Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

What's Cooking?

Comments

• Neesy said:
    Today I made a Chicken Meatball soup - even though it's not cold out yet I just felt like some homemade soup.

Chicken Meatball Noodle Soup Recipe - Damn Delicious

My meatballs are a bit bigger than this pic but still looks like mine - what looks like rice is actually orzo.

As Julia would say "Bon Appetit!"

Are those butterballs?? I need to make some. Yum. 

spideymanHedda GablerGNTLGNTNeesyFlakeNoir
  • cat said:
    Neesy said:
    Today I made a Chicken Meatball soup - even though it's not cold out yet I just felt like some homemade soup.

My meatballs are a bit bigger than this pic but still looks like mine - what looks like rice is actually orzo.

https://www.bigoven.com/recipe/butterballs/662392

.....oh Cat, Cat, Cat.....why do you tempt me so???.........

NeesyHedda GablercatFlakeNoir
  • edited October 2020
    cat said:

No - mine were made with ground chicken but after checking out your link that recipe looks really good!

Mmmmm - butterballs - We have the Maple Leaf Butterball Turkey (you probably have it in the US too - don't think I will be buying one for Thanksgiving this year though

GNTLGNT said:
    cat said:

Oh my - I just ran across some Boobs Boobie Stress Reliever Balls online - I won't post any pics though - you'll have to Google yourself
    Here is the description:

Boobs Boobie Squeezable Stress Reliever Ball Breast Toy (Limited Edition SET)

Hedda GablercatFlakeNoirGNTLGNT
  • GNTLGNT said:
    cat said:
    Neesy said:

https://www.bigoven.com/recipe/butterballs/662392

🤣🤣
    Hedda GablerFlakeNoirGNTLGNT
  • Neesy said:
    cat said:

No - mine were made with ground chicken but after checking out your link that recipe looks really good!

Mmmmm - butterballs - We have the Maple Leaf Butterball Turkey (you probably have it in the US too - don't think I will be buying one for Thanksgiving this year though

GNTLGNT said:
    cat said:

Oh my - I just ran across some Boobs Boobie Stress Reliever Balls online - I won't post any pics though - you'll have to Google yourself
    Here is the description:

Boobs Boobie Squeezable Stress Reliever Ball Breast Toy (Limited Edition SET)

They are delicious in chicken noodles soup. It is a German dish, my grandma used to make it. I've only made it once, it turned out great but it is a lot of work, making the butterballs. (Shhh Scott! 😀) But if you make a bunch, they freeze great, then you just have to make the chicken soup and add your noodles and butterballs. So so good. 
    Hedda GablerFlakeNoirGNTLGNT
  • Bought some meat to make tourtiere which is a French Canadian spicy meatpie. I also bought lean ground beef for chili so we can have chili fries and finally got some chicken breasts which I will probably use to make butter chicken. In the tourtiere you use ground pork with lots of spices.

Canadian Meat Pie - French Canadian Tourtiere Recipe - Kate  Company

My Dad was French Canadian from Quebec

NotaroHedda GablerGNTLGNTcatFlakeNoirSundrop
  • I enjoy making these -- I grew up in eastern Canada, where we always had meat pies in the winter time. Love the savory spiciness of them.
    NeesyNotaroHedda GablerGNTLGNTcatFlakeNoirSundrop
  • I enjoy making these -- I grew up in eastern Canada, where we always had meat pies in the winter time. Love the savory spiciness of them.

Plus you had relatives from the Isle of Arran! That's pretty cool - you should try to go visit some day - it's lovely in the summer

NotaroHedda GablerGNTLGNTBevVincentcatFlakeNoirSundrop
  • .....meat + pie = Brilliant!!......
    catFlakeNoirSundropNeesy
  • Neesy said:
    I enjoy making these -- I grew up in eastern Canada, where we always had meat pies in the winter time. Love the savory spiciness of them.

Plus you had relatives from the Isle of Arran! That's pretty cool - you should try to go visit some day - it's lovely in the summer

I've been to Scotland a couple of times, but never to the islands. When I was working on our family tree several years ago, I hit a roadblock because most of those records have never been digitized. You have to visit the old churches in person to access their logs, or hire someone local to do it for you.
    GNTLGNTHedda GablercatFlakeNoirNeesy
  • edited October 2020
    Neesy said:
    I enjoy making these -- I grew up in eastern Canada, where we always had meat pies in the winter time. Love the savory spiciness of them.

I've been to Scotland a couple of times, but never to the islands. When I was working on our family tree several years ago, I hit a roadblock because most of those records have never been digitized. You have to visit the old churches in person to access their logs, or hire someone local to do it for you.
    I dabble in ancestry after taking the DNA test.  As a scientist Bev, maybe you can explain it to me in very very simple terms -- When I first took that test, I was a Heinz 57 mutt. I had so many interesting things in me.  As time has gone on, the science is getting better and more people are taking the test.  They are able to really hone in on the ancestry .

My first results threw out a big net, but it is getting more refined as time goes on.  They say your DNA never changes, but the science does.  But, I lost a whole continent.  A WHOLE CONTINENT.  That IS changing my DNA, isn't it?  

The DNA has gone through 4 updates since I did the test.  I had about 10 geographical areas in me to start, now I'm down to 4ish.  I lost the most interesting stuff about me.  Can't tell you how bummed I was about that.
    GNTLGNTcatFlakeNoirSundropNeesy
  • Neesy said:

I dabble in ancestry after taking the DNA test.  As a scientist Bev, maybe you can explain it to me in very very simple terms -- When I first took that test, I was a Heinz 57 mutt. I had so many interesting things in me.  As time has gone on, the science is getting better and more people are taking the test.  They are able to really hone in on the ancestry .

