Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

2021 October Horror Movie Marathon!

Comments

• cat said:
    I'm getting a late start...

1. Mother! 2017 ftv 

Jennifer Lawrence and Javier Bardem are a married couple. He is a poet, she spends her days restoring their house. 

I liked this up to the last 20-30 minutes. I thought it was weird but I was intrigued by the relationship the couple had.  After it was over I looked it up and read it was supposed to be an allegory and she was Mother Nature. He was God. The people who show up...Adam, Eve, Cain and Abel and the swarm of people were the rest of us mortal heathens. I should have never looked it up. I dislike being preached to in the name of art. I should have just left it alone and thought of it as weird. 
    The thing I loved about Mother! was the growing chaos of the scenes and the fluidity of moving through them.  THey had to have been rehearsed extensively and filmed in one go.  Because starting and stopping all that action, all those people and props -- the continuity of that would've been a nightmare.  

As the scenes grew more populated, more dark and active -- it was fascinating to watch it all.  So much going on in every single room, unsettling and more disturbed.  

I would've loved to have been on set to watch how they filmed this. The directions that were given.  Just brilliantly filmed.  

The allegory, the messages don't bother me.  I find people's minds interesting and I like that they challenge me.
    Yes, the fluidity of the scenes, even at the beginning when it was just the two of them, was exactly what fascinated me about it. It was hard to take my eyes off the screen. I did very much like that, I think that is what pulled me in, more so than the story. 

And I suppose I shouldn't let the "message" take away from that. I didn't even realize the story being told was being told until I read it afterwards. It went right over my head. I just resent being put into someone else's preconceived mold. I respect the idea but reject it, at least in relation to how I try to live my life. If that makes any sense. 
    Hedda GablerFlakeNoirGNTLGNTfushingfeef
  • Kurbens Horror Movie List 2021

1. Fear Streat part 1 1994 (2021)
    2. Fear Street part 2 1978  (2021)
    3. Escape Room (2019)
    4. Fear Street part 3 1666 (2021)
    5. Vampires (1998)
    6. The Blob (1988)
    Remake of the 50,ties cult classic. I watched this on Bobs recommendation. He was right. It is actually quite good. A good update. 4/5. I liked the creature.
    Hedda GablercatFlakeNoirGNTLGNTfushingfeef
  • edited October 2021
    cat said:
    cat said:
    I'm getting a late start...

1. Mother! 2017 ftv 

Jennifer Lawrence and Javier Bardem are a married couple. He is a poet, she spends her days restoring their house. 

I liked this up to the last 20-30 minutes. I thought it was weird but I was intrigued by the relationship the couple had.  After it was over I looked it up and read it was supposed to be an allegory and she was Mother Nature. He was God. The people who show up...Adam, Eve, Cain and Abel and the swarm of people were the rest of us mortal heathens. I should have never looked it up. I dislike being preached to in the name of art. I should have just left it alone and thought of it as weird. 
    The thing I loved about Mother! was the growing chaos of the scenes and the fluidity of moving through them.  THey had to have been rehearsed extensively and filmed in one go.  Because starting and stopping all that action, all those people and props -- the continuity of that would've been a nightmare.  

As the scenes grew more populated, more dark and active -- it was fascinating to watch it all.  So much going on in every single room, unsettling and more disturbed.  

I would've loved to have been on set to watch how they filmed this. The directions that were given.  Just brilliantly filmed.  

The allegory, the messages don't bother me.  I find people's minds interesting and I like that they challenge me.
    Yes, the fluidity of the scenes, even at the beginning when it was just the two of them, was exactly what fascinated me about it. It was hard to take my eyes off the screen. I did very much like that, I think that is what pulled me in, more so than the story. 

And I suppose I shouldn't let the "message" take away from that. I didn't even realize the story being told was being told until I read it afterwards. It went right over my head. I just resent being put into someone else's preconceived mold. I respect the idea but reject it, at least in relation to how I try to live my life. If that makes any sense. 
    Yes, totally understand.  That's how art is.  I don't think anyone's interpretation of art is right or wrong necessarily.  Every single person is going to look at a piece of art and see something different.  Some ideas might be shared, but there will still be little pieces of it that are very unique to each of us because we are going to filter any art, whether it be movies, TV shows, books, music, sculptures, paintings etc.... through our own lens. 

