Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

September '04 -- the final countdown

Comments

• Bev_Vincent wrote: If there's a bookstore at the Copenhagen airport, that might be a place to call. I remember how impressed I was by the beautiful airport you have when I was last there, but that was about sixteen years ago.

I'm pretty sure it's been redesigned since then, my favourite new feature is that the train runs all the way to the airport now :) makes getting there so simple and fast.

If there is a bookstore it's behind that line where you can only go with a ticket to an international flight... I'll give it a little more time to get it to the city - I found a From the Borderlands in my hunts, so I'm pretty sure I'll find TRttDT soon enough

Congrats on your high (low?) listing
  • I bet it reaches one :)
  • Its at 474 right now! :)

The Dark Tower 7 is ranked 4th!
  • Hmmm asked about it in one of my localbookstores today - according to their system it's now listed as sold out from the publisher - and since they hadnt already ordered it they were not likely to get it anytime soon :(
  • Very strange. You could still order it from any of the European Amazon branches. Amazon.de, for example, or Amazon.fr.
  • Hints of what might be my first review. Locus magazine has this on their Notable new books page:

Vincent, Bev : The Road to the Dark Tower: Exploring Stephen King's Magnum Opus

(New American Library 0451213041, $14.95, 351pp, trade paperback, October 2004)

Nonfiction guide to Stephen King's "Dark Tower" series, just concluded with the publication of the seventh volume (see above), written with the cooperation of King. Includes synopses of each book in the series, traces to connections to the series in other works by King, etc.

• The author's website has this description with links to interviews and a signed, limited edition of the book from Cemetery Dance Press.

• The author writes a column about King in Cemetery Dance magazine.

• Faren Miller reviews the book in the October issue of Locus Magazine, calling it "neither an abstruse scholarly thesis nor a fannish rave" and "a wonderfully useful guide for further exploration."

• Its good to know - you are not abstruse nor a raving lunatic! I look forward to reading tRttDT once I finish DT VII.
  • Nice Bev... unfortunately I don't think I've ever heard the word abstruse, so I must look it up. :)

Lin
  • Abstruse: Difficult to understand

A good thing to not be!
  • Not bad, 6 minutes from questioned to answered. Thankee Bev.

You are definitely one of the least abstruse people I know. :)

I shall reserve judgement on raving lunatic until we see what fame does to you. ;)

Lin
  • Bev_Vincent wrote: Abstruse: Difficult to understand

A good thing to not be!

The thesaurus in MS Word says abstruse means obscure and obscure means:

perplexing, puzzling, complex, profound, mysterious, rarefied, technical, or highbrow.

Profound might be OK, mysterious too, maybe - but the rest I am glad you're not Bev! At least in teh presentation of tDttDT and your analysis of Sai King's Magnum Opus!

• Lin242 wrote:

I shall reserve judgement on raving lunatic until we see what fame does to you. ;)

• CRinVA wrote:

The thesaurus in MS Word says abstruse means obscure and obscure means:

perplexing, puzzling, complex, profound, mysterious, rarefied, technical, or highbrow.

Profound might be OK, mysterious too, maybe - but the rest I am glad you're not Bev! At least in teh presentation of tDttDT and your analysis of Sai King's Magnum Opus!

Profound & Mysterious = ME ;D
  • I'm sure this has probably been answered somewhere, but I didn't see it.

Any idea when CD will be shipping the Limited & Lettered editions?

Thanks!

pdj
  • I don't have any idea. Only the good folks at Cemetery Dance can answer that question. Give 'em a shout!
  • Bev_Vincent wrote:

on Today at 1:59pm, Lin242 wrote:

I shall reserve judgement on raving lunatic until we see what fame does to you.

So I can't imagine why you would put a lunatic in a straight jacket and place them in a cement block cell - I thought it was supposed to be a padded cell!  :o

I removed the image from the quote - no need to see it twice and clog up the bandwidth.  ;D
  • Bev_Vincent wrote: I don't have any idea. Only the good folks at Cemetery Dance can answer that question. Give 'em a shout!

I emailed Mindy at CD about this very thing, last week, and have yet to recieve a reply - I expect they are very busy getting orders ready. :)

I check the Breaking News page each day and check my email account each day to see if any word arrives.
  • CRinVA wrote:

So I can't imagine why you would put a lunatic in a straight jacket and place them in a cement block cell - I thought it was supposed to be a padded cell!  :o

I did a google image search on "raving maniac" and it was the first thing that came up that truly looked like a raving maniac.
  • Bev_Vincent wrote: Very strange. You could still order it from any of the European Amazon branches. Amazon.de, for example, or Amazon.fr.

Yeah I know - but that rather defeats the goal which is to get you on the shelves here, for others to find too
  • Is in awe of Andy's magical abilities when using a PC :D
  • Bev_Vincent wrote:

I did a google image search on "raving maniac" and it was the first thing that came up that truly looked like a raving maniac.

Bev, :), if I see anyone like that when I come to meet you, I'll be running in the other direction. ;)

Andy - very well done on the picture-it speaks! ;D

Lin
  • I had an e-mail from the features writer at The Tribune in San Luis Obispo, CA, who is doing a story on companion books. He wants to talk with me about ROAD as part of his feature, which also covers books about Sue Grafton and Harry Potter. Neato.
  • Am not keen on Sue Grafton, but being in the same league as Harry Potter, Bev - WOW, you are a rising star within the literary world :)

• Congrats Bev! 7 more hours as of this post until the official release of ROAD.