Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

2021 October Horror Movie Marathon!

edited September 2021 in Free for all
Calling all "number one fans"!  It's that time of year again! Welcome back to the 2021 SKMB October Horror Movie Marathon!

Here's how it works:
Watch scary/horror movies in October...whatever YOU think is horror (or scary) is fine!
Talk about them here, or at least list the title
At the end of the month, we tally up how many horror movies you watched
1-12 movies: Bangor Buddies
13-18 movies: Tet-Mates
19-30 movies: Horrorslingers
31 movies or more: Ultimate Kings of Horror!

Even if you only watch one or two scary movies, this is a great thread for horror movie enthusiasts to share their finds and talk some horror!   

not_nadineNotarodoyoulove19FlakeNoirGNTLGNTcat

Comments

• I'm in!! Great that the tradition is kept alive...
    fushingfeefNotarodoyoulove19FlakeNoirGNTLGNTcat
  • Kurben said:
    I'm in!! Great that the tradition is kept alive...
    If there be just one constant in life, let it be the horror movie marathon, I say!
    NotaroKurbendoyoulove19GNTLGNTcat
  • Yes I'll definitely watch a few movies in October.... 🔪👻 🪓
    Kurbendoyoulove19FlakeNoirfushingfeefGNTLGNTcat
  • We might need to alter its name a little? Maybe call it the "2021 Bev Vincent MB October Horror Movie Marathon!"
    It's a mouthful, but then so is Halloween. 💀👽👻👺🤡👹☠
    (I'm on my first coffee, don't expect intelligence. )

I'm in! To toe depth, at least. Probably most.
    NotaroKurbenfushingfeefGNTLGNTcat
  • Notaro said:
    Yes I'll definitely watch a few movies in October.... 🔪👻 🪓
    Understatement of the year. 😁
    (that and "..yes I think we have enough toilet paper now")
    NotaroKurbenfushingfeefGNTLGNTcat
  • FlakeNoir said:
    We might need to alter its name a little? Maybe call it the "2021 Bev Vincent MB October Horror Movie Marathon!"

Ah, you're right!  That's what I get for copy and pasting the previous year's template! At this point it's too late to edit my post title but I'll try to remember that for next year!
    FlakeNoirNotaroGNTLGNTcat
  • ....working second shift kinda guts my viewing time, but I'll see if I can't at least post my annual something dumb.....or dumber....dumbest?.....
    NotarofushingfeefcatFlakeNoir
  • ....BTW.....

Oh Boy Hi Bob - mickey mouse  Meme Generator
    NotaroKurbenfushingfeefcatFlakeNoir
  • There’s our go-to guy!
    KurbenNotarofushingfeefcatFlakeNoirGNTLGNT
  • Ah, thanks for fixing it!FlakeNoir said:
    We might need to alter its name a little? Maybe call it the "2021 Bev Vincent MB October Horror Movie Marathon!"

catKurbenFlakeNoirBevVincentHedda GablerGNTLGNT
  • Thanks Bev. 🙂
    KurbencatBevVincentHedda GablerGNTLGNTfushingfeefNotaro
  • Dana's Halloween List 2021

1.  Malignant* -- 2021

"Paralyzed by fear from shocking visions, a woman's torment worsens as she discovers her waking dreams are terrifying realities."

This is a James Wan film that people are either liking or not.  By what I'm seeing anyway.  I thought it was pretty good.  I wasn't ever scared or anything, but I was entertained.

Malignant

Dana's 2021 Movie Marathon list
    * indicates first time viewing

1. Malignant*

FlakeNoirGNTLGNTcatKurbenfushingfeefNotarodoyoulove19
  • Kurbens Horror Movie List 2021

1. Fear Streat part 1 1994
    Fear Street Part One - 1994 2021 - IMDb
    A slasher movie mixed with a little possession to spice it up. It was OK, not embarrassing as such movies sometimes can be. Not exactly any new ideas but a decent use of old ones.
    FlakeNoirfushingfeefHedda GablerNotaroGNTLGNTcatdoyoulove19
  • 1. The Conjuring 3: The Devil Made Me Do It (FTV)

In this third installment of The Conjuring franchise, the Warrens assist in the investigation and legal defense of an apparently possessed man who committed a murder.