We will interpret something based on our knowledge, educational level, experiences, opinions --  and while I may not buy into someone else's vision, I love to hear what their vision is.  How they think. What they saw.  How it made them feel.   It's all valid.  It's for the individual to decide how valid someone else's ideas are to them.
    KurbencatFlakeNoirGNTLGNTfushingfeef
  • 1. Fear Streat part 1 1994 (2021)
    3. Escape Room (2019)
    5. Vampires (1998)
    6. The Blob (1988)
    7. The Turning (2020)
    Based of The Turn Of the Screw by James. It carefully a bit vague. What she sees are they ghosts or something she just sees? Can be interoreted both way. Had creeoy moments but not anyreal scare-hop-out-of-my-pants moments. But anyone taking on the cjassics are worth a pat on the back. 3/5
    FlakeNoirHedda GablercatGNTLGNTfushingfeef
  • Sweet River* (2020)

"In hopes of solving her son's mysterious murder, grief-stricken Hanna visits the place of his death and explores a community full of sinister secrets."

This is an Australian film, it was more sad than scary but had it moments. If anything it was a little slow moving.  

Flakes 2021 BVMB Horror Movie Thing:
    * = first time viewing 

1) Greta* (2018)
    2) No One Gets Out Alive* (2021)
    3) The Night Flier* (1997)
    4) In the Tall Grass* (2019)
    5) Sweet River* (2020)
    catGNTLGNTHedda Gablerfushingfeef
  • more sad than scary

....especially as a toddler when my parents dressed me as a Russian peasant woman ready for a big day of digging potatoes.....wish to hell I could find that picture....
    Hedda GablerKurbenFlakeNoirfushingfeefcat
  • 7. The Day of the Beast (FTV)
    In Spanish with subtitles. This black comedy horror features a priest who has decoded the Bible trying to summon the Devil so he can stop the birth of the Antichrist in 1990’s Madrid, with the assistance of a death metal record store clerk and a talk-show psychic/exorcist.

If the premise sounds bonkers but compelling, that’s because it is. “Bonkers but compelling” pretty much describes the whole movie. The fun starts when the priest believes he can gain the trust of Satan by sinning at every opportunity he gets, so it’s shockingly funny to see the priest running amok for the first half of the movie, like when he steals the wallet of a car accident victim and leans in and whispers “May your soul rot in hell.” The special effects are pretty good when they are up close and bloody, but some of the wider shots on top of buildings are pretty bad blue screen—seems like a weird place to skimp on the budget.

The movie has some questionable logic, even within its own crazy confines, so I wasn’t always sure the motivations and subsequent actions made any sense. It does rely on a fair number of convenient coincidences to move the plot along, but at least it was entertaining. This one has “cult film” written all over it, it’s easy to see why Guillermo del Toro said he was a big fan.

3 out of 5 stars.

Bob's October 2020 Horror Movie List
    *FTV denotes first-time viewings
    1. The Conjuring 3: The Devil Made Me Do It 3/5 (FTV)
    2. Possession (1981) 4/5 (FTV)
    3. The Endless 4/5 (FTV)
    4. Dead & Buried 4/5 (FTV)
    5. The Blob (1988) 4/5 (FTV)
    6. The New York Ripper 3/5 (FTV)
    7. The Day of the Beast 3/5 (FTV)

Hedda GablerKurbenFlakeNoirGNTLGNTcat
  • Can i ask a favor of everyone? Can you post where you saw your movie— netflix, Hulu, amazon etc …

i’ve seen some movies i think might be worth a view but with so many formats, it would make it easier to know if it is available to me if you would say where you saw it. Thanks!
    NotaroFlakeNoirGNTLGNTfushingfeefcat
  • edited October 2021
    Rewatched The Night Stalker. Classic TV movie with Darren McGavin as Carl Kolchak who tries to convince the Las Vegas police that a vampire is responsible for a string of Murders. Great cast, and top notch performance from McGavin which led to a sequel and an all too brief TV show. (Watched on YouTube) 

Trailer 

Full movie... 

