Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

Documentaries

Comments

• Grey Gardens is fascinating to me.  Another one of those train wreck documentaries,  with a lot of cats and raccoons.
  • Notaro said:
    Anyone got a good Documentary they've seen or heard about?  I tell you, nothing is jumping out at me.  Something Netflix does that I think is very tactical, those thumbnail photos they put up?  It's like a book.  And I DO sometimes judge a book by its cover. So I judge a show by its thumbnail.  But the tactical part is when they change-up those thumbnails and give me a new picture. 

Something that didn't catch my attention before might with a whole new picture.  I'll take the time to click on it and read the description if that visual stimulates me.  

;) 
    This is pretty good Hedda, I'm on season two now, 

https://g.co/kgs/o3ACn3
    I started watching this.   What the heck is going on?
    NotaroGNTLGNT
  • Notaro said:
    Anyone got a good Documentary they've seen or heard about?  I tell you, nothing is jumping out at me.  Something Netflix does that I think is very tactical, those thumbnail photos they put up?  It's like a book.  And I DO sometimes judge a book by its cover. So I judge a show by its thumbnail.  But the tactical part is when they change-up those thumbnails and give me a new picture. 

Something that didn't catch my attention before might with a whole new picture.  I'll take the time to click on it and read the description if that visual stimulates me.  

;) 

He basically takes cold cases and re-investigates to see if he can find something the police missed which may solve the case or at least provide answers to help the families involved.
    Hedda GablerGNTLGNT
  • Notaro said:
    Notaro said:

;) 

He basically takes cold cases and re-investigates to see if he can find something the police missed which may solve the case or at least provide answers to help the families involved.
    You don't have to tell me specifics, but just tell me, do they find Carole Packman's body?
    NotaroGNTLGNT
  • Notaro said:
    Notaro said:

;) 

You don't have to tell me specifics, but just tell me, do they find Carole Packman's body?
    Sadly no, at one point they thought they had but it was a dead end. 
    GNTLGNTHedda Gabler
  • Notaro said:
    Notaro said:
    Notaro said:

;) 

The whole situation is just boggling.  I'm thinking, what is really going on here?  Did she disappear on her own or was she killed. I think the husband killed her.  I think there are people out there still who know what happened.  I haven't gotten that far along in the show yet to see what information they dig up.  

The not knowing where a loved one is would be so heartbreaking.  The anxiety of never knowing where they were or what was happening to them would drive me mad.
    GNTLGNTNotaro
  • Notaro said:
    Notaro said:
    Notaro said:

;) 

The whole situation is just boggling.  I'm thinking, what is really going on here?  Did she disappear on her own or was she killed. I think the husband killed her.  I think there are people out there still who know what happened.  I haven't gotten that far along in the show yet to see what information they dig up.  

The not knowing where a loved one is would be so heartbreaking.  The anxiety of never knowing where they were or what was happening to them would drive me mad.
    It get more bizarre as it progresses. 
    Hedda GablerGNTLGNT
  • Notaro said:
    Notaro said:
    Notaro said:
    Notaro said:

;) 

That was interesting.  I did some goog-a-loogalin' and this guy is going to get out of prison.  How is this possible?  He admits to killing her (and then he says he didn't) and he has never told them what he did with the body.  He's told so many lies, is the truth in there somewhere?  I can't believe they would let him out until a body is produced or they can reasonably believe what happened.  But at this point, I don't think they can believe anything unless he actually leads them to a body.

I've seen the second season. Not sure why I watched that one and not the first one, but I'm going to rewatch it because my memory is vague on it.
    GNTLGNTNotaro
  • Notaro said:
    Notaro said:
    Notaro said:
    Notaro said:

;) 

That was interesting.  I did some goog-a-loogalin' and this guy is going to get out of prison.  How is this possible?  He admits to killing her (and then he says he didn't) and he has never told them what he did with the body.  He's told so many lies, is the truth in there somewhere?  I can't believe they would let him out until a body is produced or they can reasonably believe what happened.  But at this point, I don't think they can believe anything unless he actually leads them to a body.

