Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

2021 October Horror Movie Marathon!

Comments

• ....instead of playing Village Idiot exclusively....I actually WATCHED a couple!...:

1. Hell Fest* (on Netflix)
    ....this is a 2018 slasher flick about a traveling horror carnival, which of course is a perfect playground for a psychopathic killer known as "The Other"....meh, most of the film is shot in such low light that viewers would have benefitted from night-vision goggles....acting bad, retread plot....I rooted for the killer-who was the only interesting thing about the movie, in a Michael Myers "gonna stare at you through my mask in a terrifying manner" kind of way;;;
    2/5
    Is 39Hell Fest39 on Netflix Where to Watch the Movie - NewOnNetflixinfo

2. In the Tall Grass* (Netflix)
    ...2019 adaptation of Steve and Joe's novella....y'all know that-no re-hash needed...this movie is an absolute mindfcuk!!!....acting wasn't bad, especially the young'un that played Tobin....night scenes were again to dark to really make much out, that or I have progressive nyctalopia.....stuck to and yet didn't, the plot of the story....draw your own conclusions as to the meaning(s)...I just want to comment on some actual or perceived homages.....the "rock" gave off an N sort of vibe, plus I thought of it as The Dark Tower in microcosm of that grassy "universe"....made an old DJ connection to the Curtis Mayfield hit from Superfly, cuz ya know "Freddy's Dead".....and lastly, the tip of the tailfin to Christine in the moldering church's parking lot......
    2/5
    In the Tall Grass - 2019  Good movies Film Scary movies

The GNT's BVMB list thingy

1. Hell Fest
    2. In the Tall Grass
    NotaroKurbenfushingfeefFlakeNoirHedda Gablercat
  • Can i ask a favor of everyone? Can you post where you saw your movie— netflix, Hulu, amazon etc …

i’ve seen some movies i think might be worth a view but with so many formats, it would make it easier to know if it is available to me if you would say where you saw it. Thanks!
    I try. So far most of the ones i watched has been from Netflix. Boar i found somewhere else, have actually forgotten where. 
    GNTLGNTNotarofushingfeefFlakeNoirHedda Gablercat
  • IT.
    The Wizard of OZ.  (It counts, witches, flying monkeys and all)
    Starting NOS4A2 series.

I heard that there is a SK Marathon on AMC today.

NotaroKurbenfushingfeefFlakeNoirHedda GablercatGNTLGNT
  • Kurbens Horror Marathon list 2021

1. Fear Streat part 1 1994 (2021)
    2. Fear Street part 2 1978  (2021)
    3. Escape Room (2019)
    4. Fear Street part 3 1666 (2021)
    5. Vampires (1998)
    6. The Blob (1988)
    7. The Turning (2020)
    8. The Final Girls (2015)
    9. Boar (2017)
    10. The Dead Don't Die (2019)
    11. Les Affamés (2017)
    French-Canadian. A kind of apocalyptic movie. It starts in the middle of the apocalypse so it concentrates of the survivors tries to stay alive. It seems like there is some kind of Virus that have made some hungry for human flesh and they spread by biting. Thats my guess of whats happened before, the movie never explains what has happened. But its not a zombiemovie because dead dont rise even if it has similarities. It has some seriously creepy moments that is well done. It also has some parts thats too long. But it keeps the interest up throughout. Does anyone know what Les Affamés means? My french is on the Merci level so have no idea. 3,5/5
    fushingfeefFlakeNoirHedda GablerNotarocatGNTLGNT
  • IT.
    The Wizard of OZ.  (It counts, witches, flying monkeys and all)
    Starting NOS4A2 series.

I heard that there is a SK Marathon on AMC today.

Sound of Music also counts, there is Nazis there!! :) Tell me what you think of NPS4A2, please??
    not_nadinefushingfeefFlakeNoirHedda GablerNotarocatGNTLGNT
  • 9. A Quiet Place Part 2 (FTV)

Sequel to the 2018 hit continues the invasion of alien monsters with superior hearing skills.

