Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

2021 October Horror Movie Marathon!

Comments

• 5. The House By the Cemetery 1981 ftv recorded from The Movie Channel, interwebs says it is also on hulu 

This one started out promising, creepy looking house with a cemetery in the yard and 2 killings right away. Then we meet a family, couple and young boy. The father knew the person who used to live in the house and they were moving there. The boy sees a girl who keeps telling him to stay away. It was very dry from there out. It seemed like all they did was walk through the house yelling for one another. "Bob! Where are you? Bob!" And so on. There were a few pretty gory scenes but as a whole, not scary and pretty boring, really. 

6. Fright Night 2011 TMC 

Remake of the classic vampire movie, with Anton Yelchin and Colin Farrell. I have seen this before but it has been a long time. The original is one of my favorite movies ever and this one is very good as well. It is not a straight up remake, it has some differences but I think that works in its favor to not be (or try to be) a carbon copy. 

Very nice Easter egg with Chris Sarandon (Jerry the vampire in original movie)  playing a victim in this one. And David Tennant is great as Peter Vincent. I like this one...not quite as much as the original but it is pretty good in its own right. 

7. The Addams Family 2019 ftv hulu 

Animated version of the spooky family, the movie opens with Gomez and Morticia getting married and then chased out of town by the townspeople. They flee to find their own place, where they will not be bothered by anyone and find Lurch on the way. They land at the house we all know, which had previously been an asylum. 

Fast forward a few years and a TV personality/home renovator person has developed an entire town below the Addams house and of course, wants them gone, just as the family is preparing to welcome other family members to witness Pugsley's Mezerka, his manhood rite of passage ritual. 

This was a fun little movie. I said right away it had a Tim Burton feel and turns out he was supposed to direct it but ended up not. There is less of his very identifiable style as the movie goes on but it is a fun watch. The plot is so-so, but there are plenty adult jokes sprinkled in and I did laugh out loud several times. One favorite moment...Wednesday finds a red balloon and Morticia takes it from her, saying, "Usually there is a murderous clown attached to these." 😀  Cute, fun little movie. 
    NotaroKurbenGNTLGNTHedda GablerFlakeNoirfushingfeef
  • 6.) Winchester (2018 found on Netflix)-The most haunted house in the world sits on an isolated stretch of land that's 50 miles outside of San Francisco. Built by Sarah Winchester, heiress to the Winchester fortune, it stands seven stories tall and contains hundreds of rooms. To an outsider, it looks like a monstrous monument to a disturbed woman's madness. But Sarah's actually building a prison, an asylum for hundreds of vengeful ghosts -- and the most terrifying among them have a score to settle with the Winchesters.
    ....I have seen several paranormal investigations that were done at this puzzlebox of a house, so was intrigued when I stumbled across this film that stars Helen Mirren in the titular role.....the movie reaped a good bit of cash, but very little love from critics....meh, it's a gothic style ghost story that puts a nifty spin on the legend of the house...no real jump scares or tremendous effects, just a workmanlike tale that kept me entertained for a bit....and after all, isn't that the point?.....
    Winchester film - Wikipedia

The GNT's BVMB list thingy

1. Hell Fest
    2. In the Tall Grass
    3. #Alive
    4. Ghosts of War
    5. The Silence
    6. Winchester
    catHedda GablerfushingfeefFlakeNoir
  • ....that's about all I'll be able to view, but having never really participated in years past, other than some goofing around...I had fun....
    catNotaroKurbenHedda GablerfushingfeefFlakeNoir
  • Kurbens Horror Marathon list 2021

