Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

2021 October Horror Movie Marathon!

Comments

• Friday the 13th* (1980 Netflix)

I suspect for everyone other than me, this needs no introduction. 
    This is the original and what can I say?  I just don't cope well with throat cutting... and sharp things slicing through bodies.

I peered through fingers in front of my face for much of it... and I want to punch the bastard in the throat that decided on the nice calming, comforting music right before that SOB Jason popped out of the water towards the end. A$$hole.

Flakes 2021 BVMB Horror Movie Thing:
    * = first time viewing 

1) Greta* (2018 Netflix)
    2) No One Gets Out Alive* (2021 Netflix)
    3) The Night Flier* (1997 YouTube)
    4) In the Tall Grass* (2019 Netflix)
    5) Sweet River* (2020 Netflix)
    6) The Chestnut Man* (2021 Netflix)
    7) The Hole in the Ground * (2019 Netflix)
    8) The Ritual* (2018 Netflix)
    9) Fractured* (2019 Netflix)
    10) Dr. Terror's House of Horrors* (1965 YouTube)
    11) Friday the Munting 13th* (1980 Netflix)
    catKurbenNotaroGNTLGNTHedda Gablerfushingfeef
  • Kurbens Horror Marathon list 2021

1. Fear Streat part 1 1994 (2021)
    2. Fear Street part 2 1978  (2021)
    3. Escape Room (2019)
    4. Fear Street part 3 1666 (2021)
    5. Vampires (1998)
    6. The Blob (1988)
    7. The Turning (2020)
    8. The Final Girls (2015)
    9. Boar (2017)
    10. The Dead Don't Die (2019)
    11. Les Affamés (2017)
    12. Demoni (1985)
    13. Repulsion (1965)
    This is my first rewatch. And is just as good as earlier. A big masterpiece. Catherine Deneuve is absolutely fantastic as the woman with a fear of interaction with people that slowly slips into madness. You can see it on her and feel her inner feelings even though she doesnt speak very much. One of the best performances by an actor i've ever seen. The horror lies in the situations shes placed in, the feelings she, and we, endure and the way Polanski pictures them. In my opinion this is Polanskis best movie (He has made many real good movies). It is also his first english spoken one. So so good. 5/5 and if i could give it more i would.
    FlakeNoircatGNTLGNTHedda Gablerfushingfeef
  • Curon* (2020 TV Series Netflix)

"When their mother vanishes after they arrive in her hometown, teenage twins discover secrets behind the village's tranquil facade."

Sort of a supernatural drama series. It was a bit of a slow-burn but still very enjoyable. It's Italian, (subtitles) I'm really enjoying seeing all the foreign series.

* = first time viewing 

1) Greta* (2018 Netflix)
    6) The Chestnut Man* (2021 TV Series Netflix)
    12) Curon* (2020 TV Series Netflix)
    catGNTLGNTHedda Gablerfushingfeef
  • 12! This is the first time I've ever rated in one of these things... I am officially a Bangor Buddy... f'k yee-ah! 

Sorry, carry on.
    NotarocatGNTLGNTHedda Gablerfushingfeef
  • FlakeNoir said:
    12! This is the first time I've ever rated in one of these things... I am officially a Bangor Buddy... f'k yee-ah! 

Sorry, carry on.
    We are all very proud of you, Flake!!   :) B)
    FlakeNoirNotarocatGNTLGNTHedda Gablerfushingfeef
  • Kurben said:
    FlakeNoir said:
    12! This is the first time I've ever rated in one of these things... I am officially a Bangor Buddy... f'k yee-ah! 

Sorry, carry on.
    We are all very proud of you, Flake!!   :) B)
    Thank you... ☺🦇❤
    catNotaroGNTLGNTHedda Gablerfushingfeef
  • The House that Dripped Blood* (1971 YouTube)

"An anthology of 4 horror stories revolving around a mysterious rental house in the U.K."

I enjoyed this, not quite the same calibre as Dr. Terror's, but still very entertaining. And... I wasn't scared which I'm very thankful for. 

My 13-year-old wants me to watch Scream next. 😳🥺😬 I keep skipping past that one in the Netflix line-up.

* = first time viewing 

1) Greta* (2018 Netflix)
    13) The House that Dripped Blood* (1971 YouTube)
    catNotaroGNTLGNTHedda Gablerfushingfeef
  • @FlakeNoir you are doing great!! Scream is a good one, but a lot of the reason why are the references to other movies. So may I suggest getting a few more classics under your belt before you watch Scream? Halloween, Nightmare on Elm Street for sure. I think you will like it either way, but a lot of the fun is in the Easter eggs. 