While I enjoyed the first movie in this franchise for its simplicity, performances and tension, I was let down by this sequel for other reasons. The performances were excellent, and the first 15 minutes of this are some of the most tense minutes I’ve spent in a horror movie this year. So far, so good. But the movie unraveled after that. It wasn’t so much like I felt I was watching a bad movie, it was entertaining and tense. But when it was over, I was left with an empty feeling that I didn’t have after the first movie. Why did this one lack the resonance of the first movie?

For starters, the whole plot is full of cheats. The movie treats all the facts set up in the first movie as inconveniences that are cast aside so the plot can move along more smoothly. At every turn, the movie aggressively dismantles everything that was carefully set up the first movie. Remember how there was barely any dialog at all in the first one, like not even a whisper? This movie has lots of talking, sometimes even when the monster is nearby, and even the deaf girl talks quite a bit. Remember that small matter of the newborn baby, like if it cries, they’ll be heard? The baby spends most of the movie locked in a padded wooden chest. Remember how the kids were smart and self-disciplined, and this is how they survived the first movie? This time they do brash, random and downright stupid things, once again (apparently) to move the plot along. Remember the aliens that seemed almost supernaturally attuned to every sound? Yeah, that’s been compromised as well, maybe the aliens are getting deafer, dumber and lazier the more time they spend here.

I’m not a nitpicker, but two other things really bugged me (spoilers ahead). We are immediately shown an easy way the monsters can be defeated right up front, (heck, it was the finale of the first movie), yet no one seems particularly interested in, you know, just doing it again every time they encounter another monster.  Why the hell not defeat the second monster the same way you defeated the first? 
    Another thing: (spoiler) An island refuge is a safe place from the monsters for well over a year (they can’t swim or construct watercraft despite conquering interplanetary travel) but of course literally within moments of the protagonists arriving, a monster who stumbled onto a boat randomly drifts onto the island, because, you know, the plot must move forward. 

To justify a sequel, the threat level and stakes should be raised, not lowered (think Aliens compared to Alien). To make a movie satisfying, a screenwriter shouldn’t be avoiding obstacles, the characters should be allowed to overcome conflicts themselves. Instead, the story is written to make everything easier to move the plot along. This feels like a sequel that never should have been, but I imagine the pressures were huge to make a follow-up, so that’s what they did. Just don’t expect me to want to watch it again!

2 out of 5 stars.

Bob's October 2020 Horror Movie List
    *FTV denotes first-time viewings
    1. The Conjuring 3: The Devil Made Me Do It 3/5 (FTV)
    2. Possession (1981) 4/5 (FTV)
    3. The Endless 4/5 (FTV)
    4. Dead & Buried 4/5 (FTV)
    5. The Blob (1988) 4/5 (FTV)
    6. The New York Ripper 3/5 (FTV)
    7. The Day of the Beast 3/5 (FTV)
    8. Bad Ronald 3/5 (FTV)
    9. A Quiet Place 2 2/5 (FTV)

Hedda GablerFlakeNoircatGNTLGNT
  • By the way, the year on my running list should be 2021, not 2020...I am losing track of time!
    KurbenFlakeNoirHedda GablerNotarocatGNTLGNT
  • edited October 2021
    By the way, the year on my running list should be 2021, not 2020...I am losing track of time!
    It's basically the same year, Bob.
    NotarocatGNTLGNTfushingfeefHedda Gabler
  • Notaro said:
    Rewatched, Dr.Terror's House Of Horrors

Great anthology movie from Amicus studios. Five men on a train are joined by an elderly man who purports to be able to tell the future for each man using his deck of tarot cards. Great movie, great cast, only one weak story in the bunch, the voodoo tale isn't very satisfying but that aside this is a hugely enjoyable movie. (DVD viewing) 

Full movie. 

Rewatched, Kolchak: The Night Strangler
    Kolchak is once again on the case as a spate of killings of exotic dancers occur in Washington, Carl discovers that similar Murders have occurred every 20 years since the late 1800s, surely the same individual cannot be responsible... can he?  (YouTube viewing) 

Full movie. 

2021 Movie Marathon List

01. Halloween 2
    02. The Final Girls 
    03. The Haunting
    04. I, Desire 
    05. The Hole In The Ground
    06. Kolchak :The Night Stalker
    07. The Ripper
    08. Dr. Terror's House Of Horrors 
    09. Kolchak: The Night Strangler 
    Love Dr. Terror's House of Horrors.  I watch this all the time, all year long.
    FlakeNoirNotarocatGNTLGNTfushingfeef
  • 9.  Frankenstein -- 1931 --  caught on TV, Svengoolie

"Dr. Frankenstein dares to tamper with life and death by creating a human monster out of lifeless body parts."