1. Fear Streat part 1 1994 (2021)
    2. Fear Street part 2 1978  (2021)
    3. Escape Room (2019)
    4. Fear Street part 3 1666 (2021)
    5. Vampires (1998)
    6. The Blob (1988)
    7. The Turning (2020)
    8. The Final Girls (2015)
    9. Boar (2017)
    10. The Dead Don't Die (2019)
    11. Les Affamés (2017)
    12. Demoni (1985)
    13. Repulsion (1965)
    14. Harpoon (2019)
    15. The Limehouse Golem (2016)
    This was a horror/mystery with much more weight put on the mystery part of it. takes place in 1880 and they have done a really good job in catching the look of that time. The female lead, played by Olivia Cooke, was really good and carried this movie for me. The mystery has, as mysteries most often have, a twist at the end. A good one even if not totally unexpected. A fun thing was to see Karl Marx as one of the early suspects. 3/5
    catGNTLGNTHedda GablerNotarofushingfeefFlakeNoir
  • edited October 2021
    14. The Raven* -- 1935 -- Criterion Channel

"Dr. Vollin is a brilliant but unstable surgeon with a morbid obsession for instruments of torture. He saves the life of Jean Thatcher, a beautiful young socialite injured in an automobile accident and becomes increasingly attracted to her."

The Raven 1935 - IMDb

I am so shocked.  I've never seen this one.  If I have, I totally blocked it out of my head.  Cheesy as all get out, but I just have a sentimental bone for these old spooks.

Dana's 2021 Movie Marathon list
    * indicates first time viewing

1. Malignant*
    2. Two Evil Eyes*
    3.  Midnight Mass*
    4.  You Can't Kill Stephen King*
    5.  Eraserhead*
    6. Edgar Allan Poe's Lighthouse Keeper*
    7. The Chestnut Man*
    8.  The Gorgon
    9.  Frankenstein
    10. Prom Night II*
    11.  The Conjuring*
    12. Premonition*
    13.  Vault of Horror
    14. The Raven*
    fushingfeefcatFlakeNoirGNTLGNT
  • 13. The Mortuary Collection (FTV)

Horror anthology where an elderly mortician relays the tales of the recently deceased to a young job applicant.

Every year I try to watch a new horror anthology because if you one segment isn’t your cup of tea, you just might like the next. This movie mostly works, with the wraparound story featuring a great performance by Highlander’s Kurgan himself, Clancy Brown as the dark-humored mortician. He was probably the best thing about the whole movie, actually, so kudos to the filmmakers for actually putting some thought into the wraparound story and making it stand out from the individual segments. I could watch a whole movie about this old guy…prequel, anyone?

The first segment barely counts (it’s the shortest) but it’s a nasty little tale about what happens if you open the medicine cabinet in someone else’s bathroom. The second segment cautions us about safe sex on campus (I liked how the fraternity Greek letters spelled “S.T.D.”) with a great gross-out ending. The third segment is perhaps the darkest humor of them all, with a man trying to murder his comatose wife and the problems keep piling up as he can’t get rid of the body—there’s a lot of blood. The fourth segment is titled “The Babysitter Murders”, that tells you pretty much all you need to know, and there’s a nasty twist that ties it all together.

Looking back, I realize that the segments cover many favorite horror genres through time: the haunted house, the 50’s monster movie, Cronenbergian body horror, a Hitchcockian murder mystery, and the slasher. A little bit of something for everyone. Yeah, this movie is sometimes cheesy and it’s not exactly A-list material, but it’s pretty enjoyable (if you’re not too easily grossed out).

3 out of 5 stars.

Bob's October 2021 Horror Movie List
    *FTV denotes first-time viewings
    1. The Conjuring 3: The Devil Made Me Do It 3/5 (FTV)
    2. Possession (1981) 4/5 (FTV)
    3. The Endless 4/5 (FTV)
    4. Dead & Buried 4/5 (FTV)
    5. The Blob (1988) 4/5 (FTV)
    6. The New York Ripper 3/5 (FTV)
    7. The Day of the Beast 3/5 (FTV)
    8. Bad Ronald 3/5 (FTV)
    9. A Quiet Place Part II 2/5 (FTV)
    10. Popcorn 3/5
    11. The Vigil (2019) 4/5 (FTV)
    12. Beyond the Door (aka The Devil Within Her) 2/5 (FTV)
    13. The Mortuary Collection 3/5 (FTV)

Hedda GablercatFlakeNoirGNTLGNT
  • 15.  The Innocents -- 1961 -- Criterion CHannel

"A young governess for two children becomes convinced that the house and grounds are haunted."