Just a thought! ❤ You are killing it! 😉😄
    NotaroFlakeNoirKurbenGNTLGNTHedda Gablerfushingfeef
  • 😁I see what you did there. I will definitely take this under advisement, but skimming through... those all scare the she-it out of me. 
    NotarocatKurbenGNTLGNTHedda Gablerfushingfeef
  • FlakeNoir said:
    😁I see what you did there. I will definitely take this under advisement, but skimming through... those all scare the she-it out of me. 
    Cat is right, Flake. Much of Screams charm lies in all the references to the classics. The two she mentioned are really good and you can always peak through your fingers, right?  :) <3
    catNotaroGNTLGNTFlakeNoirHedda Gablerfushingfeef
  • 4. Ghosts of War (2020)-FINALLY!....I found one that was entertaining in my Netflix queue!!....Five battle-hardened American soldiers assigned to hold a French Chateau near the end of World War II. However, they encounter a supernatural enemy far more terrifying than anything seen on the battlefield.....didn't do squat at making money, which is unfortunate, because the blend of war, horror and sci-fi is a good mind hook....Eric Bress, of Final Destination and Butterfly Effect helmed this one....acting is pretty damn good, effects are acceptable and the storyline is a "thinker"....good use of an hour and a half.....

Ghosts of War 2020 film - Wikipedia

The GNT's BVMB list thingy

1. Hell Fest
    2. In the Tall Grass
    3. #Alive
    4. Ghosts of War
    catFlakeNoirKurbenHedda Gablerfushingfeef
  • FlakeNoir said:
    I've seen Premonition a bunch of times, I really like this one. I'm a Sandra Bullock fan.
    She did a great job as an actor.  I just couldn't invest in the story.  
    fushingfeefFlakeNoirGNTLGNTcat
  • Kurben said:
    Kurbens Horror Marathon list 2021

3. Escape Room (2019)
    5. Vampires (1998)
    6. The Blob (1988)
    7. The Turning (2020)
    9. Boar (2017)
    11. Les Affamés (2017)
    12. Demoni (1985)
    13. Repulsion (1965)
    This is my first rewatch. And is just as good as earlier. A big masterpiece. Catherine Deneuve is absolutely fantastic as the woman with a fear of interaction with people that slowly slips into madness. You can see it on her and feel her inner feelings even though she doesnt speak very much. One of the best performances by an actor i've ever seen. The horror lies in the situations shes placed in, the feelings she, and we, endure and the way Polanski pictures them. In my opinion this is Polanskis best movie (He has made many real good movies). It is also his first english spoken one. So so good. 5/5 and if i could give it more i would.
    This is part of Polanskis' "Apartment Trilogy."  Repulsion, Rosemary's Baby and The Tenant.  I've seen all 3 and my favorite is still Rosemary's Baby.
    fushingfeefKurbenFlakeNoirGNTLGNTcat
  • edited October 2021
    13.  Vault of Horror -- 1973 -- Youtube 

"Five strangers board a descending lift, one by one, in a modern office block in London. They reach the sub-basement, though none of them have pressed for that destination. There they find a large, elaborately furnished room that appears to be a gentlemen's club. The lift door has closed; there are no buttons to bring it back, nor any other exit. Resigned to waiting for help, they settle down with drinks and talk. The conversation turns to dreams, and each man tells of a recurring nightmare."

The Vault of Horror 1973 - Photo Gallery - IMDb

This is Amicus and my favorite anthology.  I watch this over and over all year so feels like a bit of a cheat.  Tough.  It's so good. 

Flakers, I would definitely recommend this one to you and it's on youtube.

1. Malignant*
    2. Two Evil Eyes*
    3.  Midnight Mass*
    4.  You Can't Kill Stephen King*
    5.  Eraserhead*
    6. Edgar Allan Poe's Lighthouse Keeper*
    7. The Chestnut Man*
    8.  The Gorgon
    9.  Frankenstein
    10. Prom Night II*
    11.  The Conjuring*
    12. Premonition*
    13.  Vault of Horror
  • GNTLGNT said:
    4. Ghosts of War (2020)-FINALLY!....I found one that was entertaining in my Netflix queue!!....Five battle-hardened American soldiers assigned to hold a French Chateau near the end of World War II. However, they encounter a supernatural enemy far more terrifying than anything seen on the battlefield.....didn't do squat at making money, which is unfortunate, because the blend of war, horror and sci-fi is a good mind hook....Eric Bress, of Final Destination and Butterfly Effect helmed this one....acting is pretty damn good, effects are acceptable and the storyline is a "thinker"....good use of an hour and a half.....

Ghosts of War 2020 film - Wikipedia

1. Hell Fest
    2. In the Tall Grass
    3. #Alive
    4. Ghosts of War
    Don't you love it when a good one presents itself?   I love when that happens.
  • 11. The Vigil (2019) (FTV)

A young man who defected from the Hasidic Jewish community after an unspoken tragedy reluctantly takes on a one-night gig as a “shomer”, one who stays awake all night in a vigil over the body of a recently deceased Holocaust survivor, only to discover that the spirits are restless indeed.