I've seen the second season. Not sure why I watched that one and not the first one, but I'm going to rewatch it because my memory is vague on it.
    I didn't get through the second season yet, started watching but with details of murder after murder it gets quite depressing, I will go back to it at some stage but I need some lighthearted nonsense to lift my spirits.
    Hedda GablerGNTLGNT
  • THe Great Buster -- A Celebration

This was a doc about Buster Keaton narrated by Peter Bogdanovich.  Terrific.  I enjoyed this very much. So talented.  Quick, whip smart, athletic -- he had timing and the gags and he knew what to do, how to do it and when.  

Apparently TCM has a podcast called The Plot Thickens that launches tomorrow with topic -- Peter Bogdanovich.  I bet that's interesting.  
    GNTLGNTNotaro
  • FlakeNoir said:
    Oh wait, this is the Documentaries thread....! 
    That would have come across really creepy then. Hahahahahahahahaha..
    (I meant I like British crime in Fiction! :D )
    Flake I was just wondering have you seen this trilogy of documentaries?

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt2973408/?ref_=m_nm_knf_i1

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt6375308/?ref_=m_nm_knf_dr_i4

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt9144476/?ref_=m_nm_knf_dr_i2
    FlakeNoirHedda GablerGNTLGNT
  • Notaro said:
    FlakeNoir said:
    Oh wait, this is the Documentaries thread....! 
    That would have come across really creepy then. Hahahahahahahahaha..
    (I meant I like British crime in Fiction! :D )
    Flake I was just wondering have you seen this trilogy of documentaries?

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt2973408/?ref_=m_nm_knf_i1

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt6375308/?ref_=m_nm_knf_dr_i4

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt9144476/?ref_=m_nm_knf_dr_i2
    Thanks @Notaro I've definitely seen 5 Years and I'm fairly sure I've seen The Last 5 Years, but I'm not certain that I've seen Finding Fame. I'll check it out. :) 
    NotaroHedda GablerGNTLGNT
  • Natalie Wood:  What Remains Behind

I really liked hearing this story.  A fresh 2020 take on her and her life and death.  
  • No Direction Home -- Bob Dylan

I'm not a big Dylan fan during his young folk music days, unless that song became a pop classic for the time.  His well known stuff I love.  The obscure throw-back stuff, not so much. But he is interesting as heck.  A history not only of his career, but of the times, of people around him, attitudes, fashion, technology, business etc...etc....

Combine this 3 hours and 28 minutes with Ken Burns recent 8 episode, 16 hour documentary Country Music, and you really have a fantastic look at the roots of society.
    GNTLGNT
  • No Direction Home -- Bob Dylan

I'm not a big Dylan fan during his young folk music days, unless that song became a pop classic for the time.  His well known stuff I love.  The obscure throw-back stuff, not so much. But he is interesting as heck.  A history not only of his career, but of the times, of people around him, attitudes, fashion, technology, business etc...etc....

Combine this 3 hours and 28 minutes with Ken Burns recent 8 episode, 16 hour documentary Country Music, and you really have a fantastic look at the roots of society.
    ....are there sub-titles so that one may understand the overwhelmingly under-enunciated Mr. Zimmerman?.....
    Notaro
  • edited May 2020
    GNTLGNT said:
    No Direction Home -- Bob Dylan

....are there sub-titles so that one may understand the overwhelmingly under-enunciated Mr. Zimmerman?.....
    Actually, he was quite clear.  I didn't have one issue with hearing or understanding and believe me, I am the queen of subtitles when someone has a speech thing whether that be an accent or a way of speaking that is difficult to understand.

Obviously all the jokes about his speech stem from how he sounds when he sings because he's quite easy to understand while speaking.
    GNTLGNTNotaroFlakeNoir
  • Jeffrey Epstein -- Filthy Rich

This was very interesting.  I do believe he was murdered.  He was messing with too many high powered people.  His homes and private planes were wired for sound and video.  