The Innocents 20th Century Fox 1962 Folded Very Fine  Lot 51233   Heritage Auctions

I'm sorry.  How long has Bob been hosting this?  Many years now.  And every damn year this is on my list.  It has to be.  

Gothic horror at its best.  The best kid actors in a movie ever.  

1. Malignant*
    2. Two Evil Eyes*
    3.  Midnight Mass*
    5.  Eraserhead*
    7. The Chestnut Man*
    8.  The Gorgon
    9.  Frankenstein
    10. Prom Night II*
    11.  The Conjuring*
    12. Premonition*
    13.  Vault of Horror
    14. The Raven*
    15. The Innocents
    catKurbenFlakeNoirGNTLGNTfushingfeef

3. Escape Room (2019)
    5. Vampires (1998)
    6. The Blob (1988)
    7. The Turning (2020)
    9. Boar (2017)
    11. Les Affamés (2017)
    12. Demoni (1985)
    13. Repulsion (1965)
    14. Harpoon (2019)
    16. The Creature Of The Black Lagoon (1954)
    I have actually read a comic about this one but never seen the movie. It is Jack Arnold that directs it and he is behind many 50,s classics for a reason. I guess that by todays standard the monster isn't very monstrous but whoever it was in the monster suit did a good job. The leads are played by Richard Carlson and Julia Adams. I think it stands up reasonably well today. And i must admit admit i have a certain weakness for oldies....  3/5
    FlakeNoircatHedda GablerGNTLGNTfushingfeef
  • edited October 2021
    Rewatched, The Lodger.

A stranger takes lodgings at a private house but the landlady starts to suspect he may be Jack The Ripper. Good movie, well acted, Laird Cregar in particular is very impressive as Slade/Jack The Ripper, Merle Oberon and George Sanders also star. (DVD viewing) 

Full movie... 

2021 Movie Marathon List

01. Halloween 2
    02. The Final Girls 
    03. The Haunting
    04. I, Desire 
    05. The Hole In The Ground
    06. Kolchak :The Night Stalker
    07. The Ripper
    08. Dr. Terror's House Of Horrors 
    09. Kolchak: The Night Strangler 
    10. Superstition 
    11. Halloween 3:Season Of The Witch
    12. Hell Night
    13. The Witch
    14. The Lodger
    FlakeNoirGNTLGNTfushingfeef
  • edited October 2021
    16. House of Wax — 1953

“An associate burns down a wax museum with the owner inside, but he survives only to become vengeful and murderous.”

I still love this version best of all the waxy movies. Vincent Price — iconic

1. Malignant*
    2. Two Evil Eyes*
    3.  Midnight Mass*
    5.  Eraserhead*
    7. The Chestnut Man*
    8.  The Gorgon
    9.  Frankenstein
    10. Prom Night II*
    11.  The Conjuring*
    12. Premonition*
    13.  Vault of Horror
    14. The Raven*
    15. The Innocents
    16. House of Wax
    NotaroFlakeNoirGNTLGNTfushingfeef
  • The Cave* (2005 Netflix)

"When the cavern they're surveying collapses, a group of seasoned explorers is stranded inside a network of caves at the bottom of the ocean."

Plenty creepy this one with the added terror of worrying about them being underwater too long without breathing apparatus. The music alone in this one kept my heart rate elevated.

