Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

Documentaries

Comments

• edited August 2020
    Comic Book Confidential -- Criterion Channel.

The history of comic books, very entertaining.
    This documentary has a great soundtrack with it.

Notably underrepresented is women.  There were a couple in the doc, but this is really a male dominated field.  And, these guys are smart as hell, but geeky as hell.  I seriously believe if they had not gone into the comic profession, they would have been awkward serial killers.  Their moms driving them to their victims.

just sayin'.
    FlakeNoirNotaroGNTLGNTKurben
  • Finished up I'll Be Gone In The Dark about the Golden State Killer.  

I am so sorry that Michelle McNamara didn't live long enough to see all her hard work rewarded with his capture. 

The people also involved in the case and their investigation worked so hard to continue Michelle's work.  They were tenacious.  Her family, friends, victims and husband Patton Oswalt honored her with their continued focus.  

NotaroFlakeNoirGNTLGNTNeesy
  • I was a little skeptical of the nephew's story about what the killer experienced in Germany. I had a hard time imagining the nephew's mother telling him that story.
    NotaroHedda GablerGNTLGNTFlakeNoir
  • And another thing that was interesting to me, GSK looked exactly like that one artist rendering. Exactly.   I am so surprised that didn't generate leads to him back then.  Or, was that not released to the public and only given to law enforcement?  

If I knew this guy, I would have looked at that sketch and immediately saw him.  Plus,  he was a cop at one time. I would have thought other cops who worked with him and saw the sketch would have immediately seen him.
    NotaroGNTLGNTFlakeNoir
  • Comic Book Confidential -- Criterion Channel.

The history of comic books, very entertaining.
    This documentary has a great soundtrack with it.

Notably underrepresented is women.  There were a couple in the doc, but this is really a male dominated field.  And, these guys are smart as hell, but geeky as hell.  I seriously believe if they had not gone into the comic profession, they would have been awkward serial killers.  Their moms driving them to their victims.

just sayin'.
    NORMAN AND HIS MOTHER NORMA BATES FROM PSYCHO  Classic horror movies  Horror movie art Alfred hitchcock movies
    FlakeNoirHedda GablerNotaro
  • HITSVILLE:  The Making of Motown.

This was very good.  All of this talent really shaped the music industry and our world. 

So many fantastic songs and personalities.
    NotaroGNTLGNTNeesyFlakeNoir
  • FEAR CITY:  New York vs. The Mafia (Netflix)
    FlakeNoirGNTLGNT
  • FEAR CITY:  New York vs. The Mafia (Netflix)
    ....I don't get to watch much TV because of my work schedule-but I saw this promoted and I'm a big fan of their work.....gonna have to chase it down....

https://www.travelchannel.com/shows/devils-road-the-true-story-of-ed-and-lorraine-warren
    NeesyFlakeNoirHedda Gabler
  • I AM A KILLER:  RELEASED

GNTLGNTFlakeNoir
  • I AM A KILLER:  RELEASED

Should I call security? 
    Hedda GablerGNTLGNTnot_nadineNeesy
  • FlakeNoir said:
    I AM A KILLER:  RELEASED

Should I call security? 
    Paul Blart Mall Cop  Mall cop Paul blart mall cop One direction humor
    FlakeNoirHedda GablerNeesy
  • edited September 2020
    Go Go Mania

Not exactly a documentary but not a movie.  More like an anthropological film wrestled from the hands of pygmies in Borneo, or Dick Clark.

This thing was horrible.  It was showcasing some of the talented bands from the 60s.  The bookends of the "movie" were the Beatles in their natural habitat, surrounded by screaming girls at actual concerts. 

Every band in between was shown on some really bleak sounstage with random pop art pieces placed throughout that the band had to fake sing and play their instruments and weave through as the camera tracked them. Horrible! 

Our host was this weird little man who obviously was 75 trying to be hip with this far-out hair do.  This guy:

BBC will finally launch inquiry into Jimmy Savile child abuse allegations   London Evening Standard

The only saving grace was we would occasionally get a good song -- The House of the Rising Sun. (this is from the actual show)

But most of it was crap.  There was a song about Humpty Dumpty and a Spider that sat down beside her.... ugh!  I don't know the name of this group but these are the numbnutz who sang it.  And were probably getting laid right and left by stupid girls.  