Amazoncom Posters USA Frankenstein GLOSSY FINISH Movie Poster - FIL875  16quot x 24quot 41cm x 61cm Posters amp Prints

It's Frankenstein.  duh.

Dana's 2021 Movie Marathon list
    * indicates first time viewing

1. Malignant*
    2. Two Evil Eyes*
    3.  Midnight Mass*
    4.  You Can't Kill Stephen King*
    5.  Eraserhead*
    6. Edgar Allan Poe's Lighthouse Keeper*
    7. The Chestnut Man*
    8.  The Gorgon
    9.  Frankenstein

• 10.  Prom Night II* --  1987 -   Peacock 

"Thirty years after her accidental death at her 1957 senior prom, the tortured spirit of prom queen Mary Lou Maloney returns to seek revenge."

The Best Horror Movie Kills of All-Time 14  HELLO MARY LOU PROM NIGHT II  1987  This Is Your Brain On Film

I don't THINK I've seen this one.  But, every once in a while, I would think I have.  Who cares?

I did see the first one for sure.  While it is typical Carrie at the Prom stuff, I still kind of enjoyed it. Maybe I was really tired.  Maybe I had a stroke.  But, I just went for the cheesy ride.

1. Malignant*
    2. Two Evil Eyes*
    3.  Midnight Mass*
    5.  Eraserhead*
    7. The Chestnut Man*
    8.  The Gorgon
    9.  Frankenstein
    10. Prom Night II*

• edited October 2021
    The Conjuring* -- 2013 -- Netflix

"Paranormal investigators Ed and Lorraine Warren work to help a family terrorized by a dark presence in their farmhouse."

Amazoncom The Conjuring Poster 11 x 17-28cm x 44cm 2013 Posters amp  Prints

I haven't seen any of these Conjuring things so I was pleasantly surprised.  I enjoyed it just enough.

1. Malignant*
    2. Two Evil Eyes*
    3.  Midnight Mass*
    5.  Eraserhead*
    7. The Chestnut Man*
    8.  The Gorgon
    9.  Frankenstein
    10. Prom Night II*
    11.  The Conjuring*
  • edited October 2021
    Fractured* (2019 Netflix)

"After his wife and injured daughter disappear from an ER, a man conducts a panicked search and becomes convinced the hospital is hiding something."

I found this often frustrating, that he wasn't being heard, which of course led me to the path that they hoped I would follow.
    It was okay, filled in some time.

Flakes 2021 BVMB Horror Movie Thing:
    * = first time viewing 

1) Greta* (2018 Netflix)
    2) No One Gets Out Alive* (2021 Netflix)
    3) The Night Flier* (1997 YouTube)
    4) In the Tall Grass* (2019 Netflix)
    5) Sweet River* (2020 Netflix)
    6) The Chestnut Man* (2021 Netflix)
    7) The Hole in the Ground * (2019 Netflix)
    8) The Ritual* (2018 Netflix)
    9) Fractured* (2019 Netflix)
  • FlakeNoir said:

"After his wife and injured daughter disappear from an ER, a man conducts a panicked search and becomes convinced the hospital is hiding something."

I found this often frustrating, that he wasn't being heard, which of course led me to the path that they hoped I would follow.

* = first time viewing 

1) Greta* (2018 Netflix)
    I’m so proud of you. You are doing it — one scream at a time. 
  • FlakeNoir said:

* = first time viewing 

1) Greta* (2018 Netflix)
    I’m so proud of you. You are doing it — one scream at a time. 
    Thank you, I don't know why horror is so hard for me. I just don't like being scared anymore. 
    Hedda GablerNotarocatGNTLGNTfushingfeef
  • Dr. Terror's House of Horrors* (1965 YouTube)

No need for an introduction, Irish and Deejers have spoken about it here recently which prompted my viewing. 

Thoroughly enjoyable, great stories told by a brilliant cast... and blissfully not frightening. 