Flakes 2021 BVMB Horror Movie Thing:
    * = first time viewing 

1) Greta* (2018 Netflix)
    2) No One Gets Out Alive* (2021 Netflix)
    3) The Night Flier* (1997 YouTube)
    4) In the Tall Grass* (2019 Netflix)
    5) Sweet River* (2020 Netflix)
    6) The Chestnut Man* (2021 TV Series Netflix)
    7) The Hole in the Ground * (2019 Netflix)
    8) The Ritual* (2018 Netflix)
    9) Fractured* (2019 Netflix)
    10) Dr. Terror's House of Horrors* (1965 YouTube)
    11) Friday the Munting 13th* (1980 Netflix)
    12) Curon* (2020 TV Series Netflix)
    13) The House that Dripped Blood* (1971 YouTube)
    14) World War Z (2013 Netflix)
    15) The Vault of Horror * (1973 Netflix)
    16) The Limehouse Golem* (2016 Netflix)
    17) The Cave* (2005 Netflix)
    NotaroGNTLGNTfushingfeefHedda Gabler
  • ....I may "dive" into this one Flakes, have seen it in the listings-and don't think it'll give Tracy nightmares....I only watched a segment of Ghost Adventures before bed last night....it featured Zak's demonic ego....shock and amazement there.... :D
    FlakeNoirNotarofushingfeefHedda Gabler

3. Escape Room (2019)
    5. Vampires (1998)
    6. The Blob (1988)
    7. The Turning (2020)
    9. Boar (2017)
    11. Les Affamés (2017)
    12. Demoni (1985)
    13. Repulsion (1965)
    14. Harpoon (2019)
    17. Cat People (1943)
    The Original. Not the one with Nastassia Kinski (Didn't they make one with Halle Berry too?). It is directed by Jacques Tourneur and stars Simone Simon. It has no great transition scenes cause the technic of it wasn't there but it delivers some great plays with shadows so you never actually see any violence but its creepy never the less in the anticipation of it. Especially the swimmingpool scene. The acting is about medium, not bad but also nothing you fall in admiration of. i'll give it 3/5.
    fushingfeefFlakeNoirHedda GablerGNTLGNTNotaro
  • 14. The Borrower (FTV)

A hard-nosed female cop is on the trail of an alien banished to Earth in human form who must periodically replace his frequently-exploding head with a fresh one harvested from other humans. Really.

The outrageous concept of this film and its reputation for great practical effects are what convinced me to give this one a try despite middling reviews, but I should have listened to the reviewers, as this movie is a total mess (both in gore and in execution). Although this was released in 1991, it was actually filmed starting in late 1988 (there’s even a glimpse of a Time magazine with Reagan on the cover), which tells you how troubled this production must have been. Directed by John McNaughton who gave us the excellent Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer several years earlier, this film at first seems like it’s going to be fun trashy horror, or at least one of those “so bad it’s good” deals, but it suffers from tonal whiplash when shifting to the cop story, which is played completely straight, and maddeningly slow.

There’s a subplot where an escaped criminal is stalking the cop which contributes absolutely nothing to the overall plot involving the alien. It’s as if half the cast is completely unaware of what kind of movie this is supposed to be; and perhaps they weren’t. Or maybe the writers mashed together a boring cop drama with the superior film The Hidden just to get the thing financed. Overall the whole thing feels sloppy at a structural level, like the filmmakers weren’t paying attention. For example, when the Caucasian-bodied alien rips off the head of a Black man and wears it, the makeup artists failed to take into account the differences in the characters’ races, so the hands’ skin tones should now be mismatched but they aren’t. Did they think no one would notice?

Genre mainstays Rae Dawn Chong (Quest for Fire, Commando), Don Gordon (Towering Inferno, Bullitt) and Tom Towles (Henry: Portrait) round out the cast, with the best performance coming from Starsky & Hutch’s Huggy Bear himself, Antonio Fargas, who I hadn’t seen since I’m Gonna Git You Sucka! Also a cute young Madchen Amick (Twin Peaks, Sleepwalkers) in a throwaway role as a videographer to a terrible heavy metal band. I confess I did enjoy seeing the lead singer get eaten by a dog-headed alien, and some of the effects are pretty cool, but the highlights in this movie just weren’t worth all the heavy lifting.

2 out of 5 stars.

