Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

2021 October Horror Movie Marathon!

Comments

• FlakeNoir said:
    Flakes 2021 BVMB Horror Movie Marathon (marathon might be overkill)

1) Greta* (2018)

"A young woman befriends a lonely widow who's harboring a dark and deadly agenda toward her."

It was okay, not great but not terrible, a bit predictable.
    I didn't girly-squeal/cover my mouth with my hands or bust out the "shocked eyes" at any point... so, not very scary.

That’s an intriguing movie poster.
    FlakeNoirNotaroKurbenGNTLGNTfushingfeefcatdoyoulove19
  •  rundown Cleveland boarding house

..being an Ohioan, I know what type of horror that is in reality...c'mon!....the river once caught fire!!.....
    NotaroFlakeNoirHedda Gablerfushingfeefcatdoyoulove19
  • Kurbens Horror Movie List 2021

1. Fear Streat part 1 1994 (2021)
    2. Fear Street part 2 1978  (2021)
    3. Escape Room (2019)
    4. Fear Street part 3 1666 (2021)
    The ending of the filmtrilogy, at least this storyline. I liked the twist at the end even if it wasn't totally unexpected. The origin of all the woes lies in the story of a witch whose story we get together with the rather gamechanging implications it has on our heroes. I liked it. even if some of its message is clearly directed to our time and not the 17,th century. Well done, not any news but well done. 4/5 for the trilogy as a whole. Then i just have to say that i tried to watch a shark movie, i have a weakness for shark movies, they can be rather bad but i go on watching. But here i reached my limit. Jurassic Shark 2: The Aquaapocalypse. The story was total crap, the acting beyond crap and the direction even worse. I couldn't finish it so wont count it just wanted to warn any shark movie fans out there.....
    NotaroFlakeNoirHedda GablerfushingfeefGNTLGNTcat
  • edited October 2021
    3. The Endless (FTV)

Two brothers who fled from a UFO “death cult” at a young age return to the site as adults and find that the cult is not only still going strong, but they may actually have been right all along…or are they?

Released in 2017 to critical accolades but not much popular press attention, The Endless is smart, intriguing, at times unsettling, and a bit of a slow burn. It reveals its mysteries over time, so we’re put in the place of the two leads, one of who remembers his old cult days with nostalgia, the other with suspicion. The movie poses a question: do you choose to live in the place where you’re surrounded by people who love you, where special things happen and you feel good about yourself, even if there’s an undercurrent of secrecy and menace, or do you return to the “ordinary” world where you’ve been failing for the past 10 years?

And there’s definitely something strange going on in this place: a magician who’s not particularly good, except when he occasionally does the impossible, a weird game of one man tug-of-war where one end the rope ascends into the dark night sky, and people who seem to disappear and reappear at seemingly random locations. And not all the cult members are happy campers, or even there by their own will. By the time the brothers see what appears to be two moons in the sky, we wonder if it’s just a simple matter of them leaving any more, or if it’s even possible for them to return to the normal dull world the rest of us live in. If they don’t act soon, the choice may be beyond their control.

While this all sounds very heavy and intense, perhaps suggesting Midsommar/Wicker Man, it's very far from those two films. At its heart, The Endless is a buddy movie with a human and at times humorous touch. It’s a movie about finding ones place in the world, and the ties of having a brother. This keeps the more fantastical elements grounded in a reality that raise the stakes even more. We want these guys to make the right choices, and it keeps you in suspense right up to the end. This is cosmic, Lovecraftian horror with a much-needed human touch.

4 out of 5 stars.

Bob's October 2020 Horror Movie List
    *FTV denotes first-time viewings
    1. The Conjuring 3: The Devil Made Me Do It 3/5 (FTV)
    2. Possession (1981) 4/5 (FTV)
    3. The Endless 4/5 (FTV)

FlakeNoirKurbenHedda GablerGNTLGNTcatdoyoulove19
  • 4.  You Can't Kill Stephen King* --  2012 -- caught it on Roku

"A group of friends visit a lake where horror author Stephen King lives, and start getting killed off one at a time."

You Can39t Kill Stephen King - Wikipedia

Okay.  This was just horrible.  Horrible story. Horrible acting. 

UNTIL .... the last 30 minutes.  I don't know what shifted, but I embraced the silliness of it.  I had a few chuckles.  It is by no means good.  It's still horrible.  but the last 30 minutes made up for the first lifetime of minutes I'll never get back.  They meant it to be tongue in cheek, but it sure wasn't even remotely fun or funny at the start.  But yeah, I think it just wore me down at the end.  If you want something really mindless to watch, just no quality at all, this is the movie for you.  Until the last 30 minutes.  And then you too may chuckle here and there.

