Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

2021 October Horror Movie Marathon!

Comments

• ....just call me GNT Ebert.....

Geek Bits Roger Ebert Quotes From the 50 Greatest Sci-Fi Films of All Time  amp More Links - The Geek Twins
    NotaroKurbenfushingfeefFlakeNoirHedda Gabler
  • 16. Trick ‘r Treat (guest reviewer’s first viewing)

Since I have watched (and reviewed) this movie several times in the past, I thought it would be fun to have my 16-year-old daughter Jillian watch this movie for the first time and review it here. Take it away, Jillian!

“Trick ‘r Treat is a fun horror movie with interweaving stories that all take place on the same Halloween night and are connected by the character Sam.

"Overall, I found the movie to be a lot of fun, and I particularly enjoyed the focus on Halloween, or Samhain, traditions. I think that the strongest parts of the film were the parts that focused on children because this film actually allowed the kids to be like actual people who were capable of cruelty and harm, which tied into Sam’s childish character really well.

"If I had to pick out the best story from the movie it would have to be either the story with the principal, just because it was really funny, or the story with the kids at the rock quarry because it was the most emotionally impactful. The only story in the movie that I wasn’t a big fan of was the part with the girls going to the party because I just felt like it didn’t have much of an emotional impact, it felt oddly disjointed from the other stories, and the effects, which I’m pretty sure were CGI, just felt really weird. In general, I really like the movie and I’d give it four stars.”

4 out of 5 stars.

Bob's October 2021 Horror Movie List
    *FTV denotes first-time viewings
    1. The Conjuring 3: The Devil Made Me Do It 3/5 (FTV)
    2. Possession (1981) 4/5 (FTV)
    3. The Endless 4/5 (FTV)
    4. Dead & Buried 4/5 (FTV)
    5. The Blob (1988) 4/5 (FTV)
    6. The New York Ripper 3/5 (FTV)
    7. The Day of the Beast 3/5 (FTV)
    8. Bad Ronald 3/5 (FTV)
    9. A Quiet Place Part II 2/5 (FTV)
    10. Popcorn 3/5
    11. The Vigil (2019) 4/5 (FTV)
    12. Beyond the Door (aka The Devil Within Her) 2/5 (FTV)
    13. The Mortuary Collection 3/5 (FTV)
    14. The Borrower 2/5 (FTV)
    15. Cemetery of Terror 4/5 (FTV)
    16. Trick ‘r Treat 4/5

NotaroFlakeNoirGNTLGNTHedda Gabler
  • Great job, Jillian! (And 16 now... 😳)
    NotaroKurbenGNTLGNTfushingfeefHedda Gabler
  • Count Dracula* (1977 Amazon Prime)

"In the year 1890 Jonathan Harker, a young solicitor, travels to Transylvania to deliver the deeds of a London house to its new owner, Count Dracula. In doing so, he begins a journey that becomes the stuff of nightmares. This eerie, erotic adaptation of Bram Stoker's classic tale of horror, desire and the undead was nominated for three Baftas in its year of transmission."

Yes, it was my first viewing of this classic and I absolutely loved it! There were some standouts for me. Obviously the Count (Louis Jourdan) was brilliant. But I also loved Renfield, (Jack Shepherd) he did a great job. (and had beautiful hands)
    Frank Finlay as Van Helsing was also excellent.
    I thought Lucy (Susan Penhaligon) was far more convincing alive, than dead. :D And Quincy (Richard Barnes) really took some getting used to. 
    In all it was brilliant storytelling and I'm so glad I got to see it. 