3. The Endless 4/5 (FTV)
    8. Bad Ronald 3/5 (FTV)
    10. Popcorn 3/5
    14. The Borrower 2/5 (FTV)

FlakeNoirHedda GablerGNTLGNTNotaro

3. Escape Room (2019)
    5. Vampires (1998)
    6. The Blob (1988)
    7. The Turning (2020)
    9. Boar (2017)
    11. Les Affamés (2017)
    12. Demoni (1985)
    13. Repulsion (1965)
    14. Harpoon (2019)
    17. Cat People (1943)
    18. Ghosts Of War (2020)
    I saw this on the recommendation of our friendly giant. He was right. It is well worth a watch. The hauntings in the mansion especially are, if not original, well done and satisfactorily creepy. And i like the thought of a ghost story set in WW2. The final twist wasn't really to my liking and, to me, took some of the fun of the movie out of it. But it held me entertained for the duration and that after all is achieving its goal, right? 3,5/5
    FlakeNoirHedda GablerGNTLGNTNotarofushingfeef
  • The Silence* (2019 Netflix)

"With the world under attack by deadly creatures who hunt by sound, a teen and her family seek refuge outside the city and encounter a mysterious cult."

I think Scott gave a rundown of this a few posts back?

It was okay, held my attention throughout but was fairly predictable. 

* = first time viewing 

1) Greta* (2018 Netflix)
    18) The Silence * (2019 Netflix)
    Hedda GablerGNTLGNTNotarofushingfeef
  • Daybreakers* (2010 Amazon Prime)

"In the year 2019, a plague (OMG 😳) has transformed almost every human being into vampires. Faced with a dwindling blood supply, the fractured dominant race plots their survival; meanwhile, a researcher works with a covert band of vamps to save humankind."

Okay, this was far more bitey, killy, rend asunder than I'm normally comfortable with. But it was good, great cast and storyline.

* = first time viewing 

1) Greta* (2018 Netflix)
    19) Daybreakers* (2010 Amazon Prime)
    GNTLGNTNotarofushingfeefHedda Gabler
  • Fire in the Sky. :o

On the evening of November 5, 1975, a group of loggers saw a bright crimson light in a forest in White Mountains, Arizona. Curious, Travis Walton goes out for a closer look and is pushed to the ground by a blue-green energy beam. His co-workers escape in terror and they inform the police that Travis has been abducted by a flying saucer. For the next five days, Travis remains missing and the loggers endure ridicule and contempt as they are accused of murder. When he is found alive, Travis is unable to account the missing days, but the amazing ordeal slowly begins to emerge.

FlakeNoirGNTLGNTNotarofushingfeefHedda Gabler

3. Escape Room (2019)
    5. Vampires (1998)
    6. The Blob (1988)
    7. The Turning (2020)
    9. Boar (2017)
    11. Les Affamés (2017)
    12. Demoni (1985)
    13. Repulsion (1965)
    14. Harpoon (2019)
    17. Cat People (1943)
    18. Ghosts Of War (2020)
    19. Lake Placid vs Anaconda (2015)
    Giant Crocodiles and giant Anacondas get lose, through some coldhearted genetic manipulation by bad scientist and henchmen, in a recreation area, Clear Lake. Suddenly the lake is not clear anymore and a bunch of sorority girls try to survive when their beach fun turns into a nightmare. Pretty standard but the snakes and crocs were good. And Robert Englund plays a minor part as a local. 3/5
    GNTLGNTNotaroFlakeNoirfushingfeefHedda Gabler
  • ...Englund is a good'un no matter what he's playing....I really admire that guy....he's one that has owned the genre....
    KurbenNotaroFlakeNoirfushingfeefHedda Gabler
  • 15. Cemetery of Terror (FTV)

Teenagers steal a corpse from a morgue and perform a Satanic ritual that raises the dead at a nearby cemetery, surprising the local trick-or-treaters .

This 1985 Mexican film was a nice low-budget surprise, nicely restored by the Vinegar Syndrome label. It starts out like your standard 80’s slasher, with obnoxious horny teens played by twenty-somethings. The guys trick the girls into thinking they’re going to an exclusive Halloween party at a mansion, turns out it’s just an excuse to get some time alone at the abandoned house near the cemetery. Next thing you know, they find an evil ancient tome filled with Latin incantations, and we’re off to the races.