And Scott, if you read this.  If you want to see Stephen's kitchen, be vewy vewy quiet.

Dana's 2021 Movie Marathon list
    * indicates first time viewing

1. Malignant*
    2. Two Evil Eyes*
    3.  Midnight Mass*
    4.  You Can't Kill Stephen King*
    FlakeNoirGNTLGNTKurbenfushingfeefcatdoyoulove19
  • Rewatched....

Halloween 2

Michael Myers follows Jamie Leigh Curtis to the hospital and continues his night of carnage. Definitely one of the better sequels in the franchise. 

The Final Girls

A group of friends try to escape a fire in a cinema and after cutting the movie screen and stepping through they find themselves in the slasher movie they were watching. Great fun, kinda like a slasher Back To The Future. 

The Haunting 

A Doctor has a trio of patients at an old mansion to study the effects of insomnia. Sinister goings on ensue. Abysmal remake of the 1963 movie based on the Shirley Jackson novel. 

2021 Movie Marathon List

1. Halloween 2
    2. The Final Girls 
    3. The Haunting 
    Hedda GablerKurbenfushingfeefFlakeNoirGNTLGNTcatdoyoulove19
  • 4. Dead & Buried (FTV)

A new cop in a small coastal town investigates the recent rash of tourist murders in this 1981 hidden gem penned in part by Dan O’Bannon (Alien) with special effects by Stan Winston.

I’ll try not to spoil much here because part of the fun is not knowing what’s going on for the first 30 minutes or so as the body count piles up. It unfolds like a classic 80’s slasher but without an obvious poster boogeyman like Leatherface or Jason, which is probably one of the reasons this movie struggled to find an audience despite being pretty darn good and at times over-the-top awesome. The effects by Stan Winston are strategically spaced throughout the movie to maximize shock value, and there’s an especially impressive scene in a morgue where a woman’s face is reconstructed in time-lapse layers. Also of note is an excellently dark-humored performance by Wonka’s Grampa Joe/Chico And The Man actor Jack Albertson in what would be his last movie role, as the town mortician who fancies himself an artist.

Sure, not every sequence worked, like the clueless family whose first instinct after getting into a one-car accident is to break into an obviously abandoned dark house to “look for ice” for their child’s head injury, with the wife sending the husband alone into the basement to “check if someone is replacing a blown fuse down there”. That’s one of those scenes in 80’s horror movies that make you shout at the screen. But that part aside, the movie was quite effective and entertaining, and had the feel of a lost rated R Twilight Zone episode you might find in the back of your old VHS rental store. If you liked classics like “The Fog” and “Phantasm”, with a dash of “1,000 Maniacs”, then you’ll be right at home here. Oh, and a pre-Nightmare on Elm Street Freddy actor Robert Englund plays one of the local yokels!

4 out of 5 stars.

3. The Endless 4/5 (FTV)
    4. Dead & Buried 4/5 (FTV)

NotaroFlakeNoirHedda GablerGNTLGNTcat
  • edited October 2021
    5. Eraserhead* -- 1977 -- Criterion Channel.  

"Henry Spencer tries to survive his industrial environment, his angry girlfriend, and the unbearable screams of his newly born mutant child."

Amazoncom Eraserhead 24quotx36quot Movie Poster David Lynch - A Certified  Poster Office Print with Holographic Sequential Numbering for Authenticity  Posters amp Prints

(Because I took David Lynch's Masterclass) I watched this movie and I learned: 

Transcendental Meditation + David Lynch = I don't know what the f*ck I just sat through.  

I...uhm... well...

I saw it.

1. Malignant*
    2. Two Evil Eyes*
    3.  Midnight Mass*
    5.  Eraserhead*
    KurbenGNTLGNTfushingfeefFlakeNoircatdoyoulove19
  • Kurbens Horror Movie List 2021

1. Fear Streat part 1 1994 (2021)
    2. Fear Street part 2 1978  (2021)
    3. Escape Room (2019)
    4. Fear Street part 3 1666 (2021)
    5. Vampires (1998)
    This is a john Carpenter movie and he often delivers i find. Even if this isn't as good as his best (which is pretty hard to be when you have Assault On Precinct 13, Halloween, The Thing and Escape From New York on your list) It is quite good! It stars James Woods and Adam Baldwin as the Vampire hunters and Sheryl Lee as prostitute bitten by a vamp. But the one almost stealing the show for me was Thomas Ian Griffith as the Master Vampire. For some reason i hadn't seen this before which was a mistake. Well worth a watch. 4/5
    Hedda GablerfushingfeefNotaroFlakeNoirGNTLGNTcat
  • 5. The Blob (1988) (FTV)
    In this 80’s remake of the 50’s classic, a carnivorous blob from space runs amok on small town America, with only a rebellious teenager and cheerleader to save the day.