Flakes 2021 BVMB Horror Movie Thing:
    * = first time viewing 

1) Greta* (2018 Netflix)
    2) No One Gets Out Alive* (2021 Netflix)
    3) The Night Flier* (1997 YouTube)
    4) In the Tall Grass* (2019 Netflix)
    5) Sweet River* (2020 Netflix)
    6) The Chestnut Man* (2021 TV Series Netflix)
    7) The Hole in the Ground * (2019 Netflix)
    8) The Ritual* (2018 Netflix)
    9) Fractured* (2019 Netflix)
    10) Dr. Terror's House of Horrors* (1965 YouTube)
    11) Friday the Munting 13th* (1980 Netflix)
    12) Curon* (2020 TV Series Netflix)
    13) The House that Dripped Blood* (1971 YouTube)
    14) World War Z (2013 Netflix)
    15) The Vault of Horror * (1973 Netflix)
    16) The Limehouse Golem* (2016 Netflix)
    17) The Cave* (2005 Netflix)
    18) The Silence * (2019 Netflix)
    19) Daybreakers* (2010 Amazon Prime)
    20) When a Stranger Calls Back * (1993 Amazon Prime)
    21) Count Dracula* (1977 Amazon Prime)
    NotaroGNTLGNTfushingfeefHedda Gabler
  • FlakeNoir said:
    Count Dracula* (1977 Amazon Prime)

"In the year 1890 Jonathan Harker, a young solicitor, travels to Transylvania to deliver the deeds of a London house to its new owner, Count Dracula. In doing so, he begins a journey that becomes the stuff of nightmares. This eerie, erotic adaptation of Bram Stoker's classic tale of horror, desire and the undead was nominated for three Baftas in its year of transmission."

Yes, it was my first viewing of this classic and I absolutely loved it! There were some standouts for me. Obviously the Count (Louis Jourdan) was brilliant. But I also loved Renfield, (Jack Shepherd) he did a great job. (and had beautiful hands)
    Frank Finlay as Van Helsing was also excellent.
    I thought Lucy (Susan Penhaligon) was far more convincing alive, than dead. :D And Quincy (Richard Barnes) really took some getting used to. 
    In all it was brilliant storytelling and I'm so glad I got to see it. 

* = first time viewing 

1) Greta* (2018 Netflix)
    Excellent Flakes, it's my favourite adaptation of the Stoker novel. 
    FlakeNoirGNTLGNTfushingfeefHedda Gabler
  • edited October 2021
    Stalking Laura* (1993 Amazon Prime)

"Laura Black begins her promising career in Silicon Valley during the 80's. She attracts the attention of a deranged coworker named Richard Farley, whose obsession with her soon becomes deadly."

I did not know this was based on a true story until I had started it.  :'(
    Awful, truly awful... and so many missed opportunities to prevent it from happening. Much has changed because of this case.

* = first time viewing 

1) Greta* (2018 Netflix)
    22) Stalking Laura* (1993 Amazon Prime)
    NotaroGNTLGNTfushingfeefHedda Gabler
  • 17. 976-EVIL (FTV)

Bullied teen calls a Satanic “horror-scope” hotline & summons the powers of the Devil, somehow.

This 1988 film is of some interest for several reasons: it was directed by Robert Englund (aka Freddy Kreuger), it stars Stephen Geoffreys (“Evil Ed” of Fright Night) as the nerdy character Hoax, and features special effects and makeup by Kevin Yeager (Child’s Play). The movie does a good job of establishing interesting characters (although regrettably, the main character Spike is probably the least compelling), with a fun performance from Sandy Dennis (Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf) as Hoax’s televangelist-obsessed mom.

It’s interesting to see when Hoax’s hand grows long claws on just one hand, as Robert Englund was either subconsciously channeling Freddy’s blade fingers, or doing this with a wink. Hoax's slow transformation is somewhat reminiscent of The Fly, although with a lower budget. Speaking of low budgets, the locations are very claustrophobic and feel more like sets than actual locations. At times we’re not really sure who this movie is about, it feels like it wants to be about the nerdy Hoax kid, but sometimes it seems like it’s supposed to be about the more conventional rebel Spike. And the movie feels too slow much of the time, although things keep happening, they just aren’t happening fast enough (and I watched the shorter theatrical cut).

Still, for fans of 80’s make-up effects horror movies, and fans of the 80’s paranoia about Satan (who was apparently just one toll phone call away all this time), you should have a good time.

3 out of 5 stars.