* = first time viewing 

1) Greta* (2018 Netflix)
    10) Dr. Terror's House of Horrors* (1965 YouTube)
    Hedda GablercatGNTLGNTfushingfeef
  • 12.  Premonition* -- 2007 -- Netflix

"A depressed woman learns that her husband was killed in a car accident the previous day, then awakens the next morning to find him alive and well at home; then awakens the day after that to find that he's dead."

Premonition 2007 film - Wikipedia

I don't know. Maybe it was me.  It was just so jumbled.  I knew what was going on but it just didn't seem to pull it off that well to me, it was so convoluted.  I was too busy keeping track of all her shit than sitting back and enjoying the story.  I wasn't in the mood for the job.  Any other time I would have been trying to figure it out, I just didn't put in the effort here.   I just sort of half assed my way through it.  And that ain't no way to go through life, son.

1. Malignant*
    2. Two Evil Eyes*
    3.  Midnight Mass*
    5.  Eraserhead*
    7. The Chestnut Man*
    8.  The Gorgon
    9.  Frankenstein
    10. Prom Night II*
    11.  The Conjuring*
    12. Premonition*
    FlakeNoirNotarocatGNTLGNT
  • I've seen Premonition a bunch of times, I really like this one. I'm a Sandra Bullock fan.
  • 2. The Houses October Built 2014 hulu ftv

"Found footage" style of movie, a group of friends load up in an RV and take a road trip to different haunted houses. The kind you pay admission to, with people jumping out of the walls or chasing you with chainsaws, not the empty, spooky house kind. It was pretty meh. The characters were one dimensional and there really was very little plot. Get in rv, drive to attraction, walk through, get back in rv and drive to next one. A few of the scarier attraction characters start showing up at every place, following them. 

The only thing I really liked, was one of the places featured a hayride and zombies along the road and the participants got to shoot the zombies with paint guns. It made me laugh, it looked like a bunch of fun! I would totally do that. Pew pew pew! 😀

Hoping to catch up this week, at least a little. My time with the TV has been very limited lately. 
    GNTLGNTKurbenNotarofushingfeefFlakeNoirHedda Gabler
  • 3. Little Shop of Horrors 1986,  recorded from Turner Classic Movies (TCM) 

Fun movie, repeat watch. Told Ali she should suggest the music as their marching band theme next year. (This year is music from Wicked) 

4. The Guilty 2021, ftv Netflix original

Jake Gyllenhaal is a cop in trouble for something (we find out as the movie goes on) who has been demoted to working 911 calls until his court date. He fields a call from an hysterical woman who says she was abducted. He then tries to find her before it is too late. 

More a thriller/drama than horror but I'm counting it. 😉 I usually like Jake Gyllenhaal and he had some compelling moments but it felt like he was phoning in his performance at times. (Pun not intended haha) There are a few other characters but the camera is mostly on him the entire movie as he works the phone between agencies and the woman, her daughter and her husband as he tries to find her. 

It was just ok for me. The storyline was pretty dark and depressing and maybe it was me and my mood, but I never really felt scared for the woman. There is a twist that is maybe not quite predictable but expected. 

It was an ok movie but not great. 
    GNTLGNTNotarofushingfeefFlakeNoirHedda Gabler
  • Rewatched, Hell Night.

A group of college students must spend the night in a haunted house as a sorority initiation, pretty soon the bodies start piling up. Respectable slasher with Linda Blair. (DVD viewing) 

Full movie. 

catGNTLGNTfushingfeefFlakeNoirHedda Gabler
  • Forgot to add the list🙄

2021 Movie Marathon List

01. Halloween 2
    02. The Final Girls 
    03. The Haunting
    04. I, Desire 
    05. The Hole In The Ground
    06. Kolchak :The Night Stalker
    07. The Ripper
    08. Dr. Terror's House Of Horrors 
    09. Kolchak: The Night Strangler 
    10. Superstition 
    11. Halloween 3:Season Of The Witch
    12. Hell Night
    GNTLGNTcatfushingfeefFlakeNoir
  • 3. #Alive (Netflix 2020)

The film revolves around a video game live streamer's struggle for survival as he is forced to stay alone at his apartment in Seoul during a zombie apocalypse. I would have entitled it, #WHY?.....this thing was critically well received and made bank on a low budget, but it made me question why I'm doing this to myself....bad movie flagellation...yeesh!.....on a positive note, some company had a good payday making milky white contact lenses....bleh, put one in this thing's head and let it lie down forever...