My first results threw out a big net, but it is getting more refined as time goes on.  They say your DNA never changes, but the science does.  But, I lost a whole continent.  A WHOLE CONTINENT.  That IS changing my DNA, isn't it?  

The DNA has gone through 4 updates since I did the test.  I had about 10 geographical areas in me to start, now I'm down to 4ish.  I lost the most interesting stuff about me.  Can't tell you how bummed I was about that.
    Amazoncom 3dRose ht_102585_1 Funny DNA Strip Character Nice Genes  Geneology Humor-Iron on Heat Transfer for White Material 8 by 8-Inch
    Hedda GablerFlakeNoircatNeesy
  • I don't have a great deal of faith in those ancestry tests. There was a story a while back about identical triplets who submitted their DNA to three different testing services and there was quite a lot of variation in their results.
    FlakeNoirGNTLGNTHedda GablerSundropNeesy
  • GNTLGNT said:
    ...my meatballs are..........oh stop it Scott!!!
    Sometimes, I need a LMAO button....... 
    FlakeNoirGNTLGNTHedda GablerNeesy
  • edited October 2020
    Neesy said:
    Bought some meat to make tourtiere which is a French Canadian spicy meatpie. I also bought lean ground beef for chili so we can have chili fries and finally got some chicken breasts which I will probably use to make butter chicken. In the tourtiere you use ground pork with lots of spices.

I'd love to have the recipe @Neesy or @BevVincent
    FlakeNoirGNTLGNTHedda GablerNeesy
  • I don't have a great deal of faith in those ancestry tests. There was a story a while back about identical triplets who submitted their DNA to three different testing services and there was quite a lot of variation in their results.
    I think most of them have added a "for entertainment purposes only" or similar disclaimer in recent years.
    BevVincentFlakeNoirGNTLGNTHedda GablerNeesy
  • Sundrop said:
    GNTLGNT said:
    ...my meatballs are..........oh stop it Scott!!!
    Sometimes, I need a LMAO button....... 
    Pin on LMAO -
    FlakeNoirSundropHedda GablerNeesy
  • edited October 2020
    Sundrop said:
    Neesy said:
    Bought some meat to make tourtiere which is a French Canadian spicy meatpie. I also bought lean ground beef for chili so we can have chili fries and finally got some chicken breasts which I will probably use to make butter chicken. In the tourtiere you use ground pork with lots of spices.

Okie Dokie (I haven't been on much in the last few days - sorry!) - Wow - just realized I posted the pic on October 2nd - I haven't felt well in quite a while and no it wasn't the tourtiere that made me sick lol

There's a recipe in my old Canadian cook book but it says to use 2 pounds of lean shoulder pork and veal and to chop it up finely but do not grind it. Plus they said put in a saucepan with water and any bone that was left in the meat.

I didn't actually do it that way - I just bought a value pack of ground pork and cooked that until all the pink was gone, then added some water and spices. (Continue cooking until it thickens and most of the water has evaporated) I cooked it in a large skillet on top of the stove.

Spices they recommend are pepper, 1/2 tsp nutmeg, dash of mace and cayenne and 1/4 tsp celery salt (I used celery seed). I also used half an onion chopped fine and cooked that with the meat. You can add one clove of garlic or just use either garlic salt or garlic powder. You just experiment with the spices until you've got it how you like it.

Put the meat in a pastry shell. I did not make my own - just bought a deep dish double crust frozen pastry (I used the Great Value brand from WallyMart)

Use the second pie crust as your top crust. Cut slashes in the top crust to let the steam escape. You partially thaw the crust first and when you're done filling it, crimp the edges with your fingers or use a fork to seal the two crusts together.

I put the pie on top of a rimmed cookie sheet in case of any spill over.

Bake at 425 F for around 40 minutes

Andy loved it!

Hedda GablerGNTLGNTcatFlakeNoirSundrop
  • Hope you're feeling better now Neesy... 😊
    catNeesy
  • Neesy said:
    Sundrop said:
    Neesy said:

Okie Dokie (I haven't been on much in the last few days - sorry!) - Wow - just realized I posted the pic on October 2nd - I haven't felt well in quite a while and no it wasn't the tourtiere that made me sick lol

There's a recipe in my old Canadian cook book but it says to use 2 pounds of lean shoulder pork and veal and to chop it up finely but do not grind it. Plus they said put in a saucepan with water and any bone that was left in the meat.

I didn't actually do it that way - I just bought a value pack of ground pork and cooked that until all the pink was gone, then added some water and spices. (Continue cooking until it thickens and most of the water has evaporated) I cooked it in a large skillet on top of the stove.

Spices they recommend are pepper, 1/2 tsp nutmeg, dash of mace and cayenne and 1/4 tsp celery salt (I used celery seed). I also used half an onion chopped fine and cooked that with the meat. You can add one clove of garlic or just use either garlic salt or garlic powder. You just experiment with the spices until you've got it how you like it.

Put the meat in a pastry shell. I did not make my own - just bought a deep dish double crust frozen pastry (I used the Great Value brand from WallyMart)

Use the second pie crust as your top crust. Cut slashes in the top crust to let the steam escape. You partially thaw the crust first and when you're done filling it, crimp the edges with your fingers or use a fork to seal the two crusts together.

I put the pie on top of a rimmed cookie sheet in case of any spill over.

Bake at 425 F for around 40 minutes

Andy loved it!

Thank you, Neesy!  I hope you're feeling better ♥
    catHedda GablerFlakeNoirGNTLGNTNeesy
  • ....if you eat one of those pies and DON'T feel better, then it's time to call in Fadda O'Reily for a blessin'.......
    catHedda GablerNeesyFlakeNoir