3. The Endless 4/5 (FTV)
    8. Bad Ronald 3/5 (FTV)
    10. Popcorn 3/5
    16. Trick ‘r Treat 4/5
    17. 976-EVIL 3/5 (FTV)

FlakeNoirGNTLGNTHedda Gabler
  • 18. Halloween Kills (FTV)

Direct sequel to 2018’s Halloween has Michael Meyers continuing his rampage, but this time the whole town of Haddonfield has formed a vigilante mob against him.

I enjoyed the 2018 version of Halloween but was concerned we’d just see more of the same in this sequel. After all, this is the 12th installment of this franchise, so it’s hard to keep things fresh without straying too far from the things that made the original movie great. I’m pleased to say this movie builds on those positive attributes and also escalates everything: the violence, the gore and the body count are higher than any previous Halloween film I can recall.

There are many good suspenseful set pieces and action sequences, and this Michael seems to have a more immediate brutal physicality, as we get to see quite a bit of hand-to-hand combat up close. At the same time they have kept the traits that make him Michael: his assured slow walk, his fondness for repeated stabbing, and of course that sinister head tilt he does, which is something of a trademark. The movie also covers some things that happened that original night back in 1978 in a way that sheds more light on side characters, while being respectful of the original and not “retconning” any sacred cows. In addition, the movie shows a bit more awareness (if not outright critique) for the plight of mental institution patients trying to cope with the real world again, and how we treat them—although Michael hasn’t exactly set the best example, has he?

Some of the dialog is a bit repetitive: how many times must Laurie state that only she can stop him, and how many times are we told that the evil must be stopped tonight? Yeah, we get it. New characters are introduced for some light comic relief, with varying degrees of success, but the filmmakers do a pretty good job in balancing a large cast while keeping the story moving forward. Overall, this was a well-made, highly entertaining Halloween film whose scope, action, suspense, and yes, kill count easily earns it a place in the uppermost tier of the franchise. Can’t wait to watch it again!

4 out of 5 stars.

3. The Endless 4/5 (FTV)
    8. Bad Ronald 3/5 (FTV)
    10. Popcorn 3/5
    16. Trick ‘r Treat 4/5
    17. 976-EVIL 3/5 (FTV)
    18. Halloween Kills 4/5 (FTV)

FlakeNoirGNTLGNTKurbenHedda Gabler
  • ...and Jamie Lee is one of the sexiest Scream Queens of all time....JMO, o'coss....

Jamie Lee Curtis believes Halloween franchise could go on and on  People   tulsaworldcom
    KurbenFlakeNoirfushingfeefHedda Gabler
  • Watched Halloween Kills over the weekend too,

Direct continuation from 2018's reboot.

Michael Myers continues his night of carnage, slaughtering anyone who gets in his way. 

I enjoyed this, it was way better than the last one. Plenty of nods to the original, with cameos from some of the original cast. They have seriously upped the ante here, the body count is huge and its incredibly violent, it also brings a touch of the supernatural into play. (Cinema viewing) (Also available on 
    Peacock streaming service) 

2021 Movie Marathon List

01. Halloween 2
    02. The Final Girls 
    03. The Haunting
    04. I, Desire 
    05. The Hole In The Ground
    06. Kolchak :The Night Stalker
    07. The Ripper
    08. Dr. Terror's House Of Horrors 
    09. Kolchak: The Night Strangler 
    10. Superstition 
    11. Halloween 3:Season Of The Witch
    12. Hell Night
    13. The Witch
    14. The Lodger
    15. Halloween Kills
    KurbenFlakeNoirfushingfeefGNTLGNTHedda Gabler
  • 19. Dr. Cyclops (FTV)

Mad scientist wants to shrink humanity to reduce our impact to the environment, running a test on fellow scientists he has lured to a remote location, who must then escape the doctor and a hostile jungle.

This 1940 movie has the distinction of being the first Universal horror film done in full three-strip Technicolor, and was produced by King Kong’s Merian C. Cooper. Dr. Cyclops is also the obvious inspiration for 70’s Sid and Marty Krofft television production, “Dr. Shrinker”. The movie was nominated for the Academy Award for Best Visual Effects, with most of the effects being done with rear projections, mattes, and scaled up props and sets.