As someone who has always had a certain degree of unease around dead bodies, this movie easily got under my skin and had me quite tense for the full ninety minutes. It is a simple premise set almost entirely in one location, yet I was never bored. I really never wanted to take my eyes off the screen for fear of missing something hidden in the shadows. The scares range from subtle to big, and the lead does a great performance for what must have been a harrowing and emotional shoot, appearing in nearly every shot. It was truly impressive watching this character slowly unravel bit by bit at the same time we learn more about what is happening, and what has happened in his past, and that of the deceased.

Despite the very many horror films that exploit elements of Catholicism, Jewish themes have been largely unexplored, aside from silent classic Der Golem. Perhaps the Holocaust itself was horror enough. The concept of a lone overnight vigil over a dead body is an inherently creepy one, and it is hard to imagine a film doing it better than this one. Not only does this film cover refreshingly unfamiliar territory, it is not afraid to be spiritual and even life-affirming in the face of the worst things imaginable. How many other horror films can say that?

4 out of 5 stars.

Bob's October 2021 Horror Movie List
    *FTV denotes first-time viewings
    1. The Conjuring 3: The Devil Made Me Do It 3/5 (FTV)
    2. Possession (1981) 4/5 (FTV)
    3. The Endless 4/5 (FTV)
    4. Dead & Buried 4/5 (FTV)
    5. The Blob (1988) 4/5 (FTV)
    6. The New York Ripper 3/5 (FTV)
    7. The Day of the Beast 3/5 (FTV)
    8. Bad Ronald 3/5 (FTV)
    9. A Quiet Place Part II 2/5 (FTV)
    10. Popcorn 3/5
    11. The Vigil (2019) 4/5 (FTV)

KurbenFlakeNoirGNTLGNTHedda Gablercat
  • Kurben said:

3. Escape Room (2019)
    5. Vampires (1998)
    6. The Blob (1988)
    7. The Turning (2020)
    9. Boar (2017)
    11. Les Affamés (2017)
    12. Demoni (1985)
    13. Repulsion (1965)
    This is part of Polanskis' "Apartment Trilogy."  Repulsion, Rosemary's Baby and The Tenant.  I've seen all 3 and my favorite is still Rosemary's Baby.
    All three great movies! Just proof that taste is like our asses, split.
    NotaroFlakeNoirGNTLGNTHedda Gablerfushingfeefcat
  • Kurben said:
    Kurben said:

3. Escape Room (2019)
    5. Vampires (1998)
    6. The Blob (1988)
    7. The Turning (2020)
    9. Boar (2017)
    11. Les Affamés (2017)
    12. Demoni (1985)
    13. Repulsion (1965)
    All three great movies! Just proof that taste is like our asses, split.
    I'm sorry, this just about made me spit out my coffee!🤣🤣🤣
    KurbenNotaroGNTLGNTHedda Gablerfushingfeefcat
  • Kurbens Horror Marathon list 2021

3. Escape Room (2019)
    5. Vampires (1998)
    6. The Blob (1988)
    7. The Turning (2020)
    9. Boar (2017)
    11. Les Affamés (2017)
    12. Demoni (1985)
    13. Repulsion (1965)
    14. Harpoon (2019)
    I dont know about this one. Acting wasn't great.  friends stuck on a boat in the middle of the ocean with very little food or water. Soon we're down to the obvious in these kind of movies. A twist at the end but no, this didn't do it for me. 2/5
    FlakeNoirNotaroGNTLGNTHedda Gablerfushingfeefcat
  • edited October 2021
    World War Z (2013 Netflix)

"A U.N employee races against time and fate as he travels the world trying to stop the spread of a deadly zombie pandemic."

Probably the 3rd or 4th viewing for me, it's a good one.
    This time was different though. Watching while living in an actual pandemic is what made this movie a true horror. 

* = first time viewing 

1) Greta* (2018 Netflix)
    14) World War Z (2013 Netflix)
    NotaroKurbenGNTLGNTHedda Gablerfushingfeefcat
  • The Vault of Horror* (1973 YouTube)

This was great! Everything you said it would be Deejers, thanks for the heads up.

* = first time viewing 

1) Greta* (2018 Netflix)
    15) The Vault of Horror * (1973 Netflix)
    NotaroGNTLGNTHedda Gablerfushingfeefcat
  • 5,-The Silence(2019 Netflix)-When the world is under attack from creatures who hunt their human prey by sound, a teenager who lost her hearing at 13, and her family, seek safety in a remote refuge. However, they discover a cult who are eager to exploit her heightened senses.  Yep, it's a blatant rip-off of  A Quiet Place et al, but I haven't seen those.  I know enough about them though to recognize a pretty much direct plot lift.  Don't care.  It has Stanley Tucci and John Corbett. Nuff said.  The creature work is well done and there is an abundance of dark humor.  I liked it, and felt it was 90 minutes pleasantly spent.