I do believe that he was gathering blackmail on all these people to continue his business dealings.

And before you start throwing out names, Epstein had very very close relations with powerful people on both sides of that political aisle, so don't throw stones at a very glass house when you want to throw out names.  Epstein had information on them all, and I think the "all" wanted that squashed because going to court, he would've spilled his guts if not protected.

They need to get ahold of this Ghislaine Maxwell, his #1 child procurer and active participant.
    GNTLGNTNotaro
  • Jeffrey Epstein -- Filthy Rich

This was very interesting.  I do believe he was murdered.  He was messing with too many high powered people.  His homes and private planes were wired for sound and video.  

I do believe that he was gathering blackmail on all these people to continue his business dealings.

And before you start throwing out names, Epstein had very very close relations with powerful people on both sides of that political aisle, so don't throw stones at a very glass house when you want to throw out names.  Epstein had information on them all, and I think the "all" wanted that squashed because going to court, he would've spilled his guts if not protected.

They need to get ahold of this Ghislaine Maxwell, his #1 child procurer and active participant.
    I haven't watched it yet but I think you're right, he knew too much about too many high powered high placed people. 
    Hedda GablerGNTLGNT
  • They have a new suspect in the Madeline McCann disappearance.  Some German guy.  I hope for these parents that this man can give them information.  Whether she is alive or dead, I hope these parents can get clues to bring her home one way or the other.
    GNTLGNTFlakeNoirNotaro
  • They have a new suspect in the Madeline McCann disappearance.  Some German guy.  I hope for these parents that this man can give them information.  Whether she is alive or dead, I hope these parents can get clues to bring her home one way or the other.
    ....as do I, and I have seen periodically where some very dedicated detectives and LEO's are still plowing into cold cases-with some success due to new forensic technology....always happy when they can close one out for those left behind.....
    NotaroHedda GablerFlakeNoir
  • edited June 2020
    AMERICAN MASTERS:  Mae West: Dirty Blonde

I would highly recommend this. It was a terrific doc on her.  She really was a broad in the best sense of the word.  (Some people think broad is a derogatory term, I do not.)

She went from jail to the most powerful woman in hollywood at one time.

Definitely a very sexually free woman, smart, funny and she knew how to do business. She learned to read the room to get women involved and embrace her work, not just men. She included blacks, gays, trans -- she was an equal opportunity employer.  And these groups, while they were cast in typical roles of the time, she interacted with them on and off screen as equals.  They were her friends in the script and equals as actors.  Friends behind the scenes.

Studio head Zukor signed her to a contract which allowed her freedom to write her own scripts, have complete control over every aspect:  hair and make up, lighting, clothes and direction.  Many directors didn't want to work with her because she directed the director. BUT, she made everyone money, and money is God.

Zukor asked her how much money she wanted. She asked him, "How much do you make?"  He told her and she said, "I want one dollar more."  And she got it.

Sassy and in control of herself, making her own choices.  Never a victim.  

I love this quote of hers:

“Between two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before.”

GNTLGNTNotaro
  • David Foster:  Off the Record

Well... this guy is an arrogant, narcissistic, pompous, asshole.  And he is well aware.

BUT -- he is a brilliant talent.  He's truly one of those lucky people who had spark, ambition and focus from an early age.  He's given us some beautiful music and elevated the most talented people to a level they didn't even know they could achieve.  

And he was right. I didn't know who he was until he was on The Housewives of Beverly Hills.  

I know you now David.  I knew you all along with all the music and artists you worked on, I just didn't realize it.
    NotaroGNTLGNT
  • We like a lot of the performers he has been associated with over the years but, yes, he is a big personality.
    NotaroGNTLGNT
  • We like a lot of the performers he has been associated with over the years but, yes, he is a big personality.
    And he's worked with many different types of performers in a number of very different genres.

My favorite collaboration might just be Michael Bublé.  :blush:
    GNTLGNT
  • 11 Best David Foster images  The fosters Musician David...."you are all beneath me.....peasants....."
    Notaro