I've been a fan of The Conjuring series since the first movie provided effective scares and genuinely chilling moments, along with consistently good acting performances. This third movie does not lack for entertainment value or energy, and the acting is still top-notch, but the story here overall is weaker and the scares are pretty much nonexistent, despite a lack of trying really hard--perhaps too hard in some cases. There are no character arcs whatsoever, this is pretty much straightforward reporting style, although we do get to see a little of the origins of the Warrens' relationship.

Some of the reveals that are supposed to be scary were actually unintentionally funny to me, but perhaps I'm getting jaded by this series. We watch set piece after set piece play out in the familiar "quiet LOUD quiet LOUD" formula, yet an effective creepy atmosphere is never really achieved. Oh, and can Hollywood horror movies please stop with their addiction to contortionism? Hard to get scared by these crackling Gumby-like bending motions that we've been seeing for the past 20 years.

This one feels like a well-intentioned misfire, a B-movie version of the real thing, but I can't say I was ever bored, so it's worth a watch. But if I'm ever in the mood for some Conjuring, I'll reach for the other 2 movies first.

3 out of 5 stars.

Bob's October 2020 Horror Movie List
    *FTV denotes first-time viewings
    1. The Conjuring 3: The Devil Made Me Do It 3/5 (FTV)

FlakeNoirHedda GablerNotaroGNTLGNTcatdoyoulove19
  • 1. The Conjuring 3: The Devil Made Me Do It (FTV)

In this third installment of The Conjuring franchise, the Warrens assist in the investigation and legal defense of an apparently possessed man who committed a murder.

I've been a fan of The Conjuring series since the first movie provided effective scares and genuinely chilling moments, along with consistently good acting performances. This third movie does not lack for entertainment value or energy, and the acting is still top-notch, but the story here overall is weaker and the scares are pretty much nonexistent, despite a lack of trying really hard--perhaps too hard in some cases. There are no character arcs whatsoever, this is pretty much straightforward reporting style, although we do get to see a little of the origins of the Warrens' relationship.

Some of the reveals that are supposed to be scary were actually unintentionally funny to me, but perhaps I'm getting jaded by this series. We watch set piece after set piece play out in the familiar "quiet LOUD quiet LOUD" formula, yet an effective creepy atmosphere is never really achieved. Oh, and can Hollywood horror movies please stop with their addiction to contortionism? Hard to get scared by these crackling Gumby-like bending motions that we've been seeing for the past 20 years.

This one feels like a well-intentioned misfire, a B-movie version of the real thing, but I can't say I was ever bored, so it's worth a watch. But if I'm ever in the mood for some Conjuring, I'll reach for the other 2 movies first.

3 out of 5 stars.

Not to spoil for you, but if you watch The Malignant, be prepared for contortion.
    fushingfeefNotaroFlakeNoirGNTLGNTcatdoyoulove19
  • 2.  Two Evil Eyes*--  1990

"Two horror tales based on short stories by Edgar Allan Poe, directed by famed horror directors George A. Romero and Dario Argento. A greedy wife kills her husband, but not completely; a sleazy reporter adopts a strange black cat."

Well, this was okay.  Mostly for the actors in it.  Adrienne Barbarella and Harvy Keitel are just to name two of a handful of familiar faces.

Sort of ho hum.

1. Malignant*
    2. Two Evil Eyes*
    fushingfeefNotaroFlakeNoirKurbenGNTLGNTcatdoyoulove19

• Not to spoil for you, but if you watch The Malignant, be prepared for contortion.
    It's just such a horror movie cliche anymore...it's lazy.
    FlakeNoirKurbenGNTLGNTHedda GablerNotarocatdoyoulove19

1. Fear Streat part 1 1994 (2021)
    2. Fear Street part 2 1978  (2021)
    The survivors of the first movie try to understand what hit them and seek op a survivor of an earlier episode in search of clues. This a horrormovie trilogy where they are not strictly sequels but more of a continuation of a story that has a beginning, middle and hopefully end. This is wellused horror tropes but if you're looking for reimagination of the horror genre dont look here. But still well done. I will see the last part of the trilogy to see if they manage to end it in a good way. Endings are hard..... I will not grade it until i have seen all three since they are basically one story.
    Hedda GablerFlakeNoirNotaroGNTLGNTcat
  • 3.  Midnight Mass* -- 2021 Netflix series

"The plot centers on an isolated island community that experiences supernatural events after the arrival of a mysterious priest"

Midnight Mass horror van de maker van The Haunting  de Lagarde

This was good.  It needed to tighten up for length, it dragged out a bit too long, but I did like the characters and the storyline.  Mostly.  I was very disappointed that a certain person, while important to the story,  wasn't more important to the story.  I would have loved to have seen that.  I think my favorite character was the priest.  And again, that crucifix scene with Holly Holy playing through the montage.  Just my most favorite part of the whole thing.