Despite the pedigree, the film is pretty lousy. The dialog is absolutely dreadful, at times laughably so. For some reason no one uses word contractions (such as “don’t” “won’t” “didn’t”, it’s all “do not” “will not” and “did not”), so everyone sounds stiffly formal even in extreme circumstances. This pretty much sinks the whole movie and makes it hard to take anything seriously, I kept imagining the Mystery Science Theater 3000 guys making snarky retorts. The shrunken people use random scraps of cloth to cover their nakedness, but they all look like they are wearing togas and diapers, and their clothing randomly changes color mid-movie with no explanation. And the film drags, at only 77 minutes the movie still feels way too long.

The effects aren’t bad, a product of their times, but the movie suffers from such a lack of imagination in story and circumstances, it feels like a big missed opportunity. Aside from an attack by a house cat, nearly all the perils the shrunken people face would have been dangerous even if they were normal sized people: a large tree falling, a crocodile, a leopard, a bear, and giant open pit. Even the title feels forced, the doctor is not a cyclops and he has two eyes, it is only at the last minute one of his lenses breaks and he says he is a cyclops...okay. Don’t be fooled by the cool poster, sometimes an oldie but a goodie is just old and dull.

2 out of 5 stars.

3. The Endless 4/5 (FTV)
    8. Bad Ronald 3/5 (FTV)
    10. Popcorn 3/5
    16. Trick ‘r Treat 4/5
    17. 976-EVIL 3/5 (FTV)
    19. Dr. Cyclops 2/5 (FTV)

• Kurbens Horror Marathon list 2021

1. Fear Streat part 1 1994 (2021)
    2. Fear Street part 2 1978  (2021)
    3. Escape Room (2019)
    4. Fear Street part 3 1666 (2021)
    5. Vampires (1998)
    6. The Blob (1988)
    7. The Turning (2020)
    8. The Final Girls (2015)
    9. Boar (2017)
    10. The Dead Don't Die (2019)
    11. Les Affamés (2017)
    12. Demoni (1985)
    13. Repulsion (1965)
    14. Harpoon (2019)
    15. The Limehouse Golem (2016)
    16. The Creature Of The Black Lagoon (1954)
    17. Cat People (1943)
    18. Ghosts Of War (2020)
    19. Lake Placid vs Anaconda (2015)
    20. Village of The Damned (1960)
    a Sf/Horror flick built upon the excellent book The Midwich Cuckoos by John Wyndham. Suddenly one day every living creature in the little village of Midwich faints. When they wake they find that every woman of childbearing age is pregnant. Happily the children are perfect, healthy and without any blemish. But what are they? And what do they want? For they turnn out to be different not only from children but from humans too in an important aspect. George Sanders and Barbara Shelley play the leads. you can understand the emotional trauma here, i know he is a bit different but hes my baby. Well worth a watch even if the book is better. 3,5/5

3. Escape Room (2019)
    5. Vampires (1998)
    6. The Blob (1988)
    7. The Turning (2020)
    9. Boar (2017)
    11. Les Affamés (2017)
    12. Demoni (1985)
    13. Repulsion (1965)
    14. Harpoon (2019)
    17. Cat People (1943)
    18. Ghosts Of War (2020)
    21. Halloween (2018)
    Those Rob Zombie Halloween movies nearly killed this franchise for me. They were NOT good. Now another director makes his version taking place 40 years after the original in 1978. This is better, and how could it not be with the uncomparable Jamie Lee Curtis in the lead. Michael Myers escapes from the asylum where he has been locked up and the fun begins. And since i want to watch the sequel to this, Halloween Kills, so i wanted to see this first. And i had nearly forgotten the effect that music score has. Surely the most effective music score in a horror movie ever. Well done John Carpenter!! All in all it works even if its not comparable to Carpenters original but then very few horror movies are. 4/5
  • 20. The Night House (FTV)

A woman seeks answers at the lonely lakeside home where her husband unexpectedly committed suicide, finding out her husband had a dark secret.