Rewatched, The Ripper. Jack the ripper stalks the streets of Whitechapel, Inspector Jim Hansen believes that a member of the royal family may be the killer but will he be thwarted from bringing him to justice. It is better than it looks mainly thanks to Samuel West's performance as Prince Albert, he plays the villan extremely well. Filmed in Australia so needless to say the accents are all over the place, still I've got a soft spot for it. (DVD viewing) 

Hedda GablerKurbenFlakeNoirGNTLGNTfushingfeefcat
  • 2021 Movie Marathon List

01. Halloween 2
    02. The Final Girls 
    03. The Haunting
    04. I, Desire 
    05. The Hole In The Ground
    06. Kolchak :The Night Stalker
    07. The Ripper
    Hedda GablerFlakeNoirGNTLGNTfushingfeefcat
  • Notaro said:
    2021 Movie Marathon List

01. Halloween 2
    02. The Final Girls 
    03. The Haunting
    04. I, Desire 
    07. The Ripper
    I watched that kolchak one not too long ago myself. I love kolchak. 
    3. Escape Room (2019)
    5. Vampires (1998)
    6. The Blob (1988)
    7. The Turning (2020)
    8. The Final Girls (2015)
    This is what i guess is called Horrorcomedy. I rarely like those because they are either so much horror that the comedy feels really misplaced or the opposite. But this one i think manages the balancing act well. 5 youths from today escape a burning movie theatre by stepping through the screen and into the movie. Only problem is that its a cult slasher movie and how not to be yet another victim? The leads are played by Taissa Farmiga and Malin Åkerman (swedish) and they do what they can with rather limited roles. Entertaining as long as you accept the premise. A lot of slasher cliches in the supporting leads which is only to be expected since they are there to be msde fun of. Not a cineastic masterpiece but funny and scary. 4/5
    NotaroFlakeNoirHedda GablerGNTLGNTfushingfeefcat
    3. Escape Room (2019)
    5. Vampires (1998)
    6. The Blob (1988)
    7. The Turning (2020)
    9. Boar (2017)
    This is an Australian creature feature with a gigantic boar (about the size of a really big rhino) in the lead. It eats everything, starts with the sheep in the australian bush and graduates to campers and farmers. While pretty formulaic, it follows a well established pattern of these kind of movies, it is not bad even if far from really good. I've never heard so many characters say fuck in every sentence as here. Is it supposed to be an australian thing or satire or just plain bad dialogue? No idea. The characters are just there and no development of them take place. But on a basic horror level it works well enough. 2,5/5
    Hedda GablerFlakeNoirGNTLGNTfushingfeefcat
  • The Gorgon -- 1964 -- Roku

"In the early twentieth century, a Gorgon takes human form and terrorizes a small European village by turning its citizens to stone."

The Gorgon - 1964 - Movie Poster  eBay

It's a Hammer film.  I love Hammer films.  Nothing else needs be said.   :D

Dana's 2021 Movie Marathon list
    * indicates first time viewing

1. Malignant*
    2. Two Evil Eyes*
    3.  Midnight Mass*
    4.  You Can't Kill Stephen King*
    5.  Eraserhead*
    6. Edgar Allan Poe's Lighthouse Keeper*
    7. The Chestnut Man*
    8.  The Gorgon
  • The Chestnut Man* (TV series 2021 Netflix)

"Thulin and her reluctant new partner, Hess, investigate a gruesome murder.  Politician Rosa Hartung returns to work after her daughter's disappearance."

I really enjoyed this series, although I solved it before it was completely through, I was still guessing who that might actually be, right up until just before the reveal. 

The Hole in the Ground* (2019 Netflix)

"After moving to a new town, a single mother becomes convinced that her son has been replaced by something from beneath the sinkhole behind their house."

An Irish movie, great cast... very creepy, didn't relax until after the credits finished rolling.