The Silence  Netflix Official Site

1. Hell Fest
    2. In the Tall Grass
    3. #Alive
    4. Ghosts of War
    5. The Silence
    Hedda GablerfushingfeefFlakeNoircat
  • edited October 2021
    Rewatched, The Witch 

A farmer and his family are ejectet from their community after a dispute and move close to a forest. Tragedy befalls when their newborn son disappears, but it is just the beginning of their woes. 

I loved this, it's set in the 1600's, it has a deliberately slow pace and it is extremely creepy, very unnerving, excellent performances from all involved. (Blu Ray viewing) 

2021 Movie Marathon List

01. Halloween 2
    02. The Final Girls 
    03. The Haunting
    04. I, Desire 
    05. The Hole In The Ground
    06. Kolchak :The Night Stalker
    07. The Ripper
    08. Dr. Terror's House Of Horrors 
    09. Kolchak: The Night Strangler 
    10. Superstition 
    11. Halloween 3:Season Of The Witch
    12. Hell Night
    13. The Witch 
    fushingfeefFlakeNoircatGNTLGNTHedda Gabler
  • 12. Beyond the Door (a.k.a. The Devil Within Her) (FTV)

A woman is pregnant with what might be the spawn of Satan, and then must fend off her own spiritual possession.

This 1974 Italian-made film unapologetically combines the plots of Rosemary’s Baby and The Exorcist, sometimes shamelessly recreating exact scenes: pea soup vomit and 180-degree head spins? Check. In fact, the film had tried to obtain the film rights to the William Peter Blatty novel, only to find that the rights had already been sold. No matter, the film was made anyway and release just two months after The Exorcist movie was a blockbuster hit. And lo and behold, Beyond The Door was a hit, making back many times its original budget.

But is it any good? Well no, not really. Characters spend a lot of time just walking alone aimlessly around the streets of San Francisco, the family features two of the most awful children characters I’ve ever seen on film, there’s a pointless wraparound story and “twist” that serves no purpose, and there’s a bizarre musical interlude featuring a man playing a flute with his nostril (this goes on for a full two and a half minutes)! And none of us needed to see the mother giving her son a protracted mouth kiss—I don’t care if her character was possessed, that’s just plain wrong.

It’s a shame because there are a few things done well here. We get an able performance by none other Nanny & The Professor’s Nanny, Juliet Mills. Seeing her shout obscenities while possessed is a bit of a shock, and she fearlessly tackles the role. There’s a very effective scene in the children’s room involving toys coming to life that predates Poltergeist (and Toy Story, for that matter). And some of the possession effects are done very well, the head-spinning in particular is really creepy. But overall, the cons outweighed the pros, forcing me to rate this one below average.

2 out of 5 stars.

Bob's October 2021 Horror Movie List
    *FTV denotes first-time viewings
    1. The Conjuring 3: The Devil Made Me Do It 3/5 (FTV)
    2. Possession (1981) 4/5 (FTV)
    3. The Endless 4/5 (FTV)
    4. Dead & Buried 4/5 (FTV)
    5. The Blob (1988) 4/5 (FTV)
    6. The New York Ripper 3/5 (FTV)
    7. The Day of the Beast 3/5 (FTV)
    8. Bad Ronald 3/5 (FTV)
    9. A Quiet Place Part II 2/5 (FTV)
    10. Popcorn 3/5
    11. The Vigil (2019) 4/5 (FTV)
    12. Beyond the Door (aka The Devil Within Her) 2/5 (FTV)

FlakeNoircatGNTLGNTHedda Gabler
  • edited October 2021
    I watched about 10 minutes of A Nightmare on Elm Street*, couldn't take the throat slash in the diner, so watched the following instead.  (yes, it's also full of slashing but somehow it was different🤔)

The Limehouse Golem* (2016 Netflix)

"In Victorian London, a Scotland Yard inspector hunts down the sadistic killer behind a series of gory, Jack the Ripper-like Murders."

I thought this was excellent, terrific performances from everyone. The story pulled me in and as long as I was able to get my hands to my eyes in time to avoid the cutting and slashing, I was fine.
    Highly recommended. 

* = first time viewing 

1) Greta* (2018 Netflix)
    15) The Vault of Horror * (1973 Netflix)
    16) The Limehouse Golem* (2016 Netflix)

NotarocatKurbenGNTLGNTHedda Gablerfushingfeef