Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

Documentaries

Comments

• That's about his attitude.
    NotaroGNTLGNT
  • Mike Wallace Is Here -- Hulu

This was fascinating stuff.  And it pertains to today more than ever.  

The one thing that was irritating me while watching was they would show one of his interviewees and I knew who it was, but they didn't label them while they were onscreen.

Thank goodness at the very end of the documentary, they showed a photo and the name of these people so that made me happy because I was wracking my brain trying to remember names.  Some I knew, some were familiar but I couldn't remember their damn name to save the whales.

I highly recommend this.
    FlakeNoirNotaroGNTLGNT
  • edited July 2020
    Sound City directed by my beloved Dave Grohl.  Enjoyable!

GNTLGNTNotaroFlakeNoir
  • I'll Be Gone In The Dark --

This is a documentary about the Golden State Killer..  The investigation is done by Michelle McNamara, Patton Oswalt's late wife and is interspersed with her own memories.

It is an interesting look at these years and the crimes.

In last night's episode, they showed a part of Michelle's book case (I'm guessing it was hers and not just some stock video) and there was a Stephen King book on the shelf, but it was a foreign edition.  I forget what the word was -- anyone see the episode and see the book?  What language? What book was it?  And did Michelle speak another language that she would have that book on her shelf?  Maybe just a collector?
    FlakeNoirNotaroGNTLGNT
  • edited July 2020
    I'll Be Gone In The Dark --

This is a documentary about the Golden State Killer..  The investigation is done by Michelle McNamara, Patton Oswalt's late wife and is interspersed with her own memories.

It is an interesting look at these years and the crimes.

In last night's episode, they showed a part of Michelle's book case (I'm guessing it was hers and not just some stock video) and there was a Stephen King book on the shelf, but it was a foreign edition.  I forget what the word was -- anyone see the episode and see the book?  What language? What book was it?  And did Michelle speak another language that she would have that book on her shelf?  Maybe just a collector?
    ULVENE by Stephen King

(Wolves of the Calla -- Danish.)
    FlakeNoirGNTLGNT
  • Showbiz Kids - HBO

Being a child actor is dangerous.  And way back in the day when there were even fewer protections for them, it's sad.
    FlakeNoirGNTLGNT
  • edited July 2020
    Watched The Show Must Go On.  The story of the continuation of Queen after Freddie Mercury's death and their teaming up with Adam Lambert. I enjoyed it, 

FlakeNoirBevVincentGNTLGNTHedda Gabler
  • Notaro said:
    Watched The Show Must Go On.  The story of the continuation of Queen after Freddie Mercury's death and their teaming up with Adam Lambert. I enjoyed it, 

I'm in the middle of this one.  I think they've done a great job with moving on, but being very sensitive to the past.  
    FlakeNoirNotaroGNTLGNT
  • Notaro said:
    Was it a good show Bev? 
    It was great. They were paired with Styx, and Don Felder from The Eagles as the opener. 
    Cool. 😎
    Hedda GablerFlakeNoirGNTLGNT
  • Sadly missed. 😥
    Hedda GablerGNTLGNTFlakeNoir
  • edited August 2020
    If I could get you all to watch one documentary in 2020, it would be:

California Typewriter --  Criterion Channel

I just loved this doc.  And yes.  It's exactly what you think it is about -- Typewriters.
    An hour and forty-four minutes and twenty-one seconds of talking about typewriters.

Sam Shephard, John Mayer, Tom Hanks -- artists, creators, collectors, historians, enthusiasts and wistful rememberers like me, it was worth my time.

I own 2 manual typewriters and one electric.  J.C. Penneys sold it back in the 70s.  I got it for Christmas and thought I had hit the ultimate in cool.

GNTLGNTNotaroFlakeNoir
  • .....I used my Grandpa's old manual from high school through college the first time and it typed in cursive....I was uber cool.....(laughs hysterically)......
    NotaroFlakeNoir
  • edited August 2020
    GNTLGNT said:
    .....I used my Grandpa's old manual from high school through college the first time and it typed in cursive....I was uber cool.....(laughs hysterically)......
    Oh, now that is cool.  Do you still have it?  I mean, just for the history of it from your grandpa would be enough to keep it. But some of these old type writers are worth some righteous coin.
    GNTLGNTNotaroFlakeNoir
  • ....sadly it finally gave up the ghost....keys broke and then the carriage jammed, but Gramp was always at my shoulder when I used it.....his spirit was my guide....
    Hedda GablerNotaroFlakeNoir
  • GNTLGNT said:
    ....sadly it finally gave up the ghost....keys broke and then the carriage jammed, but Gramp was always at my shoulder when I used it.....his spirit was my guide....
    In this documentary, there was a guy who took typewriters that were just totally gone and made sculptures out of them. Beautiful things.  Just gorgeous.  All typewriter parts.

Artist Turns Old Typewriters Into These Amazing Sculptures  TechEBlog

Jeremy Mayer makes new art out of old typewriters - CNET
    GNTLGNTNotaroFlakeNoir
  • .....absolutely stunning!.....
  • edited August 2020
    There are full figures that anatomically are just amazing -- but in keeping this side of the board PG, even with art, I have elected not to show those.

But, please feel free to check them out.  I mean, it is amazing how he could look at a box of springs and cogs and wheels and wires and bolts and fashion them into such gorgeous works of art.
    NotaroFlakeNoirGNTLGNT
  • edited August 2020
    GNTLGNT said:
    ....sadly it finally gave up the ghost....keys broke and then the carriage jammed, but Gramp was always at my shoulder when I used it.....his spirit was my guide....
    In this documentary, there was a guy who took typewriters that were just totally gone and made sculptures out of them. Beautiful things.  Just gorgeous.  All typewriter parts.

And, just to add, a lot of his figures are homages to the silent film, Metropolis.  Which, if you haven't seen this, I recommend it.  It's long. And silent.  But to watch it as an artistic thing is brilliant.  The artists involved in the design of this film, with the limited technology available to them -- the sets were very grand things indeed.
    NotaroFlakeNoirGNTLGNT
  • GNTLGNT said:

And, just to add, a lot of his figures are homages to the silent film, Metropolis.  Which, if you haven't seen this, I recommend it.  It's long. And silent.  But to watch it as an artistic thing is brilliant.  The artists involved in the design of this film, with the limited technology available to them -- the sets were very grand things indeed.
    That is amazing. 😳
    FlakeNoirGNTLGNT
  • Right?  So detailed.  Apparently he has gotten hate mail for using typewriters because new ones aren't being made and people are pissed he would use them for sculptures.

He let's them know that he only uses typewriters that cannot be fixed, that are beyond repair.  And, it's still giving life to the typewriter instead of being thrown into the garbage pile.  
    NotaroFlakeNoirGNTLGNT
  • ....what a gifted arteest!......
    Hedda GablerNotaroFlakeNoir
  • GNTLGNT said:
    What if the Matrix is actually a documentary - conspiracy keanu - quickmeme
    What do you mean what if? 🤔 You mean it's not 😧
    Hedda GablerGNTLGNTFlakeNoir
  • edited August 2020
    Comic Book Confidential -- Criterion Channel.

The history of comic books, very entertaining.
    NotaroGNTLGNTFlakeNoir