* = first time viewing 

1) Greta* (2018 Netflix)
    2) No One Gets Out Alive* (2021 Netflix)
    3) The Night Flier* (1997 YouTube)
    4) In the Tall Grass* (2019 Netflix)
    5) Sweet River* (2020 Netflix)
    6) The Chestnut Man* (2021 Netflix)
    7) The Hole in the Ground * (2019 Netflix)
    NotaroGNTLGNTfushingfeefcat
  • ...Hammer & Kolchak.....

Memories GIFs  Tenor
    NotaroFlakeNoirfushingfeefcat
  • Rewatched, Dr.Terror's House Of Horrors

Great anthology movie from Amicus studios. Five men on a train are joined by an elderly man who purports to be able to tell the future for each man using his deck of tarot cards. Great movie, great cast, only one weak story in the bunch, the voodoo tale isn't very satisfying but that aside this is a hugely enjoyable movie. (DVD viewing) 

Full movie. 

Rewatched, Kolchak: The Night Strangler
    Kolchak is once again on the case as a spate of killings of exotic dancers occur in Washington, Carl discovers that similar Murders have occurred every 20 years since the late 1800s, surely the same individual cannot be responsible... can he?  (YouTube viewing) 

Full movie. 

2021 Movie Marathon List

01. Halloween 2
    02. The Final Girls 
    03. The Haunting
    04. I, Desire 
    07. The Ripper
    08. Dr. Terror's House Of Horrors 
    09. Kolchak: The Night Strangler 
    GNTLGNTFlakeNoirfushingfeefcat
  • edited October 2021
    Rewatched, Superstition
    The ghost of a witch takes bloody revenge on anyone who comes within her grasp. Run of the mill horror, stereotypical characters, still reasonably enjoyable. (DVD viewing) 

Rewatched, Halloween 3: Season Of The Witch
    A Doctor investigates after a brutal murder in his hospital, the trail leads to a small town and a factory manufacturing novelty masks which is preparing for the upcoming Halloween holiday. 

2021 Movie Marathon List

01. Halloween 2
    02. The Final Girls 
    03. The Haunting
    04. I, Desire 
    07. The Ripper
    08. Dr. Terror's House Of Horrors 
    09. Kolchak: The Night Strangler 
    10. Superstition 
    11. Halloween 3:Season Of The Witch 
    FlakeNoirfushingfeefGNTLGNTHedda Gablercat
  • 8. Bad Ronald (FTV)
    When an oddball teenager accidentally kills one of his tormentors, his mother hides him between the walls of the house until things blow over. But when mom dies during routine surgery, Ronald is left to fend for himself, even when a new family with teen daughters moves into the house, unaware of his creepy presence.

This movie was actually an ABC made for television film broadcast a week before Halloween in 1974, so if you lived through the 70’s you’ll either welcome this kind of film with nostalgia or a knowing eye-roll. I’m a bit of a sucker for the subgenre of horror that involves people living undetected between the walls of a house (there are many fine and not-so-fine examples), so I rather enjoyed this movie, although at times the pacing felt pretty slow for a movie that comes in at only 74 minutes. Considering the context that this was actually broadcast into America’s homes, the occasionally twisted moments and unhinged third act are worth the wait. This movie probably scared the crap out of a lot of 70’s kids who grew up to be horror fans.

Scott Jacoby (The Little Girl Who Lives Down The Lane) does a fine job here playing the titular role, as does his overprotective mother Kim Hunter. We also get familiar character actors John Larch (Amityville Horror, Dirty Harry) and Dabney Coleman, although the real find for me was Ted Eccles, who later played one of the teenagers in Krofft Supershow’s “Dr. Shrinker”!

3 out of 5 stars.

3. The Endless 4/5 (FTV)
    8. Bad Ronald 3/5 (FTV)

GNTLGNTNotaroFlakeNoircat
  • Can i ask a favor of everyone? Can you post where you saw your movie— netflix, Hulu, amazon etc …

i’ve seen some movies i think might be worth a view but with so many formats, it would make it easier to know if it is available to me if you would say where you saw it. Thanks!
    Unless I state otherwise, you can assume every movie I watch is on Blu Ray or DVD.  However, that doesn't necessarily mean they aren't available somewhere for streaming, I just prefer to own the physical media.  It's an expensive hobby, I know, I know...
    GNTLGNTNotaroFlakeNoirHedda Gablercat
  • ...."Bad Ronald"...sounds like a mistaken trip to McDonalds..... :D
    NotaroFlakeNoirHedda Gablerfushingfeefcat
  • GNTLGNT said:
    ...."Bad Ronald"...sounds like a mistaken trip to McDonalds..... :D
    I think it is an adaption of a novel, rather good, by Jack Vance. A very good SF-writer in one of his rare tries of other genres. Cant say for sure bevause havent seen the movie but the book was good.
    FlakeNoirHedda GablerGNTLGNTfushingfeefcat
  • Kurbens Horror Marathon list 2021