Arguably one of the best horror remakes, and unfairly a box office failure, I’m only getting around to seeing this one for the first time (I’ve been busy watching other movies)! This movie is just so fun and entertaining on every level that it’s hard not to watch this without a big dopey smile on your face. The 100% practical special effects are nothing short of incredible, especially considering this film was released less than five years before CGI effects became the norm. And the high degree of shocking gore is breathtaking, these aren’t just gimmicky creative kills that don't serve the plot. This is more along the lines of, dare I say, The Thing where there seem to be no limits: we’re just being shown what this monster can do.

The casting is also a lot of fun, not just in the performances themselves, but in retrospect, knowing what these actors did later in their careers. You have Entourage’s Johnny Drama (Kevin Dillon) in an epic mullet on a kick-ass motorcycle, a young Shawnee Smith (Saw franchise) as a heroic cheerleader, Jeffrey DeMunn (Dale from The Walking Dead), Donovan Leitch (son of “Mellow Yellow” Donovan), a young Erika Eleniak (girl who pops out of a cake in Under Seige), Jack Nance (Eraserhead, Twin Peaks), Paul McCrane (toxic waste melting man in Robocop), Bill Moseley (House of 1000 Corpses), among other familiar faces.

Sure to please almost everyone, The Blob is 80’s effects-driven horror done right.

4 out of 5 stars.

3. The Endless 4/5 (FTV)
    5. The Blob (1988) 4/5 (FTV)

KurbenNotaroFlakeNoirGNTLGNTcatHedda Gabler
  • 5. Eraserhead* -- 1977 -- Criterion Channel.  

"Henry Spencer tries to survive his industrial environment, his angry girlfriend, and the unbearable screams of his newly born mutant child."

Amazoncom Eraserhead 24quotx36quot Movie Poster David Lynch - A Certified  Poster Office Print with Holographic Sequential Numbering for Authenticity  Posters amp Prints

(Because I took David Lynch's Masterclass) I watched this movie and I learned: 

Transcendental Meditation + David Lynch = I don't know what the f*ck I just sat through.  

I...uhm... well...

I saw it.

1. Malignant*
    2. Two Evil Eyes*
    3.  Midnight Mass*
    5.  Eraserhead*
    That's a par for the course reaction to this movie!
    KurbenNotaroFlakeNoirHedda GablerGNTLGNTcat
  • The Night Flier (1997)

Probably needs no introduction to anybody here.

"A reporter is on the trail of a vampiric murderer who travels by plane."

It was good, very happy with the outcome, as Dees just about drove me mad, total a$$hole.

Flakes 2021 BVMB Horror Movie Thing:

1) Greta* (2018)
    2) No One Gets Out Alive* (2021)
    3) The Night Flier* (1997)

Hedda GablerGNTLGNTcatfushingfeef
  • The Invisable Man.
    FlakeNoirHedda GablerGNTLGNTcatfushingfeef
  • 6.  Edgar Allan Poe's Lighthouse Keeper* -- 2016 -- Roku 

"Marooned on a remote peninsula and haunted by frightening specters, a young man must confront the grotesque denizens of the night, or heed the Lighthouse Keeper's cryptic warning to, 'Always keep a light burning!'"

Lighthouse Keeper Movie Showtimes Review Songs Trailer Posters News amp  Videos  eTimes

I don't know.  It was okay.  Not the worst thing I've ever seen.  It had some great scenery, images.  But the acting was bad.  Story was decent enough.  I just wish it could've been executed better.

1. Malignant*
    2. Two Evil Eyes*
    3.  Midnight Mass*
    5.  Eraserhead*
    6. Edgar Allan Poe's Lighthouse Keeper*
    FlakeNoirNotaroGNTLGNTcatfushingfeef
  • In the Tall Grass* (2019)

"After hearing a boy's cry for help, a pregnant woman and her brother wade into a vast field of grass, only to discover there may be no way out."

This was pretty good, creepy and at times a little confusing.  I haven't read the story so had no idea where it was going.

Flakes 2021 BVMB Horror Movie Thing:
    * = first time viewing 

1) Greta* (2018)
    2) No One Gets Out Alive* (2021)
    3) The Night Flier* (1997)
    4) In the Tall Grass* (2019)
    NotaroKurbenGNTLGNTHedda Gablercatfushingfeef
  • .....In the Tall Grass, paired with The Lawnmower Man?......nah, nobody needs that.....
    Hedda Gablercatfushingfeef
  • Watched  I, Desire.

After a string of deaths a morgue attendant begins to suspect a vampire may be stalking the streets. This is a TV movie from 1982, it has a good cast most notably David Naughton and Brad Dourif. The problem it has is the weak script, it's pretty weak even for a TV movie. It's watchable but only just.