-10/5

Netizens praise new Netflix zombie movie 39Alive39 starring Park Shin-hye  and Yoo Ah-in  GMA Entertainment

The GNT's BVMB list thingy

1. Hell Fest
    2. In the Tall Grass
    3. #Alive

NotarocatKurbenfushingfeefFlakeNoirHedda Gabler
  • Kurbens Horror Marathon list 2021

1. Fear Streat part 1 1994 (2021)
    2. Fear Street part 2 1978  (2021)
    3. Escape Room (2019)
    4. Fear Street part 3 1666 (2021)
    5. Vampires (1998)
    6. The Blob (1988)
    7. The Turning (2020)
    8. The Final Girls (2015)
    9. Boar (2017)
    10. The Dead Don't Die (2019)
    11. Les Affamés (2017)
    12. Demoni (1985)
    Italian. Demons is the english name. Directed by Lamberto Bava and produced by the grandmaestro of Italian horror Dario Argento. Two female students are invited to a premier showing of a movie. They go, and there in a locked theatre, people start turning to monsters. It has some good transformation effects, a lot of blood and gore. What it lack is characterization and it is a bit inconsistent. But it works for the duration if this is your kind of thing. But if you want to see a real good italian horror movie watch one of Argentos own movies instead. Like Suspiria, Tenebrea or Deep Red. 2,5/5
    catNotarofushingfeefFlakeNoirGNTLGNTHedda Gabler
  • 10. Popcorn

Film students stage a retro horror movie marathon in an old theater slated for demolition, but a crazed killer lurking in the shadows has other plans.

I was one of the few people who actually saw this movie during its brief theatrical release back in the day, and although I could have sworn this was a late 80’s movie, it was actually 1991. My memory of it was that it was a flawed gem, with lots of fun to be had with the old movie house gimmicks, along the lines of Joe Dante’s “Matinee” if it were a horror film. This is my first re-viewing in 30 years, and my memories of the film were mostly accurate. After an iffy start and some iffy acting, the film finds its true footing once we arrive to the Dreamland movie house. This isn’t an anthology, but we’re often watching the movies that the cast is watching in the theater, along with their reactions and catcalls.

The main film is directed by Porky’s director Mark Herrier, but the three retro films within were directed by horror veteran Alan Ormsby (Children Shouldn’t Play With Dead Things, Deranged), who was fired as main director during production. This is a shame, as the movies within the movie are often more fun than the film itself, perhaps not surprising as Ormsby is the man who invented the “Hugo, Man of 1000 Faces” toy. Familiar faces include Jill Schoelen (The Stepfather), Dee Wallace Stone (Cujo, The Howling), Ray Walston (My Favorite Martian), Tony Roberts (Annie Hall), and Tom Villard (One Crazy Summer, We’ve Got It Made).

There’s an obvious fondness for the genre and a nostalgia for those old William Castle type novelties, what with a giant fiberglass mosquito flying out toward the audience, small electrical shock jolts sent to theater chairs during key moments, and innovations like “OdoRama”. The movie loses some steam in the final 20 minutes when the main villain spent too much time talking and explaining, but for the most part this is a fun movie for people who like horror movies. Perfect for getting into that Halloween spirit!

3 out of 5 stars.

Bob's October 2021 Horror Movie List
    *FTV denotes first-time viewings
    1. The Conjuring 3: The Devil Made Me Do It 3/5 (FTV)
    2. Possession (1981) 4/5 (FTV)
    3. The Endless 4/5 (FTV)
    4. Dead & Buried 4/5 (FTV)
    5. The Blob (1988) 4/5 (FTV)
    6. The New York Ripper 3/5 (FTV)
    7. The Day of the Beast 3/5 (FTV)
    8. Bad Ronald 3/5 (FTV)
    9. A Quiet Place Part II 2/5 (FTV)
    10. Popcorn 3/5

NotarocatFlakeNoirGNTLGNTHedda Gabler