Another great film by David Bruckner who directed 2017’s The Ritual. This is how you do a horror movie right. I don’t want to overhype this one, but this is the kind of under-the-radar find that I hope to discover every year (but don’t always) when doing this marathon. I’ll try my best to keep this spoiler free, but The Night House combines familiar ghost story, haunted house, and Hitchcockian thriller tropes, but does it in a way that still feels fresh and highly effective. Not relying on a novel elevator pitch high concept, the movie just works well, it’s perhaps the movie that 2000’s What Lies Beneath had hoped it would be. But where that higher profile, higher budget film often felt forced and fell a bit short, The Night House hits it out the park.

This movie ticks all the boxes: a compelling story, effective scares, an amazing performance by lead actress Rebecca Hall, and a satisfying resolution to its central mystery. Just when I thought things were going to spin out of control, they reeled it back in and suddenly it all made sense, and even had an element of cosmic horror to it. This is also a movie that made innovative use of negative space in a way I’d never seen done in a horror film—it wasn’t just a showy visual stunt, it made thematic sense given the looming absence of the dead husband.

Getting back to that performance by Rebecca Hall, I can’t praise her enough. The main character’s feelings and reactions felt authentic, she wasn’t just a saintly mourner or victim, but she wasn’t an unrealistic superwoman either, she just felt like a real person. Her anger at her husband’s demise was constantly simmering under the surface, but she also had a real vulnerability and gave a fearless performance in what had to be an emotionally difficult movie to make.

I don’t hand these out often after first viewings, but I didn’t have to think hard about this film deserving my highest rating.

5 out of 5 stars.

3. The Endless 4/5 (FTV)
    8. Bad Ronald 3/5 (FTV)
    10. Popcorn 3/5
    16. Trick ‘r Treat 4/5
    17. 976-EVIL 3/5 (FTV)
    20. The Night House 5/5 (FTV)

NotaroFlakeNoirGNTLGNTKurbenHedda Gabler
  • Rewatched, Legend Of The Werewolf.

A child is raised by wolves after they kill his parents, he is befriended and taken in by a travelling sideshow, however after he attacks one of his companions he flees to Paris but his wolf instincts have been awakened.....

Love this one, equally as good as Hammer's Curse Of The Werewolf.

Full movie.. 

2021 Movie Marathon List

01. Halloween 2
    02. The Final Girls 
    03. The Haunting
    04. I, Desire 
    05. The Hole In The Ground
    06. Kolchak :The Night Stalker
    07. The Ripper
    08. Dr. Terror's House Of Horrors 
    09. Kolchak: The Night Strangler 
    10. Superstition 
    11. Halloween 3:Season Of The Witch
    12. Hell Night
    13. The Witch
    14. The Lodger
    15. Halloween Kills
    16. Legend Of The Werewolf 
  • 21. Old (FTV)

Families vacationing at a resort become trapped at a remote beach that causes their bodies to age very quickly. Can they escape before they all die of old age?

M. Night Shyamalan has built a movie career around the concept of “always expect the unexpected”. While this movie is something of a mixed bag, I think critics are being overly harsh and it’s become fashionable to pick on this director. That’s probably because he makes it so easy, there’s plenty to pick apart in most of his movies. The dialog is cringe-worthy and unnatural, things would be much better if Mr. Night hired a co-writer to give those lines a once-over. The characters are broad cliches who make some pretty fantastical leaps of logic at times, and really bad decisions at other times. Of course, there’s a big twist (or at least an answer) waiting at the end of it all that may not satisfy everyone, but it’s not really a spoiler to say there’s a twist at the end of a Shyamalan movie, and it’s not fair to say one’s enjoyment of the whole movie depends on the effectiveness of said twist.

But when it works best, it’s the overall high concept that captures the imagination and drives the story forward. This movie functions as a combination of Twilight Zone tale and claustrophobic character study. Set on a geographically isolated beach, there seems to be no easy escape, so we get to see the characters unravel as the urgency of their situation becomes more desperate. The horror genre has lots of examples of isolation horror, and the usual enemy is starvation, air, or exposure to the elements. Not so here, the enemy is time, or at least a strange kind of hypermetabolism. Think of Hitchcock’s Lifeboat, but if everyone’s aging was accelerating.