GO GO MANIA aka POP GEAR 1965  Blu-ray Review  ZekeFilm

This thing was embarrassing.
    GNTLGNTFlakeNoir
  • Hedda the weird little host is Jimmy Savile, he has been accused of being one of the most prolific sexual abusers in England.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmy_Savile_sexual_abuse_scandal
    GNTLGNTFlakeNoirNeesyKurben
  • edited September 2020
    Notaro said:
    Hedda the weird little host is Jimmy Savile, he has been accused of being one of the most prolific sexual abusers in England.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmy_Savile_sexual_abuse_scandal
    Oh my lord, this was horrifying.    These poor people.  And I have no respect for the people who saw it and didn't report it.  I know they were scared, starstruck,not wanting to believe their eyes -- but you err on the side of doing the right thing. I'm boggled that someone, especially an adult that cared for children, would not report what they saw -- or thought they saw.  Let the authorities figure it out.

It appears many honors and things were demolished or taken from him, but it doesn't appear that his knighthood was stripped from him.  I found this on that subject:

"Jimmy Savile cannot be posthumously stripped of his knighthood, despite David Cameron suggesting he might be. ... However, the Cabinet Office said Savile no longer had a knighthood to revoke, as individuals cease to be a member of the order when they die."

THat's just sad all the way around.
    GNTLGNTFlakeNoir
  • That's sad and horrifying.  The scariest thing to me are people who manage to pass as normal and walk among us like nothing's wrong and then you find out they're that kind of monster. 

Documentaries I've been falling asleep to:  the Jupiter Enigma and Quakers: That of God in Everyone. I'm genuinely interested in both. Jupiter is fascinating to me - and so gorgeous. And I've always thought I'm a secret Quaker.  I've been hoping to watch something good about octopuses soon (not octopi, as I just learned from Professor  Google).
    GNTLGNTFlakeNoirNeesy
  • That's sad and horrifying.  The scariest thing to me are people who manage to pass as normal and walk among us like nothing's wrong and then you find out they're that kind of monster. 

Documentaries I've been falling asleep to:  the Jupiter Enigma and Quakers: That of God in Everyone. I'm genuinely interested in both. Jupiter is fascinating to me - and so gorgeous. And I've always thought I'm a secret Quaker.  I've been hoping to watch something good about octopuses soon (not octopi, as I just learned from Professor  Google).
    Secret Quaker had me laughing!
    GNTLGNTFlakeNoir
  • .....watched an hour of the Ed and Lorraine Warren docu Monday night before my eyeballs wouldn't stay focused....wasn't the subject matter, just 3 long shifts back to back to back...I hope they re-run it, because I found it-if not riveting, at least highly interesting....
    Hedda GablerFlakeNoirNeesyHollyGolightly
  • edited September 2020
    Saw a documentary about the Go-Gos - the only all female band to write their own songs and play their own instruments.

I really enjoyed it - good to see what they look like 40 years from first starting.

Thought the drummer was fun - she had a great personality

(Ooops - needed to edit this - they were the FIRST all female band to do this) :)
    GNTLGNTHedda GablerFlakeNoirHollyGolightlyKurben
  • Neesy said:
    Saw a documentary about the Go-Gos - the only all female band to write their own songs and play their own instruments.

I really enjoyed it - good to see what they look like 40 years from first starting.

(Ooops - needed to edit this - they were the FIRST all female band to do this) :)
    ....I'm pretty sure Joan Jett and the Runaways would argue that point.....
    Hedda GablerNotaroFlakeNoirNeesyHollyGolightlyKurben
  • We started one last night on Netflix called High Score, about the beginnings of the video game industry. Pretty interesting and fun. We will probably continue watching. @Hedda Gabler I think you would enjoy it. 

Fun side note, they talk about the old ET Atari game a little. It was a stinker of a game but now it is worth sooooo much money because it is very rare. I had that game when I was 10 or so!! We got an Atari for Christmas and a game each and that one was my game. You could not do a darn thing but walk around and fall into a pit....but I REALLY wish I had that game still. 😄

Hedda GablerGNTLGNTNotaroFlakeNoirHollyGolightly
  • Neesy said:

I also watched this and thought it was fun.  Bad ass girls are fascinating.
    GNTLGNTNotaroFlakeNoirHollyGolightly
  • cat said:
    We started one last night on Netflix called High Score, about the beginnings of the video game industry. Pretty interesting and fun. We will probably continue watching. @Hedda Gabler I think you would enjoy it. 

Fun side note, they talk about the old ET Atari game a little. It was a stinker of a game but now it is worth sooooo much money because it is very rare. I had that game when I was 10 or so!! We got an Atari for Christmas and a game each and that one was my game. You could not do a darn thing but walk around and fall into a pit....but I REALLY wish I had that game still. 😄

I'll check it out.  I may have watched it as it sounds kind of familiar.  But hell, everything sounds familiar to me now.  
    GNTLGNTNotaroFlakeNoirHollyGolightlycat
  • Yep. It's all getting a bit timey-wimey.
    NotaroGNTLGNTFlakeNoirHollyGolightly