1. Fear Streat part 1 1994 (2021)
    3. Escape Room (2019)
    5. Vampires (1998)
    6. The Blob (1988)
    7. The Turning (2020)
    9. Boar (2017)
    10. The Dead Don't Die (2019)
    This is a Zombie movie but a rather weird/strange one. I'm still very unsure of what the ending meant if anything. It is directed by Jim Jarmusch (he usually means something with his movies) and full of good actors. Tilda Swinton is great as a female undertaker that has samurai skills. Bill Murray, Adam Driver and Chloe Sevigny are the cops. Also in important roles are Tom Waits, Danny Glover, Selena Gomez and Steve Buscemi. And Iggy Pop is a zombie and looks like he has not have so much fun in years as when hes munching on some guts. It has its injokes and even in its weirdness it mainly sticks to the zombie rulebook. Some things not commonly seen is that zombies sticks to the things they valued in life mostly. There a crazy scene where a group zombies stand outside the pharmacy saying Oxy, Ambien and uppers. 4/5
    FlakeNoirNotaroHedda GablerGNTLGNTfushingfeefcat
  • The Ritual* (2018 Netflix)

"Four friends with a long standing--but strained--connection take a hiking trip into the Swedish wilderness, from which they may never return."

Okay, this one gave me plenty of scares, a few nervous laughs and basically I was glad when it was over. 😄

* = first time viewing 

1) Greta* (2018 Netflix)
    2) No One Gets Out Alive* (2021 Netflix)
    3) The Night Flier* (1997 YouTube)
    4) In the Tall Grass* (2019 Netflix)
    5) Sweet River* (2020 Netflix)
    6) The Chestnut Man* (2021 Netflix)
    7) The Hole in the Ground * (2019 Netflix)
    8) The Ritual* (2018 Netflix)
    NotaroHedda GablerGNTLGNTfushingfeefcat
  • 8. Bad Ronald (FTV)
    When an oddball teenager accidentally kills one of his tormentors, his mother hides him between the walls of the house until things blow over. But when mom dies during routine surgery, Ronald is left to fend for himself, even when a new family with teen daughters moves into the house, unaware of his creepy presence.

This movie was actually an ABC made for television film broadcast a week before Halloween in 1974, so if you lived through the 70’s you’ll either welcome this kind of film with nostalgia or a knowing eye-roll. I’m a bit of a sucker for the subgenre of horror that involves people living undetected between the walls of a house (there are many fine and not-so-fine examples), so I rather enjoyed this movie, although at times the pacing felt pretty slow for a movie that comes in at only 74 minutes. Considering the context that this was actually broadcast into America’s homes, the occasionally twisted moments and unhinged third act are worth the wait. This movie probably scared the crap out of a lot of 70’s kids who grew up to be horror fans.

Scott Jacoby (The Little Girl Who Lives Down The Lane) does a fine job here playing the titular role, as does his overprotective mother Kim Hunter. We also get familiar character actors John Larch (Amityville Horror, Dirty Harry) and Dabney Coleman, although the real find for me was Ted Eccles, who later played one of the teenagers in Krofft Supershow’s “Dr. Shrinker”!

3 out of 5 stars.

3. The Endless 4/5 (FTV)
    8. Bad Ronald 3/5 (FTV)

I absolutely flippin’ love Bad Ronald. I saw it on TV as a kid and thought it was hella scary.   I caught it not too long ago out in the wild, but sightings are rare. And still fantastic IMO. 
    NotaroKurbenGNTLGNTfushingfeefFlakeNoircat