The schoolteacher Kate drove me a tad nuts with her wide-eyed overacting at times.  She reminded so very much of Molly, our wide-eyes overactor in Storm of the Century.  But, I absolutely loved her in the end.  Her encountered with the angel was something I had never really seen before in a horror, it had a sensuous quality to it while doing what she had to do -- she kept her wits about her.  Hard to say more without spoilers.  

1. Malignant*
    2. Two Evil Eyes*
    3.  Midnight Mass*
    FlakeNoirNotaroGNTLGNTcatdoyoulove19
  • 2. Possession (1981) (FTV)

As a young couple’s marriage disintegrates in a series of escalating conflicts, the husband discovers his wife has a secret darker than he could have ever imagined.

This film is hard to categorize, hard to assess, and at times hard to watch, although it’s like watching a accident in slow motion—you may not always comprehend what you’re seeing, but you can’t quite take your eyes off it. What seemingly starts out as a “Kramer vs. Kramer”/”War of The Roses” domestic drama on steroids morphs into a Polanski-esque “Repulsion”/Cronenberg “The Brood” mash-up, with a light touch of Berlin Wall political commentary for good measure. The performances are over-the-top, more Kabuki theater than multiplex, but really it’s the only way this could have worked at such a visceral, emotional level. If the domestic hyper-drama of Lars Von Trier’s “Antichrist” was to your liking, then you’ll be transfixed.

Is it horror, though? It stars a young pre-Omen Final Conflict/In the Mouth of Madness/Jurassic Park Sam Neill, for starters. There are nightmarish grotesqueries in this film that are best experienced rather than described here. You may be more shocked than horrified, and this doesn’t follow familiar genre tropes. This film is not here to comfort you and does not draw easy comparisons, but I think it’s fair to call this a unique horror film in its own class. It’s definitely not for everyone, and I would totally understand if someone did not like this film. It’s not really here to be liked, it’s more like getting front-row seats to a toxic relationship disaster, so be prepared to get spattered by a little blood when it inevitably comes.

4 out of 5 stars.

2. Possession (1981) 4/5 (FTV)

FlakeNoirNotaroHedda GablerGNTLGNTcatdoyoulove19

1. Fear Streat part 1 1994 (2021)
    2. Fear Street part 2 1978  (2021)
    3. Escape Room (2019)
    6 people are lured to play escape room but instead of just losing if you dont get out of a room in time you die. in the beginning its cooperation but after awhile they realise that it might be only one survivor it starts to fade away into every person for themself. It was OK. It will never rank among the classics but it kept its pace throughout the movie so i give it 3/5. 
    FlakeNoirNotaroHedda GablerGNTLGNTfushingfeefcatdoyoulove19
  • Flakes 2021 BVMB Horror Movie Marathon (marathon might be overkill)

1) Greta* (2018)

"A young woman befriends a lonely widow who's harboring a dark and deadly agenda toward her."

It was okay, not great but not terrible, a bit predictable.
    I didn't girly-squeal/cover my mouth with my hands or bust out the "shocked eyes" at any point... so, not very scary.

NotaroHedda GablerGNTLGNTfushingfeefcatdoyoulove19
  • edited October 2021
    Flakes.... BVMB... Horror Yadda..

1) Greta* (2018)
    2) No One Gets Out Alive * (2021 Netflix)

"Desperate and without documentation, a woman from Mexico moves into a rundown Cleveland boarding house.  Then the unsettling cries and eerie visions begin."

This was pretty good. I hid behind my blanket, a pillow, my hands and I phoned a friend. Worth a watch. 
    (I'm not ranking these based on the fact I'm still in Horror Virginish territory, so an unreliable source.)

NotaroHedda GablerKurbenGNTLGNTfushingfeefcatdoyoulove19