But there’s an entire second story going on, one more along the lines of Stephen King’s It or Stranger Things, where a group of actual children decide that trick-or-treating isn’t enough. They want to go to the cemetery at night as a dare, so they can have bragging rights. Naturally, when the dead start getting raised, the kids are at ground zero and all hell breaks loose.

Another odd dichotomy: the teenager kills are spectacularly gory, what with intestines tumbling out of abdomens and blood gushing freely. But for the younger kids’ scenes, the zombie makeup is less bloody and more along the lines of the undead in the Michael Jackson “Thriller” video (indeed, one of the kids is actually wearing a Michael Jackson jacket). What elevates the movie from good to nearly great is how things just keep escalating in the second half, this movie keeps its foot on the gas pedal. It’s not spoiling much to say the movie runs out of teenagers to kill off with quite a bit of movie remaining (those jerks totally had it coming), but the stakes get raised even higher when all that’s left is the young kids. If you like zombies bursting out of tombs and running amok, stick with it through the slower first half, it’s totally worth it.

4 out of 5 stars.

3. The Endless 4/5 (FTV)
    8. Bad Ronald 3/5 (FTV)
    10. Popcorn 3/5
    14. The Borrower 2/5 (FTV)
    15. Cemetery of Terror 4/5 (FTV)

FlakeNoirGNTLGNTHedda Gabler
  • When a Stranger Calls (Back🙄)* (1993 Amazon Prime)

"A young babysitter all alone in the house with two small children asleep above is bothered by a stranger, unfortunately the phone is dead..."

Right Amazon Prime, you frigging ripped me off. I clicked on a movie titled "When a Stranger Calls 1979". What I got was apparently a sequel (?)
    I was expecting the lines ..." have you checked the children?" which is all I can remember from the original that I must have seen as a child and thought I was revisiting today. 

This was okay, but I was left with questions unanswered.

* = first time viewing 

1) Greta* (2018 Netflix)
    19) Daybreakers* (2010 Amazon Prime)
    20) When a Stranger Calls Back * (1993 Amazon Prime)
    NotaroGNTLGNTKurbenfushingfeef
  • 7. Doom: Annihilation(2019, found on Netflix)-I came back to play for a minute kids, and to pass along a warning.....while this is categorized as "action/sci-fi" it's horror-ible...as in godawful....part of the videogame turned movie machine....I actually began rooting for the "monsters/demons" to rack up the kill count....carboard cutout characters, bad CGI, worse creature effects....I could probably dig change out of my chair cushion and make a better movie......no now, you're probably asking yourself "Self? Did the GNT like this movie or no?"....NONONONONONONO......watch a Flexseal infomercial....more scares.....

Doom Annihilation 2019 - IMDb

1. Hell Fest
    2. In the Tall Grass
    3. #Alive
    4. Ghosts of War
    5. The Silence
    6. Winchester
    7. DOOM: Annihilation
    FlakeNoirKurbenfushingfeefHedda Gabler
  • GNTLGNT said:
    7. Doom: Annihilation(2019, found on Netflix)-I came back to play for a minute kids, and to pass along a warning.....while this is categorized as "action/sci-fi" it's horror-ible...as in godawful....part of the videogame turned movie machine....I actually began rooting for the "monsters/demons" to rack up the kill count....carboard cutout characters, bad CGI, worse creature effects....I could probably dig change out of my chair cushion and make a better movie......no now, you're probably asking yourself "Self? Did the GNT like this movie or no?"....NONONONONONONO......watch a Flexseal infomercial....more scares.....

Doom Annihilation 2019 - IMDb

1. Hell Fest
    2. In the Tall Grass
    3. #Alive
    4. Ghosts of War
    5. The Silence
    6. Winchester
    7. DOOM: Annihilation
    Best review ever!!!
    GNTLGNTFlakeNoirfushingfeefHedda Gabler