Check your brain at the door and watch the fireworks.

3 out of 5 stars.

3. The Endless 4/5 (FTV)
    8. Bad Ronald 3/5 (FTV)
    10. Popcorn 3/5
    16. Trick ‘r Treat 4/5
    17. 976-EVIL 3/5 (FTV)
    21. Old 3/5 (FTV)

KurbenFlakeNoirGNTLGNTHedda Gabler
  • Mind Games* (2001 Amazon Prime)

"A former nun turned clinical profiler is called in to investigate the horrific, ritualised murders of two middle aged women."

Starring Fiona Shaw whom I really liked in Killing Eve. This doesn't really fit into the horror category as such, but as it was in the horror section, I'm claiming it.
    It's more of a psychological drama/thriller, quite a slow burn but I enjoyed it.

* = first time viewing 

1) Greta* (2018 Netflix)
    22) Stalking Laura* (1993 Amazon Prime)
    23) Mind Games * (2001 Amazon Prime)
    NotaroGNTLGNTfushingfeef
  • ....I do like the poster for Old.....sadly, that sometimes is the best part of a movie....
    Hedda GablerFlakeNoirfushingfeef
  • edited October 2021
    21. Old (FTV)

Families vacationing at a resort become trapped at a remote beach that causes their bodies to age very quickly. Can they escape before they all die of old age?

M. Night Shyamalan has built a movie career around the concept of “always expect the unexpected”. While this movie is something of a mixed bag, I think critics are being overly harsh and it’s become fashionable to pick on this director. That’s probably because he makes it so easy, there’s plenty to pick apart in most of his movies. The dialog is cringe-worthy and unnatural, things would be much better if Mr. Night hired a co-writer to give those lines a once-over. The characters are broad cliches who make some pretty fantastical leaps of logic at times, and really bad decisions at other times. Of course, there’s a big twist (or at least an answer) waiting at the end of it all that may not satisfy everyone, but it’s not really a spoiler to say there’s a twist at the end of a Shyamalan movie, and it’s not fair to say one’s enjoyment of the whole movie depends on the effectiveness of said twist.

But when it works best, it’s the overall high concept that captures the imagination and drives the story forward. This movie functions as a combination of Twilight Zone tale and claustrophobic character study. Set on a geographically isolated beach, there seems to be no easy escape, so we get to see the characters unravel as the urgency of their situation becomes more desperate. The horror genre has lots of examples of isolation horror, and the usual enemy is starvation, air, or exposure to the elements. Not so here, the enemy is time, or at least a strange kind of hypermetabolism. Think of Hitchcock’s Lifeboat, but if everyone’s aging was accelerating.

Check your brain at the door and watch the fireworks.

3 out of 5 stars.

3. The Endless 4/5 (FTV)
    8. Bad Ronald 3/5 (FTV)
    10. Popcorn 3/5
    16. Trick ‘r Treat 4/5
    17. 976-EVIL 3/5 (FTV)
    21. Old 3/5 (FTV)

I love the movie poster for this . 
    GNTLGNTFlakeNoirfushingfeef
  • edited October 2021
    GNTLGNT said:
    ....I do like the poster for Old.....sadly, that sometimes is the best part of a movie....
    Shine! It’s a great marketing image . I’d love to have it. 
    GNTLGNTFlakeNoirfushingfeef

3. Escape Room (2019)
    5. Vampires (1998)
    6. The Blob (1988)
    7. The Turning (2020)
    9. Boar (2017)
    11. Les Affamés (2017)
    12. Demoni (1985)
    13. Repulsion (1965)
    14. Harpoon (2019)
    17. Cat People (1943)
    18. Ghosts Of War (2020)
    21. Halloween (2018)
    22. The Curse Of The Werewolf (1961)
    Oliver Reeds first starring role where he is a good werewolf. This is a Hammer movie but not one of the better. It is, i think, a bit to unfocused in its storytelling for that. The werewolf is good but there is at least one subplot too many.  2,5/5
    GNTLGNTNotaroFlakeNoir