Full movie...

Rewatched The Hole In The Ground. A young mother moves to a rural area with her son,  she discovers a large sinkhole in the woods and shortly thereafter her son begins to act strangely...
    I liked this one, it has a nice creepy vibe going on throughout and has the creepiest kid since the Omen.

2021 Movie Marathon List

1. Halloween 2
    2. The Final Girls 
    3. The Haunting
    4. I, Desire 
    5. The Hole In The Ground
    catfushingfeefHedda GablerFlakeNoirGNTLGNT
  • I'm getting a late start...

1. Mother! 2017 ftv 

Jennifer Lawrence and Javier Bardem are a married couple. He is a poet, she spends her days restoring their house. 

I liked this up to the last 20-30 minutes. I thought it was weird but I was intrigued by the relationship the couple had.  After it was over I looked it up and read it was supposed to be an allegory and she was Mother Nature. He was God. The people who show up...Adam, Eve, Cain and Abel and the swarm of people were the rest of us mortal heathens. I should have never looked it up. I dislike being preached to in the name of art. I should have just left it alone and thought of it as weird. 
    fushingfeefHedda GablerFlakeNoirGNTLGNT
  • 6. The New York Ripper (FTV)

Italian giallo director Lucio Fulci gives us this seedy slasher filmed in early 80’s NYC where an unseen killer torments his female victims with a Donald Duck-like quack while stabbing them. Seriously!

This movie was slapped with the X rating and if it was seen at all, it was in censored form. However, everything is in accounted for with this release; Blue Underground has done a remarkable restoration of a film that some would argue didn’t need restored. This movie understandably received a lot of negative press for its graphic violence, uninhibited nudity and simulated sex, and what some critics deemed a misogynistic tone. But aside from the shock factors, this is a relatively straightforward horror thriller done well. Despite the ugly subject matter and settings, it’s done in a much more stylish way than films like The Toolbox Murders and Maniac which cover similar territory. If you like the hellishly grimy NYC movies from this era, you won't be disappointed.

There isn’t much here in way of characters to root for, and the overall tone is sleazy and voyeuristic, but gorehounds should be delighted. The camera does not look away when bad things are happening, in fact that's when they go for the close-up. And the gimmick of having the killer use a Donald Duck voice, while odd, is somehow disturbing on another level. And it all somehow makes sense in the end.

Not for the squeamish, The New York Ripper still has the power to shock while providing a fairly compelling mystery.

3 out of 5 stars.

3. The Endless 4/5 (FTV)
    5. The Blob (1988) 4/5 (FTV)
    6. The New York Ripper 3/5 (FTV)

Hedda GablercatFlakeNoirGNTLGNT
  • edited October 2021
    cat said:
    I'm getting a late start...

1. Mother! 2017 ftv 

Jennifer Lawrence and Javier Bardem are a married couple. He is a poet, she spends her days restoring their house. 

I liked this up to the last 20-30 minutes. I thought it was weird but I was intrigued by the relationship the couple had.  After it was over I looked it up and read it was supposed to be an allegory and she was Mother Nature. He was God. The people who show up...Adam, Eve, Cain and Abel and the swarm of people were the rest of us mortal heathens. I should have never looked it up. I dislike being preached to in the name of art. I should have just left it alone and thought of it as weird. 
    The thing I loved about Mother! was the growing chaos of the scenes and the fluidity of moving through them.  THey had to have been rehearsed extensively and filmed in one go.  Because starting and stopping all that action, all those people and props -- the continuity of that would've been a nightmare.  

As the scenes grew more populated, more dark and active -- it was fascinating to watch it all.  So much going on in every single room, unsettling and more disturbed.  

I would've loved to have been on set to watch how they filmed this. The directions that were given.  Just brilliantly filmed.  

The allegory, the messages don't bother me.  I find people's minds interesting and I like that they challenge me.
    catFlakeNoirGNTLGNTfushingfeef
  • edited October 2021
    7.  The Chestnut Man*-- 2021 -- Netflix

"At a grisly murder scene sits a figurine made of chestnuts. From this creepy clue, two detectives hunt a killer linked to a politician's missing child."

Is 39The Chestnut Man39 on Netflix in Canada Where to Watch the Series - New  On Netflix Canada

I think my list is going to be more series than movies.  The quality of TV is getting better while the quality of movies is poor.  And I especially love foreign entries.  

Good little drama.

1. Malignant*
    2. Two Evil Eyes*
    3.  Midnight Mass*
    5.  Eraserhead*
    6. Edgar Allan Poe's Lighthouse Keeper*
    7. The Chestnut Man*
    catFlakeNoirGNTLGNTfushingfeef