolled around, I still wasn't hooked into the Internet enough to find a bunch of information.

The spoilers I found for the last two books did not diminish my enjoyment of the series at all.  They did, however, take some of the suprise out. I knew before reading "Wolves" that they would find a copy of a certain book, and I knew before reading "Susannah" that they would meet a certain someone (nope, no spoilers here, not even for a book already out!).  If anything, I anticipated those events more. For book seven, though, I want every word, every meeting, every event to be new to me.

Blu
  • For book seven, though, I want every word, every meeting, every event to be new to me.
    Ditto. ;D
  • Two new paintings from "Dark Tower VII"??

Oh, Bev, you sneaky devil.

Not looking, not looking...

Blu
  • Oh, but they're soooooo coool.

One of them you may have seen a glimpse of before--it forms part of the cover of Robin Furth's concordance, volume 2. The other one is completely new.

Spoilers? Hmmmm...probably so.